HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 to be a cutting edge Blu-ray Player (And why it shouldnt cost that much)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 to be a cutting edge Blu-ray Player (And why it shouldnt cost that much)

Heres a tidbit that people seemed to skip over during all the buzz during the Business Meeting 06 by Ken Kutaragi.

Kutaragi also reiterated that that the PS3's internal media drive will not be a low-end BD player with limited functionality. "The PS3 will feature a BD Player that is up to the latest specifications," he said. "Although some people may think that the PS3 will be a poor man's BD player, it uses the Cell chip, RSX [graphics card], and High-Definition Multimedia Interface [HDMI]. We believe it will be the most cutting-edge player on the market."
    Now i already knew this but for some of you who dont know.yeah most people also forget the most of the parts that make bd players expensive are not needed by the ps3 since it has cell and rsx and next gen HDMI 1.3.I work in electronics and i know exactly what this means.It should be able to keep on top of the more expensive blu-ray players that are coming around 2007 for a great while as they will not have these specifications.

- PS3 Blu-ray playback details have been divulged: Cell will handle software decoding, RSX will handle image processing. It will offer 1080p/60 output with 12-bit (per component) color. Video and audio processing will be 32-bit floating point.

We knew it could do 1080p over HDMI. So it has the correct hookup options to be premium. It can produce the highest possible BD output in terms of resolution, and it can do it DIGITALLY. The digitally is the most important part here. People go nuts over high quality video components because for a long time they produced analog output and therefor the quality of the filtering / DAC circuitry in the device affects output quality.

It's got Cell + RSX. Heck it only needs Cell. Meaning it can handle any video codec at HD. Cell will eat decoding for lunch. It will also be able to apply any number of digital video filters you might want. The only thing necessary for the PS3 to be a high quality BD player is the software that plays the movies. This will be upgradeable. So if it sucks for any reason, they will fix it eventually.

I knew Sony had the money right when they made Cell a physics processor,graphics rendering,movie quality audio handling,and hte ability to decode Blu-ray/Dvd movies and it shouldnt cost that much as Cell+Rsx are already most of the main parts.

Check the other thread about PS3's movie/cinema audio capabilities.

Looking awesome.
    Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
    Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

thats kinda gay if u ask me

Comment

What else do you say besides gay? Ironically that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Apathy
        Heres a tidbit that people seemed to skip over during all the buzz during the Business Meeting 06 by Ken Kutaragi.
        "The PlayStation [3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine."

"PlayStation will openly adopt world standards that have a good reputation amongst technicians and we won't follow an independent path."

"The PS3 isn't designed to lean towards games"

You're right. Ken Kuturagi quotes are fucking hilarious.
        Now i already knew this but for some of you who dont know.yeah most people also forget the most of the parts that make bd players expensive are not needed by the ps3 since it has cell and rsx and next gen HDMI 1.3.I work in electronics and i know exactly what this means.It should be able to keep on top of the more expensive blu-ray players that are coming around 2007 for a great while as they will not have these specifications.
        GREAT NEWS! Hopefully this is as good a movie player as the PS2 was.
        - PS3 Blu-ray playback details have been divulged: Cell will handle software decoding, RSX will handle image processing. It will offer 1080p/60 output with 12-bit (per component) color. Video and audio processing will be 32-bit floating point.
        YES! Finally a gaming machine that has specs that are PERFECT for watching movies! I'm willing to spend $500 or more for this privilege!
        We knew it could do 1080p over HDMI. So it has the correct hookup options to be premium. It can produce the highest possible BD output in terms of resolution, and it can do it DIGITALLY. The digitally is the most important part here. People go nuts over high quality video components because.....
        They are apes that get distracted by shiny things?

They are tech whores who need to endlessly drone on about specifications no one really cares about?

Video quality is more important to them than quality gaming software?
        It's got Cell + RSX. Heck it only needs Cell. Meaning it can handle any video codec at HD. Cell will eat decoding for lunch. It will also be able to apply any number of digital video filters you might want. The only thing necessary for the PS3 to be a high quality BD player is the software that plays the movies. This will be upgradeable. So if it sucks for any reason, they will fix it eventually.
        Truly. Sony has a STELLAR reputation for NOT fucking their consumers over. I mean burning houses down, stealing technology and making the PS2 so shitty that people have to buy more than one to avoid D.R.E.'s makes for consumer trust. I BELIEVE what these guys say because they've been so honest and innocent for so long now.
        I knew Sony had the money right when they made Cell a physics processor,graphics rendering,movie quality audio handling,and hte ability to decode Blu-ray/Dvd movies and it shouldnt cost that much as Cell+Rsx are already most of the main parts.
        Check the other thread about PS3's movie/cinema audio capabilities.
        Looking awesome.
        You're damn right! The day I need to buy a $500 dollar movie player, I'll be picking up a PS3.

Comment

You're a serious fucking idiot.

1.You clearly do not know about electronics and these specifications even by your standards are extremely advanced.I have looked at whats coming up for 2007 and what i can see are 2-3 Blu-ray players that could potentially have better features.You have no idea.

2.It happens to be designed PERFECTLY to run movies.It is also designed for EVERYTHING,graphics,sound,physics,animation,gamepl ay etc. in mind and the rendering power is sufficient in this case for movies too,have you seen the other thread on by developers loving the power for games.

3.The difference is the cell+rsx combo is one of a kind.DO you know the performance of these two alone for gaming and mulit-media purposes?Probably not,but if you happen to look up the stuff,you still probably would'nt get it.This is not your league,your perceiving yourself to be the amatuer.Sorry but most developers are loving the power that PS3 gives them.

Originally posted by Ridge Racer developers
          The three developers didn't get too specific about what we can expect from RR7. Teramoto stated that thanks to the PS3's power, even with improved graphics, the system has juice to spare, which will be used for effects to help deliver a better feeling of speed and arcade-thrills. Teramoto let slip that the game will use Nitros, a system that was recently featured in the PSP and Xbox 360 games. Okubo addressed the game's sound component briefly by revealing that the game will support 5.1 sound.
          Who says video quality is more than important gaming software ?I think that hooking up my 7.1 surround sound hdmi 1.3 hdtv 1080p would be pretty nice,no? I've seen the people that have signed up to develop for PS3.You will see some staggering games,undoubtedly.
          Last edited by Apathy; 04-24-2006, 03:55 PM.

Comment

It doesn't really matter if the PS3 isn't strictly a gaming machine. People who dont have a DVD player can get it and watch movies and play games with it. There's nothing wrong with that. Plus with all the great games that came out on the PS2 I doubt it'll be any different.

Plus with MG4, FFXII and hopefully a FF7 remake, I dont see any other reason not to get it.
            This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
            Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
            Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
            And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
            - Fort Minor

Comment

^Exactly,what is the big deal.Revolution has DVD,360 is getting a HD-DVD.Damn haters

Comment

You're a serious fucking idiot.
                1.You clearly do not know about electronics and these specifications even by your standards are extremely advanced.I have looked at whats coming up for 2007 and what i can see are 2-3 Blu-ray players that could potentially have better features.You have no idea.
                You clearly don't know how to read a sentence. I said it WAS GREAT FOR PLAYING MOVIES. You're arguing against something that I agree with. Bravo.

But what does this have to do with gaming? Nothing at all? Mayhaps this post would be better suited for the Movies forum instead of the Video Games forum?
                2.It happens to be designed PERFECTLY to run movies.It is also designed for EVERYTHING,graphics,sound,physics,animation,gamepl ay etc. in mind and the rendering power is sufficient in this case for movies too,have you seen the other thread on by developers loving the power for games
                Hey, I'm not the one who's making this claim. That comes directly from Ken Kuturagi. You either believe his quote or you don't. Either way, I'm not answering for what HE said.

"The PlayStation [3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine." - Ken Kuturagi President Of Sony.
                3.The difference is the cell+rsx combo is one of a kind.DO you know the performance of these two alone for gaming and mulit-media purposes?Probably not,but if you happen to look up the stuff,you still probably would'nt get it.This is not your league,your making yourself to be the amatuer.Sorry but most developers are loving the power that PS3 gives them.
                Again, it's all well and good for you to feed yourself this bullshit. Hell, you probably even believe it. Since game making is a CREATIVE endeavor, I don't see how you can say that power is the main spark that gets a game going. Did you not enjoy playing Kid Icarus?

Point is that CONSUMERS are the people that actually drive the market, not developers. Developers can sing about the PS3 all day, but the BOTTOM LINE is what is going to make their decisions for them. And people are looking to play derivatives of what they've played before.

Amateur? No, you just have a serious superiority complex. I could look it up and still not understand? What makes you so certain that I don't know the specs? Did you ever consider the radical concept that THEY'RE FUCKING MEANINGLESS TO ME since I reside in the land of REALITY and not theory? WEEEEEE! Power! Now let's all play Bejeweled on Xbox Live Arcade! See what I'm getting at? It's quite simplistic.
                Who says video quality is more than important gaming software ?I think that hooking up my 7.1 surround sound hdmi 1.3 hdtv 1080p would be pretty nice,no?
                Sure, it's a nice bonus. But totally secondary to the actual reason I play a game. To play it.
                I've seen the people that have signed up to develop for PS3.You will see some staggering games,undoubtedly.
                You've "seen" the people? Literally or figuratively? And what does this have to do with anything?

Comment

^Exactly,what is the big deal.Revolution has DVD,360 is getting a HD-DVD.Damn haters
                  Wrongo. Revolution makes you actively go and buy a seperate piece in order to enable DVD playback. It's not a selling point right out of the box like it is with the PS3/Xbox. Try again.

And DVD is already a standard format. It's not pushing a brand new technology on consumers and forcing them to eat the costs.
                  Last edited by The Un-American; 04-24-2006, 04:14 PM.

Comment

most developers are loving the power that PS3 gives them.
                    And i also heard that most developers hate the development kits that Sony gives them, or the lack of dev-kits being distributed.

I'll admit that the Playstation 3 will be sporting major power and graphics. Bravo! No problems in that department. It's just the fact that this Blu Ray Disc media Vs. HD-DVD battle is completely not needed. DVD's have been on the shelves for less than 10 years and already people are ready to call it a day with this format? I know, it's immature of me to think of big time companies as places of business that DON'T try and squeeze every penny out of thier consumers by allowing the product to grow at a substantial rate. I've seen the HD-DVD up close in stores and while it looks great, my regular DVD's look 90% as good when played on my 360. So, am i or someone like me, gonna shell out new money for hardware and new discs of movies i've already got for 10% more? Uh...no.

The fact that Sony has included the Blu-Ray format into the PS3 is not making me anticipate buying it. It's making me wait to buy to see which format comes out on top. It'd be like buying a Beta-Max; how do you know it's gonna come out on top? No one does. Not even the people buying these devices do. They are just hoping that enough of the people buy the most of whichever one they are buying so that they aren't sitting around in a year with an obsolete paperweight. And Sony's track record with recent media is none to inspiring.

Mini-CD's? I think a handful of music compaines released maybe a handful of albums on this format back in 1998?
                    UMD certainly seems to be doing quite well also? Say, how many motion picture companies backed out in less than a year of production?

Bottom line: No one, in there right mind, should be purchasing this for the sole purpose of watching Blu Ray Movies. If you are going to buy it for Killzone 2, MGS4 or some other seres then that's one side. But to put that much money down on a technology that you can't guarantee will be around in a year is absurd.
                    Last edited by Tash226; 04-24-2006, 04:11 PM.

Comment

^ Yes, thank you. Sony is notorious for releasing arbitrary formats that fizzle out and leave the consumer holding the bag.

Comment

Yer im not saying that people should buy it for this feature nor encourage it.I just happen to like movies personally.Nearly as much as i like gaming.And im trying to give out this information to people to gain new knowledge.

btw about the lack of development kits:

Yer they have been given 50-75% power kits to do these demo's game on and the FINAL kits should be out really soon (May-June ish) But here anyways:

Sony mentioned that they have delivered 14,000 PlayStation 3 development kits to software producers worldwide.
                        The-magicbox.com

Comment

i don't really care about blue-ray or hd-dvd at all as there really isn't really anything wrong with the current dvd's it's a lot of change for probly really only a slightly better picture and i hope both formats fail overall so i don't have to really invest in new equipment for it. I'm still looking forward to the ps3 for the sequels for already established franchises that i love and the new games that are going to come to the market.
                          a wise man once said more please
                          Viva La Resistance
                          R.I.P Big Proof

http://www.myspace.com/shaneshaneandmoreshane

Comment

Sony is just hyping up the blu-ray. That's all they are doing. Regardless of what anyone thinks, Blu-ray will not be a standard by any means. Quote me on that. Realistically, it's a super-duper DVD.
                            change must come from within

Comment

blue ray and HD dvd both have the same fate as beta

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:14 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by WesleyDrake, Today, 09:11 AM
                              0 responses