Xbox 360 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 thread

You might have heard we’re on the dawn of a new generation. This November will see the launch of the first next generation games console, the “XBOX 360” Microsoft announced they had plans for a predecessor for the popular Xbox, they announced a project codenamed Xenon in September 04 once they publicly announced the next gen gem was in the making the rumour mill started to turn. First came all sorts of stats all false of course, then there was a flourish of false pictures here’s some examples below.

Although nothing like the final design they’re very well done. Microsoft never once said they where fake nor real they may be rough concept designs but we’ll never know.

Then came the months running up to E3 2005, first was Ourcolony.com a viral site set up by Microsoft that featured a few puzzles you had to get a group of people to figure out cryptic clues in return a few pictures and sneak peak videos. Ourcolony then dropped a final bomb by declaring the name of there next generation the “XBOX 360” at the same time they released a video of Microsoft employees showing the console and the design process.

At E3 they finally gave us a full list of features and announced the 360 would be released in 2005 but never confirmed an exact date. Below you will find a full confirmed list of the XBOX 360 specifications.

Xbox 360 System Performance Specifications
    Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

* Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
    * Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
    * VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
    * 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
    * 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

* 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

* 10 MB of embedded DRAM
    * 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
    * Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance

* 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate

* 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance

* 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory

* 512 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 RAM
    * Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

* 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    * 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    * 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance

* 1 teraflop

Storage

* Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive
    * 12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
    * Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O

* Support for up to four wireless game controllers
    * Three USB 2.0 ports
    * Two memory unit slots

Optimized for Online

* Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music
    * Built-in Ethernet port
    * Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
    * Video camera ready

Digital Media Support

* Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
    * Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras and Windows XP-based PCs
    * Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive
    * Custom playlists in every game
    * Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    * Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers

High-Definition Game Support

* All games supported at 16:9, 720p, and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    * Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported

Audio

* Multi-channel surround sound output
    * Supports 48KHz 16-bit audio
    * 320 independent decompression channels
    * 32-bit audio processing
    * Over 256 audio channels

System Orientation

* Stands vertically or horizontally

Customizable Face Plates

* Interchangeable to personalize the console

As you can see the console is a very powerful box in fact its more powerful than a lot of home pc, so how does this console look here’s the answer…

Microsoft also refused to comment on price but speculation was ripe a lot of magazines and website started saying it would need to be in the range of $400 - $500 dollars but MS still refused to name a price or date. Finally in the last month these questions have been answered there will be 2 packs available….

1st titled the core system includes An Xbox 360 minus the Chrome drive bay and only includes, 1x standard wired controller, a faceplate, and a standard AV cable. It will retail for $299.99 US £209.99 in England and €299.99 in the rest of Europe.

CORE SYSTEM

2nd is the Premium system an Xbox 360 with a Chrome drive, a detachable 20-GB hard-drive, a wireless controller, faceplate, headset, a component HD AV cable, an Ethernet cable, and for a limited time, a remote controller and will retail for $399 US, £279 England and €399 in the rest of Europe.

PREMIUM SYSTEM

*Both systems will include a silver Xbox Live Silver membership and a trial for Xbox Live Gold.

There is also a full list of accessories.
    • Xbox 360 Faceplate (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
    • Xbox 360 Hard Drive (20 GB) (Suggested Retail Price: $99.99 U.S./E99.99/£69.99)
    • Xbox 360 Memory Unit (64 MB) (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E34.99/£22.99)
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter (Suggested Retail Price: $99.99 U.S./E79.99 /£59.99)
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 U.S./E44.99/£32.99)
    • Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
    • Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack (Suggested Retail Price: $11.99 U.S./E14.99/£9.99)
    • Xbox 360 Controller (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E34.99/£24.99)
    • Xbox 360 Headset (Suggested Retail Price: $19.99 U.S./E19.99/£14.99)
    • Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote (Suggested Retail Price: $29.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)
    • Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable (Suggested Retail Price $39.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)
    • Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (US only) Xbox 360 SCART AV Cable (Europe only) (Suggested Retail Price: $29.99 U.S./E24.99/£17.99)
    • Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable (Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./E29.99/£19.99)

The Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with “SOME” Xbox games but you will need the hard disk drive to play them as for the date Microsoft are stating to be on target for a thanksgiving release in US with a UK/EUROPE release of November 28th.

All in all the console looks graphically & visually stunning I hope this round up has been of some help to you and I’ll see you in the next generation.

Humidfreak
    D12World.com
    Rapbasement.com & RB Network
    Last edited by HumidFreak; 08-20-2005, 07:06 PM.

the core system is a rip off and youd be stupid to buy it. they just made it so they could raise the price of the premium system which is what everyone whos dumb enough to fall for microsofts little scam is gonna go buy.

if you buy the core system be prepared to pay over 200$ in accessorys later on.

i use to want the 360 but i'm not paying 399 + games for it, that's just wackkkkkkkkk!

Comment

Originally posted by P2K5
      the core system is a rip off and youd be stupid to buy it. they just made it so they could raise the price of the premium system which is what everyone whos dumb enough to fall for microsofts little scam is gonna go buy.

if you buy the core system be prepared to pay over 200$ in accessorys later on.

i use to want the 360 but i'm not paying 399 + games for it, that's just wackkkkkkkkk!
      Hey! Plus you get to pay to play online too! That's a helluva deal!

Comment

^no
        if you're a silver member(everyone) then you play for free
        if you want a golden membership you gotta pay
        golden membership features more online usage like downloading trailers n shit
        RIP PROOF
        You're Chilling With Bugz Now. You'll Be Missed But Never Forgotten

R-mean: BROKEN WATER
        Check out the site for samples!
        R
        !!PENTAGON!!

Comment

The core system is a rip off. And I won't be paying out 500 something dollars plus tax to get the premium package plus a few games. I will be waiting a while before I buy any next gen system. On another forum someone posted saying how they think the core system is a bad idea because it will be holding back developers from making games to their full potential. Which makes sense since alot of people will buy the core system. I think the hard drive should also come standard. But they will release it and it will sell just as many as the premium package. And what is up will all these damn accessories. This thing seems very expensive to own. And what happened to the generation of HD or whatever the fuck. The HDTV cables don't even come standard. I hope the system flops and Microsoft never makes another.

This is almost as big a scam as what Microsoft pulled at the launch of the XBOX. I got mine the day it launched. With no good games by the way other than DOA3 which I still own and play. If you don'w know what I'm talking about, the XBOX was like 500 dollars or something unless you bought 2 games with it. Then it was dropped to like 300.
          Last edited by evil_genius; 08-21-2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Nicely compiled Humid

Anyway, in my opinion the core system should have included the hard drive + HDTV cables (they did term this as the 'HD Era', right?). It's a rip off, no doubt about it. If I'm not mistaken I thought that Microsoft had previously announced that the core system would come with a 20GB hard drive, what happened to that? I'm seriously confused (and pissed) now. I had my mind set on paying $300 for the system with a hard drive, but now it seems like buying the core system doesnt make much sense. I would definatly want a hard drive, HDTV cables, and a wireless controller....and buying all that shit seperate makes no sense.

Comment

Nicely done Humid.

Yeah the Core System is a rip off. I'm really looking forward to 360 though, but I may wait to buy it until PS3 comes out when Microsoft would obviously lower the 360's price. Now unless certain games are launch titles(like Oblivion for example), I'll buy it at launch. If not then I don't mind waiting, I still got a lot of playing to do with my Xbox anyways.

Comment

More Viral Marketing from Microsoft
                Another mysterious web site is launched by Microsoft.
                by David Clayman
                August 22, 2005 - This weekend Microsoft launched a cryptic new web site at origenxbox360.com. The site is composed of a single page of flash showing a tree, an orange bunny, and a numerical countdown in the background. This sort of thing is old hat to gamers already acquainted with Microsoft's previous viral marketing campaigns ilovebees and ourcolony. Considering the approaching launch window of Xbox 360, this time the stakes are a bit higher.

The first indication that new campaign was afoot came early Saturday when the screen name "gamem8ker" signed online. This name was given as an early hint on the Ourcolony page which was produced by 42 Entertainment. The mysterious page hides a number of secrets.

The countdown timer in the background will end on September 27th at noon. What will occur at this time is anyone's guess but looking back on ilovebees offers a suggestion. Devoted fans of that "alternate reality game" were rewarded with a chance to play Halo 2 early at a private gathering. Origen might conclude with a similar preview of 360 hardware and software.

If viewers right click on the page, and press the "forward" option in the flash player the rabbit disappears and is replaced with an Origen logo at the bottom of the screen. The original picture of the rabbit looks as if it is hiding something, possibly a 360 console.

Microsoft has also registered the site Origenxbox360.net which is a replica of the .com page and origenxbox360.org which redirects to a Google search for "Oriental Generation."

Comment

J Allard Talks Pricing, Compatibility
                  At German show, Allard says 360 backward compatibility requires hard drive, bigger HDs will appear in the future, and hinted at a black 360.
                  by Douglass C. Perry
                  August 22, 2005 - During the German Game Show Microsoft lifestyle writer Major Nelson conducted an online chat with Vice President and Chief XNA Architect J Allard about the recent Xbox 360 price announcements. For the most part Allard repeated the mantra "it's a great value for the money," but the articulate executive also tackled the more pertinent issues of backward compatibility, high definition uses and the AV cables, memory cards, the necessity for having a hard drive, upgradeability, and more.

The most crucial element of the conversation revolved on the subject of hard drives. Allard admitted the HD is a necessity for backward compatibility to play Xbox 1 games. He said backward compatibility will require a hard drive, rendering the thriftier Core System far less useful for gamers intent on playing backward Xbox games.

"Because we didn't abstract storage in the first generation Xbox, backward compatibility [on Xbox 360] will require a hard drive," Allard said. "The good news is that the core system owners can upgraded if they decide to update at a later date."

Allard explained the hard drive can help speed load times, but Microsoft has worked with developers to ensure games load efficiently without it. Allard pointed to the efficiency of the system's dual-layered 12X DVD.

Allard touched on potential buyers of the Premium Package who don't own an HDTV yet. The AV pack in the $399.99 package contains component and composite cables so you can connect to both standard and HDTVs.

"This means it will pretty much work with all HD and SD sets out there," he explained. "The other cool thing is that you can take that cable between high def and standard def TVs."

Engaging in the upcoming battle for standardized formats, Allard said the future will be "interesting." "When we designed the initial Xbox many people asked if SACS or DVD audio would be the successor to the CD format for music. As everyone knows the real successor was mp3 and digital distribution with things like Napster, Ipod and MSN music. While there is a lot of talk about this in the industry it will be interesting to see what the exact future of this is for movies. Of course I think there will be a need for higher capacity optical media for storage applications. We prefer HD-DVD to Blu-Ray in terms of the flexibility it offers to different applications as well as the infrastructure costs to the market."

When addressing wifi, Allard explained that the power of the CPU and GPU were the bulk of the design investment, emphasizing the importance of "kick-butt games."

"We had a fixed budget and could not do it all," He said. "In the end we had a budget and had to offer wifi as an option, but we did decide to add "a" as a standard in addition to b and g. We are also compatible with existing devices already on the market."

When asked why Microsoft even offered the Core System at all, the talkative executive explained that the Core System wasn't designed around "you guys," i.e, the hardcore gamers in the chat room.

"Similar to the shuffle, the Boxter, the 4:3 TV, the 1mpix camera, we designed the core system as a way to get folks to come into the family at a cheaper prices and decide if and how they scale the system," he said. "The great thing about our approach, unlike these examples, is that the core owner can upgrade the system and match the capabilities of the premium system when the time is right for them."

Allard mentioned that while there is no current plan for a black Xbox 360 at launch, but that customer feedback will help Microsoft detemine faceplate designs and additional console colors: "I expect down the line we will get feedback that people want other colors and we will provide it."

Finally, on the subject of the $399.99 package, and its steep pricing, Allard put the 360 I perspective.

"I think that the capabilities we are offering with Xbox 360 are unmatched in the history of videogaming. It's a great value. And the system that most of the folks in this chat room are going to prefer. I saw a posting earlier today where someone looked up the historical prices and capabilities of games systems. It was worth noting that the ps2 launched at $368 (in Japan) with no hard drive, no online service, no memory unit, no wireless, no voice, no network adapter, no remote, and only support for two controllers. That's not the reason we priced the system this way but it does provide a comparative frame of reference for what you are getting. When you consider you are getting the most powerful games system, best CD player, digital media player, movie player, etc. it's a great value."

Comment

wow

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?site=NLF0823

Comment

Originally posted by game.net
                      Please note: We are now unable to promise delivery of the Xbox 360 pre-Christmas. We will endeavour to fulfil new orders placed for the system as soon as is possible but are currently unable to speculate when exactly that will be. We are however, able to continue to take orders for our first allocation of the Xbox 360 Core System until further notice. For more information please see our F.A.Q.

sold out already

Comment

What games are confirmed for the launch date? If there are at least 2 good games I'll get one but im not paying all that money and then paying out £40 for some crap game
                        There's no longevity living off negativity
                        Fuck it, I'd rather sell reefer than do pizza delivery

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLanternUK
                          What games are confirmed for the launch date? If there are at least 2 good games I'll get one but im not paying all that money and then paying out £40 for some crap game

Xbox 360 Launch Lineup?
                          Retailers have lined up the games in preparation for November. Which are they?
                          by Douglass C. Perry
                          August 10, 2005 - North American retailer Electronics Boutique, which expects Microsoft to ship the Xbox 360 as early as November 2, 2005 for an MSRP of $299.99, has comprised a complete, albeit questionable, list of X360 games for the console launch, IGN learned today from several EB outlets.

The list IGN acquired from EB retailers today features 21 launch titles, including three first-party games from Microsoft Game Studios -- Perfect Dark LE (i.e. Limited Edition), Kameo: Elements of Power, and Project Gotham Racing 3, approximate pricing, and sku numbers for every game.

Microsoft representatives officially re-confirmed with IGN today Rare titles Perfect Dark and Kameo would definitely launch day and date with the system, echoing Vice President Peter Moore's comments prior to E3. "PGR3 should launch with the system, if everything works according to plan," said a Microsoft representative. "But those first two (Perfect Dark and Kameo) are our big pushes for day one."

The full list, posted here alphabetically, includes:

Amped 3 (2K Games)

Call of Duty 2 (Activision)

Condemned (Sega)

Dead Or Alive 4 (Tecmo)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)

Final Fantasy XI (Microsoft)

Full Auto (Sega)

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)

Gun (Activision)

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft)

Madden NFL 06 (EA)

NBA 2K6 (2K Games)

NHL 2K6 (2K Games)

The Outfit (THQ)

Perfect Dark LE (Microsoft)

Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft)

Quake 4 (Activision)

Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)

Saints Row (THQ)

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)

Top Spin 2 (2K Games)
                          There were noticeable mistakes, however. The Godfather, for instance, was still listed as a launch title, even though EA officially announced its delay until Q1 2006. Too Human Part 1 was included, and Microsoft officially told IGN that was incorrect (duh). It also listed Burnout Revenge as a launch title, even though EA confirmed with IGN that a version of Burnout Revenge wouldn't appear until 2006.

Xbox 360 second wave launch titles, which EB has scheduled for November 16, include the majority of Electronic Arts' games:
                          Burnout Revenge

FIFA Soccer 06

Peter Jackson's King Kong

NBA Live 06

Need For Speed Most Wanted

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
                          Namco's Frame City Killer is listed as releasing November 19, 2005.

EB's own data includes a $59.99 price for every Xbox 360 game, except one, Kameo, which listed at $49.99. The retailer told IGN that software prices weren't fixed yet, as Microsoft, third-party publishers, and presumably North American retailers hash out final prices.

EB even has Halo 3 listed as shipping July 1, 2006, presumably the same day as Sony's PlayStation 3.

We'll have more on Xbox 360 launch titles soon.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_genius
                            looks like ill be getting the ultimate bundle

Comment

Originally posted by HumidFreak
                              Xbox 360 Launch Lineup?
                              Retailers have lined up the games in preparation for November. Which are they?
                              by Douglass C. Perry
                              August 10, 2005 - North American retailer Electronics Boutique, which expects Microsoft to ship the Xbox 360 as early as November 2, 2005 for an MSRP of $299.99, has comprised a complete, albeit questionable, list of X360 games for the console launch, IGN learned today from several EB outlets.

The list IGN acquired from EB retailers today features 21 launch titles, including three first-party games from Microsoft Game Studios -- Perfect Dark LE (i.e. Limited Edition), Kameo: Elements of Power, and Project Gotham Racing 3, approximate pricing, and sku numbers for every game.

Microsoft representatives officially re-confirmed with IGN today Rare titles Perfect Dark and Kameo would definitely launch day and date with the system, echoing Vice President Peter Moore's comments prior to E3. "PGR3 should launch with the system, if everything works according to plan," said a Microsoft representative. "But those first two (Perfect Dark and Kameo) are our big pushes for day one."

The full list, posted here alphabetically, includes:

Amped 3 (2K Games)

Call of Duty 2 (Activision)

Condemned (Sega)

Dead Or Alive 4 (Tecmo)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)

Final Fantasy XI (Microsoft)

Full Auto (Sega)

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)

Gun (Activision)

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft)

Madden NFL 06 (EA)

NBA 2K6 (2K Games)

NHL 2K6 (2K Games)

The Outfit (THQ)

Perfect Dark LE (Microsoft)

Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft)

Quake 4 (Activision)

Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)

Saints Row (THQ)

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)

Top Spin 2 (2K Games)
                              There were noticeable mistakes, however. The Godfather, for instance, was still listed as a launch title, even though EA officially announced its delay until Q1 2006. Too Human Part 1 was included, and Microsoft officially told IGN that was incorrect (duh). It also listed Burnout Revenge as a launch title, even though EA confirmed with IGN that a version of Burnout Revenge wouldn't appear until 2006.

Xbox 360 second wave launch titles, which EB has scheduled for November 16, include the majority of Electronic Arts' games:
                              Burnout Revenge

FIFA Soccer 06

Peter Jackson's King Kong

NBA Live 06

Need For Speed Most Wanted

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
                              Namco's Frame City Killer is listed as releasing November 19, 2005.

EB's own data includes a $59.99 price for every Xbox 360 game, except one, Kameo, which listed at $49.99. The retailer told IGN that software prices weren't fixed yet, as Microsoft, third-party publishers, and presumably North American retailers hash out final prices.

EB even has Halo 3 listed as shipping July 1, 2006, presumably the same day as Sony's PlayStation 3.

We'll have more on Xbox 360 launch titles soon.
                              You forgot Huxley and Dead risen, and i'm sure your forgot some more.
                              My last.fm profile

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by pdmhuqwdghko, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post pdmhuqwdghko