How Important Is Your Family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important Is Your Family?

I come from an extremely dysfunctional family. Currently, no contact with anyone except my brother, sister and their families.

For the longest time was uncomfortable with the thought of one day having children. Afraid of life somehow repeating itself. Took years of therapy to reverse the damage. I wasn't alone in these thoughts for my brother has no biological children. Thankfully, he's in a healthy relationship and has adopted her son. Turned out to be an outstanding husband and father.

Their family sticks together thru thick and thin. Always there for one another, no questions asked. No guilt trips, nor attempts to sabotage one another.

Grateful having them in my life.

We all have families helping to set the stage of our life. Good and bad. Some you're closer with, others you can't stand, and almost always theres a weirdo mixed in.

Not sure why I'm putting this out there. But started thinking of a psychology course I had taken.

Interested in your take on the subject.

Anyways, whatever you're comfortable sharing, please do.

So my questions are:

How is it with your family? Do you get along?

Your parents around? If so, still together?

Have a favorite relative?

Any events that stand out in particular? ie: fun, sad, happy, scary etc.

Last edited by Amarett; 07-05-2008, 10:46 AM.
    "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." - Poe

How is it with your family? Great now

Do you get along? everyone does since the last 3 years

Your parents around? yes If so, still together? yes

Have a favorite relative? 1 of my 4 older brothers, when i was poor, he got me high everyday atleast twice.. now thats brotherly love

drinkin at the beach, and on the boat with my bros is sweet,..

an a shitty moment... when my parents didnt tell me my bro almost died... twice
    I get so high you might see me laugh at something I seen on the turned off TV. I sprinkled kief into a Fonto leaf when I wake I chief before I brush my teeth, for real.

Comment

So my questions are:

ummm sometimes/most of the times NOW

My mom passed.My dad is dating a psychopath who he met in rehab...(where she still belongs in my humble opinion haha).

ummm my eldest sis I love my other sis too but she is a bit hard headed.

Dad trying to commit suicide cuz he was depressed/his drinking days. Good days- going to the beach...movie nights when my mom was still there. Playing games with my sis' when we were younger. I have some damn good memories and damn bad ones like most ppl.
      rb forever

Comment

^

oooh you kno what i remember playin when i was little, the board game Goose Bumps, based off the show... good memories... i swear as u grow up, all your doin is gettin sober, an when your finally 100% sober, you die
        I get so high you might see me laugh at something I seen on the turned off TV. I sprinkled kief into a Fonto leaf when I wake I chief before I brush my teeth, for real.

Comment

^GOOSE BUMPS!

I also loved shows like Are you Afraid of the Dark. I remember being so freakin scared haha. And building forts/playing street hockey!

Being a grown up sucks!
          rb forever

Comment

How is it with your family? Do you get along? My family is the definition of dysfunction..we do not get along.

Your parents around? If so, still together? They R still alive, not together.

Have a favorite relative? No. I dont like any of them.

Any events that stand out in particular? ie: nope..
            Originally posted by Dirty F
            99% of the time I'm as clueless as everyone else.

Comment

My biological parents are dead, as are my adoptive father and sister. One brother is serving a life sentence (25 years), and the last time I saw my other brother, he was in an orphanage, but he's older than me, so he's obviously out now (I usually forget he exists ... never seen him much). We were very dysfunctional, but my mother and I have always been close.

Nobody in my (extended) biological family gets along, but everybody in my adoptive family does. I only get along greatly with one aunt, two cousins and my mother. The rest consist of martyrs, junkies and the selfish. For some reason, I seem to be everybody's favorite, but that isn't mutual in anyway. My absolute favorite is my aunt. I've only known her for the past eight months or so, but we've gotten really close.

My adoptive father beat us and tried killing us. He got arrested when I was four and died when I was six. My childhood was like the end of The Shinning. I don't have many memories with members outside my immediate family.
              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

Comment

my family is perfect,my parents are still togeather and there was never any beatings or rape. Yet i'm still a fucked up individual.

Comment

Yes, very well

Yes, still married

I like a lot of my uncles, they're awesome

?
                  NEW YORK YANKEES

Originally posted by Swizz
                  sigged

Comment

Originally posted by Amarett
                    Yeah. Both of my parents work, as well as my sister and I. She's engaged, ready to be married next year. I work with my father and sister part-time while I work on other projects by myself. Family dinners, with my sister's fiance and my girlfriend are very common. I do everything with them and have always been closer with my family than friends.

Yup. Never seen them fight either. It's amazing when parents deal with their problems on their own and not in front of their children. Not many adults can handle that.

All my relatives have qualities of their own that I love. Of course, I think everything was better than I was younger. Everybody seems to be complaining these days; money, life, work, etc. I guess it's always been the same, I was just too young to understand years ago.

I've got an uncle whose in his early thirties so he's been like an older brother. Taught me about cars, sports and everything else when I lived with him. I've got an hilarious aunt who always makes jokes and keeps people smiling. A bunch of cousins so we all grew up like brothers and sisters.

Many memories and events that I've shared with my family stand out. We went through very difficult times when I was younger. Horrible times, actually. No matter what, my family worked past it and always held on. Not once did my parents ever argue about financial problems even though we were practically living on the street. A lot of memories brings tears to my eyes when I think about it and what my parents have sacrificed for my sister and I. Because of them, I know there's nothing you can't overcome in life. I think it's safe to say I had a great childhood and nothing can replace those memories.
                    cinematic adoration

Comment

My family is really close and we all get along great.

Yes and yes... still strong after 25 years together.

Not really... if I had to choose (besides my mom and dad), I'd pick one of my aunts, she's the coolest.

There's way too many to even list. So many awesome memories. 99% of them would be fun/happy. I can't really think of any scary or sad besides deaths in the family, but every family has to deal with those.
                      Boston Celtics
                      New England Patriots
                      Boston Red Sox

Hi haters.

Comment

When you mention family, I instantly think of my mother. She's the rock - the one we are all connected through. She's the one I go laugh with, cry to, yell at for no reason... I don't know what my family would be like without her. My father, on the other hand, is not what I'd call the greatest of role models. It takes alot to look past his imperfections. He measures worth through success and money, and that kills me. My dad and I are just very different. He's a generous, outgoing guy, who gave me a hell load of issues I know I'll carry throughout my life. But I love him nonetheless. I'm also close with my brother, in an annoying I-hope-you-shut-the-fuck-up kind of way.

My extended family have no connection with me. It's funny how money can come between relatives. My parent's families were never rich, they were middle class citizens. But my dad and mom studied really hard, got a decent job, and just got lucky enough to afford a better lifestyle than their brothers and sisters can. So there's always this division between us. It's in everything from the language we speak to our opinions on anything to what universities we go to. And then there's spite. My uncle and aunt genuinely do their best to try and look down on us to feel better about themselves since we're richer than them. It's despicable and I hate them.

Nice thread, Amarett, good job bringing life back to the General forum.

Comment

What are you doing, ama? Revamping all the old semi-successful threads? heh
                          -PeicyP

"Shit wherever I want, can't deal with constipation." -WIZ

Comment

im liking the real talk, well what im pretty sure is real talk

Comment

My family and I are good. I get along with my parents pretty good. Me and my dad can handle each other in small doses if we talk about sports and stuff but we used to not get along at all lol. My favorite relative is my Grandma...I grew up living with her most of the time and still visit her a lot. Never too old to be spoiled
                              GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
                              You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cbdgumiesreview, Yesterday, 07:57 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes