Is Joker Crazy Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Joker Crazy Or Not?

Great thing about Dark Knight is that it leaves you thinking about the characters. So what drives Joker? Obviously it isnt money so is he crazy or does he feel like mankind is so useless he wants to just destroy it?
    Reason im wondering is because this movie was written so that the characters leaves viewers thinking about those things.
    Reason im asking if Joker is crazy is because of the mob meeting scene where someone says "he's crazy" and Joker responds very seriously "im not...no im nott"

tell what you think about what motivates Joker, because im so darn interested...
    Que Sera Sera

more than likely wrong section, buttttt...

i dont think he was crazy -- or at least in the 'insane-sense'. i think he was very smart, and didn't have much to live for, so he just pushed his limits as far as he could take them. he came from a battered home, clearly had a rough upbringing, and then one day probably just decided to do whatever pissed people off the most. got a reaction from it, and continued onward to what we saw in the movie.

smart. did shit just to piss people off.
    ima do me.

Comment

Yeah I would say he was quite level-headed and smart in a sense because some of the things he planned and pulled were very well done and would take some brains to control.
      Ardoyne

Comment

Originally posted by Slyk View Post
        more than likely wrong section, buttttt...

i dont think he was crazy -- or at least in the 'insane-sense'. i think he was very smart, and didn't have much to live for, so he just pushed his limits as far as he could take them. he came from a battered home, clearly had a rough upbringing, and then one day probably just decided to do whatever pissed people off the most. got a reaction from it, and continued onward to what we saw in the movie.

smart. did shit just to piss people off.
        good view, pretty much what i had imagined but i still think theres more to it.
        like in the hospital scene he talks about scemers trying to control things so could he be standing up for something? i find it useless to create this character for just causing havoc, there must be something he believes in and there must be some reason why he does these things.
        Que Sera Sera

Comment

The Joker's primary goal is show the absurdity of trying to impose order onto chaos. He also acts as an indictment of man, unraveling the social order in order to reveal mankind's true nature. It's the Joker's thesis that our societal institutions are merely a comforting fascade which mankind holds onto so desperately and every action he takes is to proves this point. Without our "order," he believes people will show that they aren't good at heart and are only "as good as the world allows them to be."

While we don't know exactly what happened to him (since he tells conflicting stories), it's probably safe to say something traumatic did happen to him. Psychologically, this would make sense with his mindset in the film. Unable to find a reason for whatever happened to him, he would glean that the world is meaningless in order to reduce the severity of said event. In order words, the world is chaos and is without meaning, and our attempts to control it and apply meaning to it are in fact...a joke.

Now is he crazy? If wearing clown makeup, killing people and etc. is your criteria then...yes, he is crazy. However, his philosophy really isn't all that crazy and I think much of it strikes true. The Joker was probably reading a lot of Nietzche before he began his assault on Gotham.
          Last edited by Twan18; 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Good post Twan

Comment

No, he was perfectly normal. He has a wife and 3 kids and lived happily ever after. The end.
              change must come from within

Comment

roflll

Comment

Originally posted by Twan18 View Post
                  The Joker's primary goal is show the absurdity of trying to impose order onto chaos. He also acts as an indictment of man, unraveling the social order in order to reveal mankind's true nature. It's the Joker's thesis that our societal institutions are merely a comforting fascade which mankind holds onto so desperately and every action he takes is to proves this point. Without our "order," he believes people will show that they aren't good at heart and are only "as good as the world allows them to be."

While we don't know exactly what happened to him (since he tells conflicting stories), it's probably safe to say something traumatic did happen to him. Psychologically, this would make sense with his mindset in the film. Unable to find a reason for whatever happened to him, he would glean that the world is meaningless in order to reduce the severity of said event. In order words, the world is chaos and is without meaning, and our attempts to control it and apply meaning to it are in fact...a joke.

Now is he crazy? If wearing clown makeup, killing people and etc. is your criteria then...yes, he is crazy. However, his philosophy really isn't all that crazy and I think much of it strikes true. The Joker was probably reading a lot of Nietzche before he began his assault on Gotham.
                  wow...i salute you sir...
                  Que Sera Sera

Comment

past experiences in his childhood...abuse...at an early age...
                    http://www.boxstr.com/3135
                    best file hosting ull ever need...mp3 hotlinking....

Comment

Originally posted by Twan18 View Post

scholar.

stellar.
                      ima do me.

Comment

lol, Twan schooling nˇggas.
                        =W=
                        My other aliases:
                        On The Shelf
                        Masai
                        justp1ayin
                        TheMan

Comment

the batman drives joker, he even said it himself "you complete me". the joker knows how to get under batmans skin so easily that he just thrives off of the fact he can fuck with the head of the best crime fighter ever

Comment

Originally posted by Bonez00 View Post
                            the batman drives joker, he even said it himself "you complete me". the joker knows how to get under batmans skin so easily that he just thrives off of the fact he can fuck with the head of the best crime fighter ever

ENGH! WRONG!
                            =W=
                            My other aliases:
                            On The Shelf
                            Masai
                            justp1ayin
                            TheMan

Comment

Originally posted by TheWestIsBack View Post
                              ENGH! WRONG!
                              nah im right

Comment