Tomb Raider: Legend. A Review by me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb Raider: Legend. A Review by me.

Now I was never planning on buying this game, as I haven't played a Tomb Raider since TR3 (which I didn't like very much), but, I managed to get it for £5.99 - I won't bore you with the details how, but I did and I thought, can't go wrong really, brand new £35 game for just over a fiver.

So - It's a platformer, not top of my favourite game genres but hey.
    I'm guessing I'm about half way through the game and I really am suprised so far about how cool it actually is.

It's of course not setting any kind new trends in gameplay or innovation of sorts - but it's Tomb Raider in the good way that I liked the first two TR games.
    Great controls and Gameplay - Having big shootouts with the enemies does involve alot of mixing up dodging whilst shooting and it keeps you on your toes whilst having to think about what buttons you're pressing. There are really fun 'counter kill' type things where you can be locked on to a target then when close enough, press a certain button/s and Lara will do some kind of slow motion flip and come down shooting. There's also things like slide tackles and flying kicks. All good.
    The climbing/swinging/jumping moves are all the classic TR style and buttons which was good for me in a way so I was a little familiar with the old controls.
    There's also a tool called a 'grapple' which lets you latch onto things, pull stuff towards you etc which is a cool new twist (for me anyway, don't know if it was any of the games after TR3)
    Swimming is a little frustraitng but I have the hang of it now.

The puzzles - well I'm usually pretty good with puzzles in games, but this has kept me stuck a couple of times, yes it's really annoying because you can't progress forward, but it does get you racking your brain, which is good :D
    The levels/enviroments are awesome imo. Great landscapes/waterfalls/ ancient temples etc - the highlight so far has been Tokyo and it's Rooftops. Brilliant scenerey and you get to drive a motorbike on the roofs which is fun. There's also a long climbing sequence up one building which mixes up all the controls and is v entertaining.

Great music and SFX, you can tell there has been alot of attention to detail.
    The cutscenes/story is ok - I haven't really been 'gripped' by the storyline, just more interested in getting on with playing the game really.

As far as graphics are concerned - very pretty and sleek, which I know some of you graphics whores will love. Though the graphics never really bother me - I think with a game like Tomb Raider you expect some kind of 'epicness' and it's good to see some 'realistic' bacdrops (which is what they have focused on because the caracter's are very 'computer game-esque'.

Quite challenging (playing it on medium diff) and great fun so far - and my g/f is hooked on it too at the moment. So it's keeping her quiet for a bit

8/10 from me
    Last edited by <<Kels>>; 04-16-2006, 06:35 AM.
    LOL @ You

I finished it and got 100% in about 6 hours... i think... very short game... the shooting parts are a bit boring as well...

Pretty good game tho
    ...I sniff Ajax, drink chlorox
    Spit fresh, every breath till a lung pops...

Comment

seems cool

Comment

Originally posted by KonCeptZ
        I finished it and got 100% in about 6 hours... i think... very short game... the shooting parts are a bit boring as well...
        Pretty good game tho
        Yeah I've been playing it again today - I think im on the last level.

Could've made it a bit longer.
        LOL @ You

Comment

this is a cool thing to hear. i guess im going to go buy it now. Short games dont really botehr me too much since i dont sit down and play video games for hours on end any more or daily.

Comment

When does it drop for GameCube?
            One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Madeline, Today, 02:50 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post JanetteLee  
            Started by sqhjnpo, Today, 06:36 AM
            0 responses