HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those in college......is it really THAT much different than highschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those in college......is it really THAT much different than highschool?

tell me your stories...

do you like it better?

is the freedom nice?

is it more relaxed?
    LOST
    THEN I NEVER WANT TO DIE
    I... I WANT TO LIVE FOREVER

Originally posted by JMart
    tell me your stories...

do you like it better?

is the freedom nice?

is it more relaxed?
    I do like it better. In terms of the freedom - by the end of your first Christmas break, you'll probably be really looking forward to going back to school to be free again. It's really nice, and within a few years, you'll probably start thinking how boring it is around your parents house! It's much more relaxed. Imagine living with all people your age, all partying and stuff. And walking next door to play gamecube or whatever. The living situation is really fun and relaxed.

In terms of the classes, for the most part they're harder than the stuff you did in HS. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. You'll maybe have to spend a little more time studying, and eventually I think you'll get used to it and just understand it's something you have to do.

Here's what I think: the first time you move away it seems like the biggest deal ever. But then you realize that your hometown really isn't going anywhere. And your friends will be back over most of your breaks and during the summer. There'll be a few that don't come back after a year or two, but of course you're meeting all new ones. So even though when you move away it seems like everything's changing all at once, you have to step back and think about it. It's a big change, yeah, you're moving away and meeting all new people. But you don't just automatically lose your old friends. Especially these days with AIM. I'm in my fourth year at school and I still talk to my HS friends all the time. The change doesn't have to be as big as you're thinking it might be. Plus everyone in your dorm will be in the same position as you and meeting people will be easy. All in all, your friends don't disappear, you still talk to your parents, the only thing that changes is you're growing up more. After a year at school you'll feel older and more self-sufficient. And you'll like it. It's a good experience. Overall it's much much better than high school. After a while you'll look back and think how much worse HS was than college. It's really true. I was a little nervous myself when I left for college. But it's really not a bad experience one bit. The parties, the girls, the peeps next door to hang out with. It's all good, and it is MUCH different than high school. But in a good way.

Comment

agree with slambos, except i had moved out before i took any college courses, and i didn't live on campus.
      My other aliases:
      justp1ayin
      West
      Masai
      On The Shelf

Originally posted by Nasen
      i seeth for a minute
      Originally posted by Derty JaSoN
      i have no clue who was de-re whatever

Comment

word, I do like it much better than highschool. Now I'm living far away from my family. It's harder at the beginning but when I got used to it, it's really great since I can do whatever I want to do.

Comment

Just take out every thing wrong with High school and theres college!

I think the classes are so much easier too. Ya dont get much homework at all. just study.
          The sky darkens, my life flashes
          The plane I was supposed to be on crashes
          and falls to ashes

Comment

High School had it's own fun.....College is different. It's fun yeah, but it comes with added responsibility which sucks at time, but you gotta used to it at some point or the other. I'll get to the point since I gotta get going....College is a lot different than High School, it's a persons personal opinion if he thinks it's a good change or a bad change...I think it's cool

Comment

The only thing I got to say is that teachers in college are usually very cool, they don't consider you a children like in a high school. Oh ya, people are mature and shit. You get to meet a lot of new peeps :P
              E.A.W

Comment

dont take too much advantage of the freedom.........be smart about it........

Comment

University's so much different from high school. I moved away from home, so yes there is a lot more freedom in terms of not having parents around. From the academic side, you can choose to go to your classes or not. It doesn't matter...you paid thousands, they don't care if you show up or not. Sometimes, you'll choose not to go b/c the prof is terrible and you could learn it on your own, which is actually a valid option.

You'll also grow up faster than you realize if you move away. All of a sudden you've got to pay rent, cook, clean, grocery shop, on top of doing all your school work (after you leave residence, anyway). But overall university's such a blast. I'm in 2nd year right now and I'm having a great time.

edit: Residence was amazing. You should live in residence for first year, then on your own. You meet so much people, throw so many parties, and meet potential roommates. But after first year, you'll realize you can't continue this lifestyle or you'll flunk lol. At least that's the realization I came to with engineering haha.
                  Last edited by trex; 03-11-2005, 08:37 AM.
                  My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
                  How Do You Listen To Music?

Comment

enjoy college. some great times.
                    www.derf561designs.com

Comment

I love college. The freedom is great but the problem is transitioning back when you go home for vactaion and for the summer when school is out. Its not that much different than high school. You're basically on your own for everything. The whole concept of going to class, doing homework all that stuff is the same. I live on campus and I see y friends everyday, basically every second of the day. You have more downtime to yourself. As people have said, the professors dont see you as children and that they basically look at you as "equals." But you have to know your limitations when it comes to your freedom. Too much and it can get you into trouble. But overall college is a great place.
                      Life isn't worth living if you don't have something you'd die for.

Never attempt to change who you are to become someone you're not.

Comment

i aint got the time to go into detail bro but for me college is basically the same except that there is no where near as much class time to go through i got 3 hours of class a day and then boom im out shits easy as fuck...much better then highschool was..

Comment

You have a lot more responsibility to deal with... and yea the professors are different, b/c they don't kinda treat you like they do when you were in high school. It's up to you to study, but you'll have plenty of time to do all the fun things. I'm just finishin up on my first year and I've really liked it. But this quarter got the better of me, b/c I didn't show up for class a lot and I'm not doin so well. I don't stay on campus b/c I live about 5 mins away. It's a good experience and as long as you keep up with your work and make sure you can still have fun... do that and you'll have no problem with it.

Comment

do you like it better?

is the freedom nice?

is it more relaxed?

For the first part I do like it better it takes a small adjustment period say about 1 or 2 terms but you begin to do things that make you feel like you are finally on your own. You pay bills, cook dinner, and have to be on a set time schedule but there is more leway then you had in high school with the schedule. Missing a class is not the best thing to do but every once in a while it isn't a bad idea.

As far as the second part the freedom is nice since you can pretty much do whatever you want. There are of course drawbacks to that though. You know my story pretty well so you can see where i am coming from on that whole tip right there. You have the kind of knowledge though with your family history that I think you would do the right thing in a given situation,

As far as being more relaxed yes and no to that one. There are times where you have no cares in the world and are just at ease. However there are times when you get that whole pressure to complete term papers and the exam crunch that the stress gets to you so it can be more stressful than high school. As well as the fact that when you get to where I am at which is nearing graduation you begin to get scared at the possibility of not being able to work it. The main thing to do though is to stay positive no matter what the situation. If I sit around and worry about every little thing I am a mess and not worth anything. Hope this helps bro. Good topic!!
                            Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

High school was better in my opinion.

I read somewhere on collegehumor.com that the "losers" in college are the people who always tell stories about shit that happened in high school. Whoever wrote that was probably a loser in high school. I think the losers in college are the fuckin douchebags who dead seriously refer to thursday as "Thirsty Thursday", the people who make it a point to say they're drinking on a fuckin Tuesday afternoon in their dorm with three of their friends, the people who make an excuse to go out and play beruit when they have a test 3 hours later, etc. Your parents are paying for school, asshole. Don't dick around and waste THEIR money. To me, nights for going out and getting hammered are Thursday (not "Thirsty Thursday", seriously, how gay can you be?), Friday, and Saturday. Other than that, to me, it's pretty goddamn obscure to be getting shitfaced on a Monday night in the fucking dorms with a couple of your buddies. Sorry about that rant but I needed to say that. I know that didnt really apply to the questions at hand.
                              Boston, Massachusetts

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 08:25 AM