X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rule: DO NOT USE VGCHARTZ FOR SALES-AGE

Why?

The guy that runs that website is a fraud.

He's been caught time after time to alter his numbers.

He's also been banned from the biggest gaming forum on the internet [neo-gaf.com] - and they do not ban for small reasons.
    Who the hell do you think I am?!

whoa really, dam i always use that, u know any other ones we can use then

Comment

Originally posted by cousinit View Post
      whoa really, dam i always use that, u know any other ones we can use then
      I usually check in with Media Create [Japanese weekly charts, software out every Wednesday, and hardware Thursdays], and NPD [comes out every second Thursday of the month] to get sales estimates.

PAL is a bit tricky because of the number of countries involved. And all of the PAL tracking agencies do not disclose hardware nor software numbers, but only rankings for software. Example, Halo 3 was the number one selling game in the UK last week, while Fifa [various versions] was number 2-8 or something. They only release hardware numbers for launch, so it's really an estimation at this point.

I know Sony changed their reporting policy from "sold to retailers" to "sold to consumers" not too long ago, so when they release a PR, that's the best to go on with actual hardware numbers for Europe. Microsoft and Nintendo still release sold to retailers as far as I know. But like with any PR, take it with a grain of salt.

I'll start posting weekly Media-Create and Monthly NPD numbers when they are out.

Comment

I've never even used that site before. But good looking out.
        Bring on the NFL season. Let's go Bucs!!!
        Xbox Live & PSN: biggiejerseys
        Be sure to send me a message telling me who you are.

Comment

Btw- The numbers for individual games are spot-on. Idk about the total sales for the systems, since the companies only release numbers infrequently. But then again it says right on the site that the console sales are projections.
          Clean Since: 12.10.08

Comment

just coming back to this, i got the guniness world records gamers edition and they use VGChartz to validate 1 of the records in the book, surely if they use it it cant be as bad as you say?

Comment

Originally posted by cousinit View Post
              just coming back to this, i got the guniness world records gamers edition and they use VGChartz to validate 1 of the records in the book, surely if they use it it cant be as bad as you say?
              Well, looks like Guinness needs to be banned then, too.

And no, they are bad. The guy ioni that runs it, is a full blown liar.

Comment

well its been ages since this and im letting you know that the 2009 gaming edition once again quotes vgchartz

Comment

wut

Comment

If that guy's been caught why is he still allowed to run the website?
                    Originally posted by Ill-Finite
                    i told this great whisperer to roll 2 da spot at the deadline, weed for money, he wanted big money but all i had was kid kash.......thats when he verbally assaulted me

Comment

^ Because it isn't "lying" when it is stated that all numbers on the site are estimates, and not actual numbers. All sales numbers on the site are given a 10% + or - leeway from actual retail data, and this is checked when NPD releases their numbers. VGChartz is almost always accurate within 5% of the actual retail numbers.

I don't know anything about the 'guy running the site' being 'proven a liar' or banned from anywhere except this thread made 2 years ago. The site isn't run by just one person anymore, as it was when this thread was created (and the website was one white page with one chart of console sales on it). They track individual game and console sales now, and have a team of analysts to determine this as well as being run by an entire Management Team.

At the core of VGChartz is a team of analysts with over ten years of experience, who are commited to providing weekly estimates of current videogaming trends. Sales estimates are split into three major regions – Americas , Japan and Others – and are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

* Polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
                      * Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
                      * Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
                      * Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
                      * Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

For all hardware and top 50 software, sales estimates will be arrived at from at least three of the distinct methods listed above to ensure accuracy. For software below the top 50, sales estimates may be arrived at from only one or two of the methods since less data (and time!) is available. For lifetime sales, particularly for games and hardare that have now stopped selling, data can be considered to be very accurate and will be checked against manufacturer shipment data. VGChartz holds no responsibility for the use of our weely sales estimates – any business decisions made are made at your own risk.

VGChartz has been cited and featured by a number of leading worldwide publications such as Reuters TV, The BBC, CNN Money, The New York Times, Fortune, Business 2.0, Forbes, The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Süddeutsche Zeitung, The Birmingham News, The Toronto Star, The Indianapolis Star, The Inquirer, NU.nl, CNet, Seeking Alpha, O’Reilly Radar, Yahoo Games and The Guiness Book of World Records.
                      Please note this thread was made when everyone was trashing PS3's sales during it's first year released and lethal was consistently defending PS3 from all these fanboys. Everyone cited VGChartz as a main source of pointing out Sony's failure, and this thread was made.

But 2 years later, and I haven't seen any evidence that the website is or ever was fraudulent other that this. So I'm labeling this as 'BULLSHIT'. It's a legitimate company now run by 8 Managers and who knows how many other employees, and even still, estimates are by definition altered sales figures. THEY ARE GUESSES. The only difference is, that when compared to actual data when it is released, VGChartz is consistently accurate within a certain percentage. That's why Reuters TV, The BBC, CNN Money, The New York Times, Fortune, Business 2.0, Forbes, The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Süddeutsche Zeitung, The Birmingham News, The Toronto Star, The Indianapolis Star, The Inquirer, NU.nl, CNet, Seeking Alpha, O’Reilly Radar, Yahoo Games and The Guiness Book of World Records all use it as the most accurate way of determining video game sales before official numbers have been released.

lethal, maybe what you said was true, 2 years ago. But I think it's time we went along with what FORBES is considering to be a legitimate company instead of harboring this conspiracy theory. Where's the proof?
                      Last edited by -Sil-; 11-23-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

^ Before I read your whole post I was going to bring up the fact that the "estimates" are very specific, every digit has a number. For example, the numbers for Final Fantasy's first week were 1,508,558. If it was supposed to be an estimated I would expect something like 1,500,000 but vgchartz offers a lot more than that and I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
                        Originally posted by Ill-Finite
                        i told this great whisperer to roll 2 da spot at the deadline, weed for money, he wanted big money but all i had was kid kash.......thats when he verbally assaulted me

Comment

^ They do exit polling and then use an algorithm to determine their sales estimates. That's why the numbers aren't rounded off.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by ijdthuad, Today, 03:09 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post ijdthuad