HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best thing to do in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best thing to do in this situation?

I signed an apartment lease at the end of September, and it ends in the end of July. So there are 2 more rent payments due (June 1 & July 1). I signed it with 2 other roommates so we split the rent 3 ways, let's just say it was $1,000/month, which would make it ~$333 each.

Here's the situation: 1 roommate lost his car, job, and moved back in with his parents without telling us so now we are left with paying for his share of the rent. I'd rather not pay it for these next 2 months because that means I have to pay $666 per month (because my other roommate can't really afford more than her $333).

I can afford the extra $333, but I'd rather not pay it because I have to pay college tuition by the end of August and I need the money. All 3 of us signed the lease, but is there anyway to get the rent lowered to $666 total (2/3 of $1,000), and have them send him a bill or something for his 1/3 of the rent he bailed on? Or are we stuck with paying $1,000 still, even though there's only 2 of us?

aka "Loyalty"

Ugh. That sucks. Are you renting from a leasing office or is it from a person? If it's like an apartment community type thing, there's no way they're gonna lower the rent. If it's a person, they may be more understanding, but I doubt it.

Your other roommate can't help at all with a little bit of the extra rent? That doesn't really seem fair that you'd have to pay 2/3 of the rent.

Comment

It's an apartment complex. But that sucks, that's kinda what I figured.

And no, she works at Pizza Hut for like minimum wage and can barely afford her 1/3 of the rent already.

I have already paid 2/3 rent for May, since the one roommate bailed in April, plus I have a partial mortgage payment for a condo that's $625 each month. So that's almost $1,300/month on housing costs alone for the next 2 months.. These kinds of financial situations shouldn't happened to kids, haha.

aka "Loyalty"

Comment

$1,300 plus utilities, food, etc?? Ouch. That sucks.

Maybe you can talk to the leasing office and tell them your situation. I don't know what they could do for you, but you never know. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Comment

Yep, and gas, cell, cable, & car insurance (no car payment though ). If I ever see that guy again I'm going to stab him.

Thanks for answering. I have to spread some reps before I can rep you though.

aka "Loyalty"

Comment

You're welcome. And yeah, I'd definitely be pissed at the dude. At least you only have to do that for 2 more months.

Comment

If he lived there for a month then collect a month's rent from him. Cheap motherfucker.

Or break his legs, whatever.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Comment

Originally posted by Shawtee View Post
                You're welcome. And yeah, I'd definitely be pissed at the dude. At least you only have to do that for 2 more months.
                True.
                Originally posted by Chris View Post
                If he lived there for a month then collect a month's rent from him. Cheap motherfucker.

Or break his legs, whatever.
                Well technically, I should collect all 3 remaining months' rent from him because he's on the lease until July which cannot be broken unless we pay to break it as a whole. And if it were that easy I would, but he also couldn't afford to keep his cellphone on so I can't contact him, and I don't know where his parents live.

I'm gonna be working a lot of useless hours the next few months. Owned.

aka "Loyalty"

Comment

owned

I'm in a sort of similar situation, I'm trying to get an apartment with 2 other dudes no homo and the apartment people are asking for proof of income and since all 3 of us are now full time students we cant provide that info, so they are making us get cosigners or pay for the lease upfront and this process is dragging on and on and school is starting real soon.

So I'm thinking about just paying for the 1 year lease myself ($11,600) upfront and have my roommates make monthly payments to me. But I don't really know these dudes, all I know is that we are going to the same school and in the same program. One of them is from Detroit and the other from New York and they're both black so I don't know if I should trust 2 ******* from the hood with paying me back my shit. And I don't want to live alone or have white roommates who play heavy metal or country music all the fucking time either.

Help
                  My other aliases:
                  The West is Back
                  Masai
                  justp1ayin
                  The Man

Comment

Damn, there's no way I'd pay a year's rent in advance, especially if you don't really know the people you're gonna be rooming with. They could stick you with the rent and there's not a damn thing you could do about it. When I first moved out of my parent's house I had a similar situation, but I just made my mom co-sign my lease.

Comment

You could ask someone else to move in aswell? Idk, im just trying to be helpful
                      Originally posted by JustP1ayin
                      If you aren't using a clancey beat, you aren't doing it right
                      SOUNDCLICK

Comment

Uhhhhm, i just signed a contract for my house for my 2nd year of uni.
                        If the guy signed all the correct things, hes obligated to pay for the full terms in the contract.
                        Whether hes living there or not.
                        Speak to the right people, explain the situation and they should sort it out.

Did you all sign separate contracts saying tou would pay 1/3 each?
                        Or was it 1 contract for the apartment and you pay the full amount for whos living there?

Comment

Originally posted by On The Shelf View Post
                          owned
                          I'm in a sort of similar situation, I'm trying to get an apartment with 2 other dudes no homo and the apartment people are asking for proof of income and since all 3 of us are now full time students we cant provide that info, so they are making us get cosigners or pay for the lease upfront and this process is dragging on and on and school is starting real soon.
                          So I'm thinking about just paying for the 1 year lease myself ($11,600) upfront and have my roommates make monthly payments to me. But I don't really know these dudes, all I know is that we are going to the same school and in the same program. One of them is from Detroit and the other from New York and they're both black so I don't know if I should trust 2 ******* from the hood with paying me back my shit. And I don't want to live alone or have white roommates who play heavy metal or country music all the fucking time either.
                          Help
                          Good luck with that. But definitely don't pay for 1 year upfront, you'll get screwed over.
                          Originally posted by Matt8 View Post
                          Uhhhhm, i just signed a contract for my house for my 2nd year of uni.
                          If the guy signed all the correct things, hes obligated to pay for the full terms in the contract.
                          Whether hes living there or not.
                          Speak to the right people, explain the situation and they should sort it out.

Did you all sign separate contracts saying tou would pay 1/3 each?
                          Or was it 1 contract for the apartment and you pay the full amount for whos living there?
                          We all signed just 1 contract to pay the full amount, so yeah I'm pretty much screwed.
                          Originally posted by CashMoneyRecord View Post
                          You could ask someone else to move in aswell? Idk, im just trying to be helpful
                          I would, but not many people are looking for a place to live for just a 2-month period.

aka "Loyalty"

Comment

Originally posted by On The Shelf View Post
                            owned
                            Help
                            DONT PAY THE MONEY UPFRONT!!! You'll regret that shit... especially if u dont know them that well. I've learned not to trust anybody with that kind of shit... and the thing is people are gonna walk over you if they see the opportunity.

I went on vacation to Ocean City md last year and i invited 2 of my friends to come with me. I payed the deposit *dumb dumb move* and told them to pay me before we went.

well the one guy never came. The other guy said he was gonna pay me but then he kept sayin shit like "man maybe i should just sleep onj the beach i aint got money for u" blah blah....

so ofcourse we got into a big argument and that was the end of our friendship. I invited this chick with me but it was a last minute thing and she wasn't good on money either but atleast she payed for food and shit like that.

im movin by august with my friend i known for about 12 yrs... he always comes throught for me so we good.

Comment

oh and loyalty id do what u can to get ur money from dude....

but sometimes in that situation there's nothin u can do but learn from your mistakes... atleast its only 2 months. You just gotta take the loss. Save money and resort to eating cherios and water for the next 2 months.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 09-18-2021, 02:05 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post noahharry  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 04-12-2020, 11:32 AM
                              7 responses