HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Realer Developer view on which console is better......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Realer Developer view on which console is better......

EA's Dr. Andrew Garrett: Skip the PlayStation3
    Posted on Feb 12th, 2007 with stocks: ERTS, MSFT, NTDOY.PK, SNE

Roger Ehrenberg submits: In the wake of my somewhat incendiary post on Electronic Arts (ERTS), I discovered an interesting comment on the blog FreeRepublic.com from Dr. Andrew Garrett, a game developer for EA. By way of background, Dr. Garrett is a major dude, having joined EA in early 2003 as part of a major hiring spree. Here is a quick bio that was posted on the blog MegaGames in the wake of a spate of senior EA hires from Hollywood:

Dr. Andrew Garrett: Joins EALA from Dragonstone Software, where he developed scientific engines for moving hair and clothes on game characters, and artificial intelligence routines for more than 35 creatures in the Dragon's Lair 3D game.
    So, here is the comment Dr. Garrett made this afternoon (it is comment #12):
    I make video games, currently working for Electronic Arts on the latest Command & Conquer. Last year, the prediction was that Sony (SNE) would win the next-gen war, that the PS3 would be the dominant console, just like the PS2 was.

That is no longer the case. The extremely strong performance of the [Nintendo (NTDOY.PK)] Wii, combined with the miserable performance of Sony has revised pretty much everyone's expectations. Right now, most of us here think the [Microsoft (MSFT) Xbox] 360 will be on top for this generation, with the battle for second place between Sony and Nintendo (and that's a major shock, as we'd nearly written Nintendo off for the non-handheld market.) Most of us still think Sony will beat off Nintendo, simply due to the older graphics on the Wii, but it's not a sure thing.

My opinion - get the 360 and/or the Wii. Skip the PS3 unless there's a big change in the near future.

Drew Garrett
    Now, let's remember, folks, I AM NOT A FANBOY OF ANY STRIPE. Here is a comment I posted a few days back in response to some heated (and almost angry) comments following from Tuesday's post that should clarify my position on EA, single stock investing and my approach to single stock posts:

Hi Dave, thanks for commenting. I knew this day would come, when somebody would blow a microchip on my blog. First of all, Dave, deep breaths. Ok.

Now either you've never read [my posts[ before or you haven't been paying attention, but I don't [care] about ERTS per se or any other single stock I write about. I don't own single stocks, nobody in my company owns single stocks, I don't have material influence over any company that deals in views on single stocks. Are we clear? No conflicts, right?

When I write on single stocks, it is strictly a reflection of data and perspective that is extracted from the vibrant Internet dialogue. Period. All I do is "connect the dots" and use data and my own prose to express what I am seeing. No axe to grind, no agenda, no nothing except my desire to leverage my company's tools to contribute to the body of knowledge around single stocks some people care about.

And as it relates to my being "Kreskin," well, if you've read my earlier posts on Sony, Electronic Arts and Nintendo, the Internet HAS gotten it pretty right. Read: not me, pal. I take zero credit. The Internet. It was the Internet that back in May raised the issue of the blue laser diode shortages that would inevitably hurt the supply of PS3s come Christmas season. It was the Internet that highlighted the reactions at E3 concerning the Wii, getting the ball rolling on the excitement that carried through launch. It was the Internet that shined a bright light on the issue of the disparity in development costs between PS3/Xbox 360 and the Wii, further upping the stakes for game developers focused on the first two platforms. That's not me talking, Dave. It's the Internet.

You don't have to like what I'm reflecting. You can think its full of [&!*%]. And that's ok. But don't point your finger at me, Dave. Because I really don't care. Stomp your feet and argue your points on your blog. And hopefully you'll be persuasive and change the tone of the discussion.

Best, Roger
    So anyway, I thought my readers would find Dr. Garrett's comment both interesting, insightful and consistent with everything I've been talking about for the last three months. And he is an insider. I am just, well, me. So if you don't trust my opinion, maybe you'll trust his.

Had to do it.
    One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Loved the title of the thread...it's catchy!

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Borsyk, Yesterday, 02:01 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post Cedeber
    by Cedeber

Started by Friese, Today, 08:53 AM