Home Beta Still Launching This Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Beta Still Launching This Fall

PlayStation Home will launch into open beta at the same time in Europe as it does in the USA.

That's according to SCEE boss David Reeves, who told hacks at the company's Santa Monica gathering this week that it will arrive "with the same specs, same support and at the same time in autumn 2008".

According to Reeves, "The precise date will be announced by SCEI very shortly."

Home, which has been in development for approximately 2 billion years, is a virtual world where PS3 owners can come together and enjoy one another's company, launch games and behave in a web 2.0 fashion.

It's been delayed so often that it might as well be a train, and we'll have hands-on impressions of the latest build - and the current thoughts of its developers - on the site in very short order.
    Good news. It was starting to sound like Home wasnt going to come this year.

Home Common Areas Region Locked

We were given a pretty in-depth walkthrough of the current state of Home, including a couple of game spaces (images of those later), during which we asked the bloke as many questions as we could think of. Top of our list? Making sure that we would be able to meet up with our friends all across the planet in the various public spaces. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Home's public spaces are going to be region-specific.

If you want to meet up with your pals from abroad, then you'll be able to invite them into your apartment, but warping into the game space to bowl or play chess is not possible. This is allegedly to make sure that each region receives an "experience most suited to their tastes" as well as, no doubt, to keep advertisers happy. The last thing they want is Europeans seeing an advert directed at Americans.
    It makes sense, i mean was everyone really expecting to have a million odd people on the same server running around the same rooms? lol.. Besides, theres enough racism and shit online already, i know a few brits who wont even use their headsets because dumb ass americans clown on them because of it. You will still be able to invite friends into your apartment from other regions, so its not all bad.
    Last edited by AK; 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM.
    LastFM

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D cant wait for home

Comment

its gunna be region locked

Comment

Yeah^ i was going to post that article but forgot, anyone who hasnt seen it check the first post for more info.
        LastFM

Comment

Originally posted by AK View Post
          Good news. It was starting to sound like Home wasnt going to come this year.

Home Common Areas Region Locked

It makes sense, i mean was everyone really expecting to have a million odd people on the same server running around the same rooms? lol.. Besides, theres enough racism and shit online already, i know a few brits who wont even use their headsets because dumb ass americans clown on them because of it. You will still be able to invite friends into your apartment from other regions, so its not all bad.

The point of home is get together with friends play pool goto game rooms etc but if you have friends in us or uk w/e u can only go in youre private space its sounding more pointless by the day they need to put this to bed cus sony is killing it with every press release

Comment

Lol Sony cant just not release Home now, not after all this. It really doesnt make sense to have global servers. I mean, all around the world people are speaking different languages, you cant have Japanese advertisements running when if the majority of the users speak english and vice versa. I dont know why anyone would be surprised that the common areas and shit are region locked, i had assumed that from the get-go.
            LastFM

Comment

Originally posted by AK View Post
              Lol Sony cant just not release Home now, not after all this. It really doesnt make sense to have global servers. I mean, all around the world people are speaking different languages, you cant have Japanese advertisements running when if the majority of the users speak english and vice versa. I dont know why anyone would be surprised that the common areas and shit are region locked, i had assumed that from the get-go.
              Home started as a ps2 project they should put up or shut up many mmo have world servers ffxi have Jap french german on our servers u just select server and use auto translate ive got jap friends due to this

Comment

Ok but most MMOs dont have real time ads and trailers and videos running.. How would that work out? I dont see how they could show one person english ads and another japanese ads while they are both in the same server unless they used like subtitles or some shit, but even then the ads differ between north america, europe and asia quite a bit, they wouldnt be advertising the same products and the only way to make Home free is to have ads in it, Sony cant all of a sudden say they are going to charge for the service and they sure as hell cant just not release it now..
                LastFM

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by WalkerNathanael, Yesterday, 12:15 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post Allanmathew  
                Started by sophiasmith, Today, 04:31 AM