Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 firmware 1.8: upscaling PS,PS2, and DVD's to 1080p

PS3 firmware heads to 1.80
    Latest update will upscale movies, along with PlayStation and PS2 games; adds Remote Play and other tweaks.

The PlayStation 3 will be getting another upgrade tomorrow, May 24, when firmware version 1.80 will be available for download. The latest update adds the ability to upscale PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, as well as DVD movies, to 1080p resolution (when viewed on a compatible HDTV set).

Version 1.80 of the firmware will also add the ability to use the Remote Play function, which allows owners of a PlayStation Portable to use the handheld to access their PS3 over the Internet.

Other additions include the ability to print photos stored on the console's hard drive or storage media to some models of Epson printers via a USB cable. Users on a home network should also get improved streaming of movies, music, and images to their PS3 from a PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171401...wstop;title;12
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yet another reason to buy a PS3 right now. The reasons keep on adding up, and with the release of titles from now until Q1 next year it will dominate the market.
    ------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
    I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

Nice.
    Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
    Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

Comment

it seems like everyones having problems after this update.

http://www.sonymusic.com/labels/loud.../dead_prez.jpg

don't update yet, wait till they find out whats wrong
      Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
      Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
      Originally posted by Syko Squidge
      ^
      fuck off you gay piece of cunt
      Originally posted by Otto
      That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by franc34 View Post
        it seems like everyones having problems after this update.
        http://www.sonymusic.com/labels/loud.../dead_prez.jpg
        don't update yet, wait till they find out whats wrong
        Mines working great, no problem with the update, I stream music/video off my PC to my PS3 (also access my PC from my PSP over remote Play) & upscaling is working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ethan20 View Post
          Yet another reason to buy a PS3 right now. The reasons keep on adding up, and with the release of titles from now until Q1 next year it will dominate the market.
          LOL, Anyway wrong section.

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator187 View Post
            Mines working great, no problem with the update, I stream music/video off my PC to my PS3 (also access my PC from my PSP over remote Play) & upscaling is working fine.
            how do you stream the music to your ps3?
            Originally posted by Tanner
            at least youre not hungover and have to sneak out a fat 30 yr old white bitch who you were banging in your parents house last night.

Comment

Originally posted by shindoa` View Post
              how do you stream the music to your ps3?
              1. Have PS3 & PC are on the same network
              2. Have Windows Media Player 11 on your PC (there are other programs that work, but this is what I use)
              3. Click on the "Library" tab in WMP11
              4. Select "Media Sharing"
              5. Click on the "Share My Media" Box
              6. Go into the settings menu in the next screen and select the type of media you want to share (Music/Videos/Pictures)

7. On the PS3 make sure you have "Media Sharing" enabled in the Network settings
              8. Under any of the media section on the XMB (Photo/Music/Video) select "Search for Media Servers"
              9. When scanning your PC will ask you if you want to "Allow" your PS3 to access it, select allow

Now just click on the server icon under the media you want (it will have the name of your computer and what you named the server), you can then stream it to the PS3 or you can press "Triangle" on the files and copy them to the PS3's HDD itself

**if your PS3 says your not allowed access to the server even after you select allow on your PC, try restarting your PS3.

EDIT: HERE!!! is another way to do it if you use NERO (supposedly Nero will let you play .avi files on your PS3 according to this guide, but I havn't tried it yet)
              Last edited by Instigator187; 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

^ big props for that

Comment

whats remote play.. i dont have a psp so what you do with it
                  at least youre not hungover and have to sneak out a fat 30 yr old white bitch who you were banging in your parents house last night.

Comment

Originally posted by shindoa` View Post
                    whats remote play.. i dont have a psp so what you do with it
                    Its allows you to access your PS3 from your PSP wirelessly, so you can stream music/movies/pictures thats are on your PS3 HDD to your PSP (you can now also access the "media servers" that your PS3 has access to over remote play)....and when the PSP is updated to 3.5 sometime this week you will beable to access your PS3 from anywhere in the world that has a wireless hot spot from your PSP.

Comment

thats tight sony>all

Comment

This update catapults the PS3 into the premier Blu-Ray and DVD player right now.
                        When the PlayStation 3 launched, the reviews could best be described as tepid, as the functionality and many promised features just weren't there. But we live in an age of online updates and changing firmware; with this week's 1.80 firmware update, the PlayStation 3 has become a very impressive piece of A/V goodness. The features are finally starting to catch up with the promise of the hardware, which is to say that the PS3 is now coming into its own.

720p Blu-ray and DVD upscaling

The biggest fix is that Blu-ray discs can now run in 720p. This is an overdue improvement and clears up one of the things that has held the system back from being the best Blu-ray player value out there. Now anyone with an HDTV need not worry about resolution compatibility issues.

For home theater enthusiasts, the new upscaling options make this update a truly beautiful thing. I put in Lord of the Rings and then Star Wars Episode III and was impressed in both cases. You can't make something out of nothing, even with upscaling, so don't expect dropped jaws and Blu-ray-like visuals. What you will get is a solid improvement in image quality over standard DVD—as good as I've seen on most standalone players.

The PlayStation 3 will now be my standard DVD player in the wake of this update, and while that shouldn't make you want to run out and buy one—a standalone upscaling player is pretty cheap these days—being able to reduce the hardware clutter in your home entertainment center is something to be happy about. Keep in mind that the upscaling feature is only available via HDMI, so those using component connections won't see a benefit.

The 1.80 update does have the effect of making the HDMI port less of a bullet point on the back of the box, instead turning it into something that adds new capabilities to the system. The new features for high-end televisions and future televisions are certainly impressive. From the change log:

[BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].
                        [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
                        [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
                        [Bit Mapping (Super Audio CD)] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].

PSone and PlayStation 2 upscaling

The PSone and PS2 game upscaling is a little more complicated. First, you have to keep the game set at 480i in order to take advantage of it; change the game's settings to progressive scan, and the system defaults the resolution to 480p. (Apparently the game software overrides the hardware.) Upping the resolution can also add a window effect with black bars on all sides of the pictures. There is an option to force full screen, but you may want to try the different stretch modes of your television as well to see what gives you the least distortion.

That's the downside to having all these options: you are going to want to experiment a bit to see what makes your favorite games look good. Turn on the smoothing option and some games look better; others suffer. There isn't a "one-size fits all" solution, and while that may annoy the casual gamer (who may never notice the subtle differences), it's going to make home theater fans happy as they tweak the image for each game.

After a morning of experimentation and reading up on the subject, I see many differing opinions online: everyone's display has different-quality scalers, handles resolutions differently, and just plain looks different. It's hard to provide a definitive guide for all the new PlayStation 3 functionality, simply because everyone is going to have a different experience using the features with their television. After I spent some time fiddling around, PSone and PS2 games looked great using the PS3's upscaling on my set.

Better upscaling and the appearance of Guitar Hero 2 on the Xbox 360 means that I can finally put my PS2 back in the box.

DNLA streaming
                        Sony's 1.80 firmware update also offers support for the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) streaming protocol. It's not complicated: I installed the free trial of TwonkyMedia to check it out, and my PS3 picked it up with no problems. Windows Media Player 11 should also work fine for content streaming. In minutes I was browsing my pictures and listening to my songs—all of which were stored on my PC—on my PS3. This is a powerful piece of functionality and will make the PlayStation 3's star rise in my household. I enjoy things that just work, and this couldn't get much simpler. There are apparently also ways of getting live transcoding to work through programs like Nero MediaHome, but without testing I can't vouch for the performance.

Sony wanted to make a high-quality Blu-ray player, media center, and game machine. The games still have a ways to go before the system becomes a must-buy, but with this update, the media capabilities of the system can't be denied; the 720p fix makes this an incredible bargain just as a Blu-ray player. This is a very impressive leap in such a short amount of time, and I can't wait to see what Sony has for us next.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...abilities.html
                        Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
                        Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator187 View Post
                          Its allows you to access your PS3 from your PSP wirelessly, so you can stream music/movies/pictures thats are on your PS3 HDD to your PSP (you can now also access the "media servers" that your PS3 has access to over remote play)....and when the PSP is updated to 3.5 sometime this week you will beable to access your PS3 from anywhere in the world that has a wireless hot spot from your PSP.

thats fucking disgusting.
                          New old song of mine Dedicated
                          Dedicated

Comment

How the games look?
                            HEADSHOTS; NIGGA FUCK YO VEST

www.***********.info

Comment

This update has caused a few problems with people like cutting them offline and there ps3 crashin at times, anyone here having those problems?

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Bynarden, Today, 10:57 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bynarden  
                              Started by jerrystom864, Today, 07:29 AM