GamePro picks Ps3 as winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GamePro picks Ps3 as winner

We match up the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii's best exclusive titles in a stone-cold software showdown. And the winner is...

Sure, successful third-party games like Madden are an important aspect of a console's success, but a system's exclusives are its real bread and butter. We match up the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii's exclusive games that are most likely to move consoles from the store right into your happy home. Which console wins? The results might surprise you.

Now more than a year into its lifecycle, the Xbox 360 has already seen a few great, exclusive games. But just what can we expect from 2007 and beyond? Here are the 360's most noteworthy exclusive titles thus far, as well as future reasons to show your Microsoft pride.

Gears of War

Epic's Gears of War is exactly the adrenaline boost that the Xbox 360 needed last November to compete with the hyped launches of the PS3 and Wii. If you don't own it, you're quite the fool.

Halo 3

Yeah, it's had some unfavorable press lately, but Microsoft is guaranteed another record-selling launch and a disgusting number of new consoles moved when Bungie decides the world is ready for the third chapter of war against the Covenant.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Its relatively low learning curve made oblivion a great choice for the Xbox 360 consumer. And it sold like hotcakes. You don't even have to be a RPG head to enjoy Oblivion, and it's one of the few games that has been more than worth the $60 price tag.

Rainbow Six: Vegas

The best online console game yet? Maybe, but the single-player campaign through Sin City ain't too shabby either.

Halo Wars

If it has "Halo" in the name, it's a system seller. Too bad we don't know much about this Halo-themed RTS.

Forza 2

The Forza series has quickly become Microsoft's Gran Turismo. And number 2 is looking awesome.

Fable 2

We contemplated Blue Dragon, but the American appeal of Fable 2 will make it the RPG to have in the dominant Xbox 360 region.

[UPDATE]: Oops! How could we forget Bioshock and Mass Effect? Add'd!

Bioshock

This bad boy is shaping up to be a serious dark horse contender for Game of the Year. Designed by the folks behind the underappreciated PC gem System Shock 2, Bioshock's bizarre underwater setting and horrific first-person action could prove to be one of the major reasons to own an Xbox 360 in 2007. June can't come soon enough!

Mass Effect

The latest and greatest action-RPG from the luminaries at BioWare, Mass Effect has serious system-selling potential. The epic storyline (the fate of the human race is at stake!) and the classic BioWare RPG touches should make Mass Effect a game to watch for 2007.

X-factor: Bungie Studios

Sony used to have Grand Theft Auto, and after losing that exclusive license, Bungie became even more influential for Microsoft's console. Anything the Halo developer puts out will sell, and God forbid if Hell froze over and the big MS lost its baby.

Biggest blunder: Purchasing Rare

What looked a smart move for Microsoft fast turned into a serious misstep. It became obvious after Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker: Live & Reloaded, and the horrid Perfect Dark Zero that Rare's talent has dissipated since the N64 days. But perhaps the once great development studio still has some life left. It's usually three strikes and you're out, but Rare appealed to the first-base umpire and it looks like it'll get one more shot

PS3

Think losing the GTA exclusive will hold Sony back? Think again. We can't discount the fact that the Grand Theft Auto reign is over (somewhat, at least) for Sony, but when you actually look at all the exclusive franchises the PlayStation 3 has, car jacking and gangbanging seem a little less important.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

We're not even going to doubt that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will be amazing. This game will sell a crapload of PS3s. End of story

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Sony's best online franchise probably won't let SOCOM junkies down when it hits the PS3 sometime in 2007. It is sure to be Sony's first flagship online game for the PS3.

Gran Turismo 5

It will ship at 60fps with support for 1080p. Though if Kazunori Yamauchi actually finishes it is another story. I'd say 2009? Kidding...kinda

Killzone PS3

Killzone has an amazingly huge following and is still one of the PS3's most anticipated games. The demo dropped jaws at E3 2005, though it looked like a whole bunch of fluff.

Resistance: Fall of Man

Easily the best-selling game of the initial launch bunch, as well as the highest-rated launch game. Resistance wasn't the graphical powerhouse Sony had probably hoped it would be, but it did show off some awesome, imaginative weapons from Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac. This was the first reason to own a PS3.

MotorStorm

Ridiculously good graphics in perhaps the most impressive visual console experience out there. The first game to really showcase the PS3's power should move some consoles this March.

Heavenly Sword

Gamers are still drooling over the E3 demo of Heavenly Sword where our vicious lead female tore up many a foe in an arena battle. Hopefully the rest of the game holds up to the demo's level of awesomeness.

Lair

Controlling a fire-spewing dragon with the Sixaxis as it rains hell upon the lowlies below? Count me in.

Ratchet & Clank

With the disappearance of Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank must solely take over the Sony mascot throne. And if history is any indication, Insomniac is ready to blow the cover off the PS3 with more crazy weapons than you are probably ready for; plus, pair that with the friggin' cool looking environmental demo at GDC last year and we're in for quite a treat.

Naughty Dog project

The talented makers of Jak & Daxter are on to bigger, better, and more jungle-y things, as portrayed by an awesome little demo at last year's E3. We think there is new info ready to drop very soon.

Final Fantasy XIII

I rarely find time to play RPGs and even I want this game.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Yeah, it's a remake of Ninja Gaiden Black but with upgraded graphics and Rachel as a playable character. It will be good, and obviously, obscenely difficult.

X-factor: The Metal Gear Solid series

Until Kojima "actually" discloses otherwise, Snake is sticking to Sony's platform. And that's a huge reason to pick up a PS3.

Biggest blunder: Losing GTA exclusivity

No one really knows, for sure, how it went down, but we've heard that Sony didn't push hard enough to keep arguably the most lucrative gaming franchise on its side.

Wii

Nintendo lives and dies on its exclusive games, and the Wii will be no exception. Booming Zelda sales are no surprise, and the first-party domination trend should continue throughout the lifecycle of the Wii.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess is arguably one of the best adventure games of all time, but can the rest of the games to come in 2007 uphold the high standard set by Link's latest journey?

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario in zero-G? It's coming. The next Mario will literally be out of this world, and the red plumber is sure to move a massive amount of systems when he warps onto the Wii later this year.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nintendo gamers will probably be brawling with each other to get a copy when the third iteration of Super Smash Bros. releases on the Wii.

Mario Kart Wii

A smorgasbord of Nintendo characters again throw dead animal shells and banana peels at each other, but with online multiplayer for the Wii, this is the second coming of Mario Kart.

Wii Sports

OK, so technically it comes free when you buy the dang console, but judging by the positive media and consumer praise in the last couple months, we're sure a boatload of people, young and old, bought the Wii just to bowl a few virtual frames.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Another third to a trilogy, Samus's next adventure was actually slated to be a launch title on the Wii but has now been pushed back past March of this year. Corruption will wrap up the Metoid Prime trilogy, but this surely won't be the last time we see Samus.

Mario Party 8

Expect a numerous amount of quirky mini games that use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. This will be one of the best Wii gamea for single-console multiplayer.

X-factor: New IPs

Nintendo needs some new franchises, and recycling old characters in different ways doesn't count. Take Gears of War, for example. The Xbox 360 needed a new IP and Epic delivered one hell of a knockout punch. That's just what Nintendo needs with the Wii.

Biggest blunder: Lack of HDTV support

While it may not seem like that big of a deal right now, the Wii's lack of high-definition support will become a significant factor three to five years from now when HDTVs become the standard.

The verdict...

1st place PS3

With all the negative press lately, it's hard to imagine Sony as the winner here. But when you actually look at how many probable stellar exclusive games it has lined up for the year to come, we have to put the PS3 in the number one slot. So many of these games are surefire blockbusters such as MGS4, Killzone 2, SOCOM 4, Gran Turisimo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Ratchet & Clank...and the list goes on.

Sure, the recent negative press on the PS3's high price is definitely a factor for consumers, but the probable 10-year life cycle of the system could mean not having to shell out for another console 5 years from now. And it's all about the games, really. Even after losing the GTA exclusive, Sony's list of PS3-only games is a great reason to own a PS3, even if it's not for another 9 months.

The other driving factor about Sony is that its developers are taking chances with new games on the PS3. Look at the amount of new franchises coming to the PS3, and that's a boon for the consumer.

2nd place wii

There's no doubting that the Wii has a number of blockbuster exclusive titles, but the PS3's sheer number of exclusive games beats it out...but barely. The biggest hindrance for Nintendo and the Wii is the lack of new franchises. It's all sequels for now, and while the short term success of Nintendo's established products may have the staying power to thrive for a while, everything goes stale at some point.

Look at Gears of War, and the upcoming Heavenly Sword and MotorStorm. These are new IPs that probably will lead to huge success. Nintendo needs some freshness, and it must take chances if it wants to be back on top

3rd place 360

Yes, the Xbox 360 has the biggest first-party game out there, and there's no denying that Halo 3 will be a huge-scale success. It even has Gears of War, one of the most creative and critically-acclaimed new products on the gaming market. But from here, the list gets very slim. Microsoft needs a few more great reasons to own an Xbox 360 because when the PS3 picks up some steam a year (or less) down the road, it's going to be a tough battle.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domes...es/95508.shtml
    Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
    Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
    Originally posted by Syko Squidge
    ^
    fuck off you gay piece of cunt
    Originally posted by Otto
    That shit is fuck,

they're right though.

PS3 will have MGS4, Socom, GT5 and most likely the 2 best platform games Ratchet and Clank and Jak.

my only problem with the PS3 though is that they have all these games lined up, but they're not a new franchise. Its just sequel after sequel

Comment

Originally posted by whiteGEEBZ View Post
      they're right though.
      PS3 will have MGS4, Socom, GT5 and most likely the 2 best platform games Ratchet and Clank and Jak.
      my only problem with the PS3 though is that they have all these games lined up, but they're not a new franchise. Its just sequel after sequel
      Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Resistance, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Naughty Dog's Game), White Night Story, Lair are all new games thats look to be good....Your right there are alot of sequals, but there is a good mixture of games that could turn into franchises.

Also, wasn't this posted once already?

Comment

i have no idea if this was posted before, my bad if it was
        Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
        Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
        Originally posted by Syko Squidge
        ^
        fuck off you gay piece of cunt
        Originally posted by Otto
        That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator187 View Post
          Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Resistance, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Naughty Dog's Game), White Night Story, Lair are all new games thats look to be good....Your right there are alot of sequals, but there is a good mixture of games that could turn into franchises.
          Also, wasn't this posted once already?
          yeah that naughty dog game looks insane, a real forest. But really no one mentions those games when they're defending PS3 and how its a good system.

they always mention the sequels

Comment

Originally posted by whiteGEEBZ View Post
            yeah that naughty dog game looks insane, a real forest. But really no one mentions those games when they're defending PS3 and how its a good system.
            they always mention the sequels
            Your right, but I thnk that is the same with any system. Even in that article above, with all 3 systems it listed a lot of sequals, It's alot easier to "defend" or talk about a systems sequals, since they are proven franchises, then it is to talk about a game that hasn't proven anything. People can always through out the MGS, Zelda & Halo's of the world, because people know they are proven to be solid games that many people love to play...but trying to talk about a new IP is a little harder, Heavenly Sword (PS3) & Bioshock (360) both looks like a great games I plan on buying, but just because it looks like a great game now to me doesn't meen it will end up a AAA title, no one has played them. What sounds better between 2 people arguing, "Hey we got Motorstorm,"..or.."Gran Turismo 5"

Its just alot easier for people to talk about games everyone has played or seen already.

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator187 View Post
              Your right, but I thnk that is the same with any system. Even in that article above, with all 3 systems it listed a lot of sequals, It's alot easier to "defend" or talk about a systems sequals, since they are proven franchises, then it is to talk about a game that hasn't proven anything. People can always through out the MGS, Zelda & Halo's of the world, because people know they are proven to be solid games that many people love to play...but trying to talk about a new IP is a little harder, Heavenly Sword (PS3) & Bioshock (360/PC) both looks like a great games I plan on buying, but just because it looks like a great game now to me doesn't meen it will end up a AAA title, no one has played them. What sounds better between 2 people arguing, "Hey we got Motorstorm,"..or.."Gran Turismo 5"
              Its just alot easier for people to talk about games everyone has played or seen already.
              great post.

its funny because even when games such as Gears Of War were mentioned for 360 and there were videos and pics of it, I still drew attention more to Perfect Dark Zero or Rainbow Six Vegas.

even so, 2007 will be a great year for new franchises. One game I'm really looking forward to is Assasins Creed

Comment

Nice read, although I still believe the 360 will be the better console in 07. Just my 2 cents.
                LISTEN TO AND DOWNLOAD MY NEW EP ENTITLED "ĘP" at http://composed.bandcamp.com/ FOR FREE!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT MUSIC!

Comment

Great read, although I think 360 will be ahead until holiday season in 2008.

Can anyone explain what "bad press" Halo 3 received though?

And Microsoft bought out Bungie when they were designing Halo 1 for the PC so they could release it on XBOX... why does GamePro not know that?
                  Clean Since: 12.10.08

Comment

^ GamePro is used by Sony as a hype machine for it's systems. Sony backs like 5 magazines on electronics and Microsoft backs like 10. All are biased. The only one I cannot figure out is GameInformer, I have no idea, but they seem pretty independent But I would not be surprised if they are run by Microsoft as well. Microsoft is fucking nuts with their media machine though. They even buy advertisement space in Sony publications. That is how fucking desperate these people are to completely media-wash the masses. But hey it works I suppose. http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/microso...ers-232018.php
                    Last edited by gdillinjah; 02-10-2007, 07:19 AM.
                    One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

well thats because GamePro are retards

Comment

I like how more than half the notable games for the Wii are mario games lol

but eh, who cares really. its just their opinion. theres more support
                        towards the wii than the ps3 if u look at all the comparisons

Comment

Originally posted by gdillinjah View Post
                          ^ GamePro is used by Sony as a hype machine for it's systems. Sony backs like 5 magazines on electronics and Microsoft backs like 10. All are biased. The only one I cannot figure out is GameInformer, I have no idea, but they seem pretty independent But I would not be surprised if they are run by Microsoft as well. Microsoft is fucking nuts with their media machine though. They even buy advertisement space in Sony publications. That is how fucking desperate these people are to completely media-wash the masses. But hey it works I suppose. http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/microso...ers-232018.php
                          What about Nintendo Power. Fucking bias assholes....psh...
                          LISTEN TO AND DOWNLOAD MY NEW EP ENTITLED "ĘP" at http://composed.bandcamp.com/ FOR FREE!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT MUSIC!

Comment

^ Obviously you've never read Nintendo Power in your life. Number one, it's solely dedicated to covering Nintendo stuff which is obvious right off the bat. Second, it gives unbiased reviews of games on Nintendo platforms. Calling Nintendo Power biased towards Nintendo is stupid and shows that you've NEVER read the magazine.

By the way, the day you see someone quote Nintendo Power as a source for anything other than news, you go ahead and point it out, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Nintendo Power
                              WII IS TEH WINZ
                              Clean Since: 12.10.08

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by hunnymin, Today, 12:12 AM
                              0 responses