Out-of-body experiences 'probed'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-body experiences 'probed'

UK researchers are asking for your help to find out exactly what is behind out-of-body experiences (OBEs).
    Psychologists at Manchester University have set up an online survey that they hope about 3,000 people will fill out.

By comparing the responses of those who have and have not had an OBE they aim to discover the overarching cause.

One theory is that it is down to how people perceive their own body - those unhappy or less in touch with their body are more likely to have an OBE.

Floating sensation

About one in 10 people claim to have had an OBE at some time, typically involving a sensation of floating and seeing the physical body from outside.

For some, the phenomenon occurred spontaneously, while for others it was linked to dangerous circumstances, a near-death experience, a dream-like state or use of alcohol or drugs.

Despite this, relatively little is known about OBE.

Dr David Wilde and his team plan to find out more by studying the experiences of a large number of people.

He said there were several theories as to why people have OBEs.

Common thread

"There were early theories which looked at whether something actually physically left the body, like consciousness, but there's no real scientific evidence for that.

They all start from a feeling of a loss of input from the body

Researcher Dr David Wilde

"Other theories over the years have looked at whether OBE is a psychological defence mechanism in response to a perceived threat to the body in some way.

"Others have wondered whether it is a visual hallucination.

"But what has connected all the theories is the fact that they all start from a feeling of a loss of input from the body - a loss of conductive information coming from the legs, the arms, the trunk and so on.

"Our theory follows on from that."

His team believes that people experience their body in different ways and that this could explain why some people experience OBEs while others do not.

"We are finding that people with OBEs tend to experience their body differently to others.

"They tend to have increased social anxiety, to be uncomfortable about their body being scrutinised by others and dissatisfied with their bodies, and they tend to get immersed and absorbed in things very easily."

He said that by studying more people over the coming months he will be able to check whether his theory is correct.

The anonymous survey, funded by the Bial Foundation, can be accessed at www.freeresponse.org/muobe2005/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4177912.stm

I am NOT suggesting anyone do this

Not everything can be scientifically proved, they need to learn that.

Comment

One theory is that it is down to how people perceive their own body - those unhappy or less in touch with their body are more likely to have an OBE.

"They tend to have increased social anxiety, to be uncomfortable about their body being scrutinised by others and dissatisfied with their bodies, and they tend to get immersed and absorbed in things very easily."

lol utter bullshit... i recommend everyone to try it

Comment

Cant believe i read all of that and i dont know what to say.
        I'm the Mujahideen and I'm making a scene! now your gonna feel what the boom boom mean like tupac said when i die i aint dead we are the matyr's you are squashed tomatoes

Comment

^^ for a chick who died and came back in the name of good rep points you say alot
          Joop Gruis is my supplier

PS Fuck a middle man, I'm Columbian I am the connect

Why u coppin him bathin apes, cuz he the type to work in a zoo bathin apes

Comment

They should just go OBE themselves.

Comment

I had an OBE when I was 6 or 7. I was swimming in a lake and almost drowned. I was looking down from somewhere high in the air at my body floating face down in the water, and everything was quiet. Then my dad saw me and lifted me out of the water, and I immediately snapped out of it, and saw things through my own eyes. I didn’t even know what it was until a few years ago when I read stuff about OBEs.

~RIP Proof~
              They say the good die young...

http://www.one.org/Addmyvoice.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by DJRainbowSplash
                Not everything can be scientifically proved, they need to learn that.
                Maybe not at this time, but it was just a little over a hundred years ago that they discovered cells and microbes that cause illness; doctors had no idea that tiny little organisms caused infection. They just have not discovered a way to quantitatively measure the Paranormal. As a fairly sane individual, I have had many paranormal experiences and use scientific measurements when ghost hunting. And by the way, magic does happen.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."

John Lennon

Comment

I like how you put, "as a very sane person" into what you said. I honestly don't give a fuck what people think about me, I know what I've seen to be real and know what I've experienced to be real. If it makes me insane in their eyes, then whatever.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Dave Dirty, 02-02-2016, 02:29 AM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Amarett
                  by Amarett

Started by jenifershoofes, Today, 02:23 PM