HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Rein interview about the PS3 (Physics Monster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Rein interview about the PS3 (Physics Monster)

Shack: What are your thoughts on AGEIA's PPU hardware? Any thoughts about how that's going to take off?

Mark Rein: One thing AGEIA's done that's really smart is that--well, if you've seen our PS3 demo, and this is really version .1, really not a finished performance at all, but we've got some really great cool physics things going on PS3. They've done a really good job of optimizing their library to work well with the SPUs in the Cell processor, which means we're going to be able to get a lot of physics performance out of PlayStation 3. Also on Xbox 360 to some extent, but definitely on PS3 we're going to be able to get a lot of physics capabilities out of that. Which means that, to bring [games using those methods] to a PC, you're probably going to need the hardware. Or you could maybe scale it up even further on the PC, I believe, with their hardware. I think that bodes really well for them if developers go nuts and do really cool physics on PlayStation 3, then if people want to play it to that level on PC, they'll buy the card. So it's a matter of them coming out with great applications, great games that use it. I know Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter will be using the hardware, and Unreal Tournament 2007 will be using the hardware. Not today, but eventually. So I think that's pretty exciting for them, and I think it's going to be pretty cool.
    http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006...6_markrein_1.x

Looking good.
    Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
    Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

If you havnt seen any of the AEGIA PhysX Demo videos check them out HERE & HERE

Comment

V.nice.Them videos are ridiculous.

Comment

Am I the only one who questions the practical applications these have in actual games? Think of this for a minute:

You destroy this water tower in the game and it bends the wrong way and blocks the path you HAVE to take in order to continue. What now? Restart and hope that gravity works in your favor? Or do you opt for a pre-rendered cutscene that nullifies the point of this engine but leaves the correct path open?

Basically, this LOOKS pretty cool, but until it actually makes games more playable, I'm a skeptic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
          Am I the only one who questions the practical applications these have in actual games? Think of this for a minute:
          You destroy this water tower in the game and it bends the wrong way and blocks the path you HAVE to take in order to continue. What now? Restart and hope that gravity works in your favor? Or do you opt for a pre-rendered cutscene that nullifies the point of this engine but leaves the correct path open?
          Basically, this LOOKS pretty cool, but until it actually makes games more playable, I'm a skeptic.
          Basically that is YOUR way of thinking.

How about continuing a different path thus making the game limitless and completely non-linear and different effects and scenarios happen each time.Remember you are not a game developer un-american thus your way of thinking is flawed compared to the multi-talented programmers,artists,coders,script writers etc.Imagine NOT having a pre-rendered cut scene but scripting the way you play ala resident evil 4's interactive cut-scenes and Dark cloud's customizable worlds.

Thats just a minor possibility and start.

Comment

Originally posted by Apathy
            Basically that is YOUR way of thinking.
            No, I have yet to see a game that is COMPLETELY open-ended and I bet you haven't either. Think about applying this in current games. How would it affect things? THAT'S what I'm talking about.

It not only requires a shift with developers, but also consumers. Developers cater to consumers and consumers have again and again made it clear (with their money) that they prefer derivative and repetitive gameplay. How does this fit in? Tell me how we can achieve completely destructable enviroments without compromising gameplay. I'm curious to hear it.
            How about continuing a different path thus making the game limitless and completely non-linear and different effects and scenarios happen each time.Remember you are not a game developer un-american thus your way of thinking is flawed compared to the multi-talented programmers,artists,coders,script writers etc.
            I'm saying I would like to SEE IT IN ACTUAL GAME ACTION. Understand now? Possibilities? Sure. Practical applications? Still pending.

I understand what you are saying, but you're blinding yourself to REALITY. This takes a lot more than, "Oh gee! We've got a physics engine now!". It's a MAJOR undertaking. How about games that take place indoors? Will "realistic" physics be benefitial to the actual game? Unknown. I'd think that missing with a single grenade and having the entire building crash down on you would be annoying and repetitive. Point is that no one knows how this will actually play out.
            Imagine NOT having a pre-rendered cut scene but scripting the way you play ala resident evil 4's interactive cut-scenes and Dark cloud's customizable worlds.
            Thats just a minor possibility and start.
            Okay, possibilities. Great. So you have NO IDEA then how this will play out in game situations. Just like I'm claiming. Problem with people like you is that you take an adversarial position based solely on the fact that you think you know more about this than I do. Honestly, you can feed yourself that all day as far as I'm concerned. You've made it VERY clear that gaming isn't what you're interested in. You're a Specs Gamer, no question about it.

Comment

Actually i understand what you're saying.You have SOME points,but regardless these features that are going to be implemented and you will see some awesome stuff.Im also willing to bet that that scenario and complete open-ending ness of gameplay will happen with 7-10 games this generation.Im willing to bet GTA4 will be one of them and a few others on PS3.Could you see the Revolution doing this though?

Comment

lol, can you say.....GAY?

Comment

seems like some pretty cool possibilities if implemented right
                  a wise man once said more please
                  Viva La Resistance
                  R.I.P Big Proof

http://www.myspace.com/shaneshaneandmoreshane

Comment

Actually i understand what you're saying.You have SOME points,but regardless these features that are going to be implemented and you will see some awesome stuff.Im also willing to bet that that scenario and complete open-ending ness of gameplay will happen with 7-10 games this generation.Im willing to bet GTA4 will be one of them and a few others on PS3.Could you see the Revolution doing this though?
                    Amazing. A guy like myself with no knowledge at all actually has valid points? Amazing!

Could I see the Revolution doing this? Honestly, it's meaningless to me. I prefer ultimate control to graphical touches.

GTA is an arrberation. It's one of the few series that takes the path it wants to without worrying about how consumers will react. Honestly, GTA's NAME alone sells millions regardless of what's in the box. But I don't see this in GTA 4. No chance. Maybe an expansion of the world, but the gameplay has almost went as far as possible. I love San Andreas, but it's nearly identical to GTA 3/Vice. Barricade jumping and bicycles were the only real additions to the gameplay. The rest were boring and ridiculous. Dancing? Low riding? Button mashing weight lifting? Rockstar isn't going to tamper with it's formula and possibly destroy it's cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
                      Amazing. A guy like myself with no knowledge at all actually has valid points? Amazing!
                      Could I see the Revolution doing this? Honestly, it's meaningless to me. I prefer ultimate control to graphical touches.
                      GTA is an arrberation. It's one of the few series that takes the path it wants to without worrying about how consumers will react. Honestly, GTA's NAME alone sells millions regardless of what's in the box. But I don't see this in GTA 4. No chance. Maybe an expansion of the world, but the gameplay has almost went as far as possible. I love San Andreas, but it's nearly identical to GTA 3/Vice. Barricade jumping and bicycles were the only real additions to the gameplay. The rest were boring and ridiculous. Dancing? Low riding? Button mashing weight lifting? Rockstar isn't going to tamper with it's formula and possibly destroy it's cash cow.
                      Gta can improve greatly still by improving it's already good features and i feel san andreas really gave you lots of things to do and a game that takes a long time to finish completely. There will be original games for all the systems and many will be avaliable for all systems. Playstation is sure to attract plenty of attention from deveopers because the amount of people that will buy the system so even if it is hard to develop for the is soo much money in the market for ps3 games
                      a wise man once said more please
                      Viva La Resistance
                      R.I.P Big Proof

http://www.myspace.com/shaneshaneandmoreshane

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by oneshotc0, Today, 10:04 AM
                      0 responses