HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

greatest musical artist of all time?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • greatest musical artist of all time?

    who do you think was the greatest musical artist of all time? you can go by any standard except popularity, including songwriting ability, talent, emotion, ect.

    the favorite has to be dylan(who was unquestionably the greatest song writer of all time), but i think marley and springsteen are two of the other top choices.

  • #2
    Radiohead
    Wu-tang Clan
    KRS-One

    Comment


    • #3
      the GOAT musician gotta be Elvis Presly, or Michael Jackson

      this does not mean im a fan of those artists
      Vexx, bitch.

      Comment


      • #4
        Michael Jackson is my all time favorite.
        Peep out my new track - "Whaleface (Reintroduction)"

        L O S T

        Comment


        • #5
          Let's be real here: Eric Clapton, Nirvana, Incubus, Micheal Jackson, Elvis, Dr. Dre, DJ Premier.... Musical geniuses no doubt... HOLLA
          Snoop Dogg "Nuthin but a G thang"- "You never know she could be earnin' her man, and learnin' her man/ and at the same time burning her man/ now you know i aint' with that shit Lieutenant/ ain't no pussy good enough to get burnt while I'm up in it"

          Common "sum shit I wrote": "My style is steep, I rip rhymes on the incline/ splat guts, bust fat nuts, and lay up like a crypt line."

          Eminem- "just to get to see an MC who breathes so freely/
          Ease over these beats and be so breezy/ Jesus how can shit be so easy?/ How can one Chandra be so Levy?"

          Originally posted by yummyangel
          topdogg--dude youre hott
          Topdoggkyle Fan Club:
          President: hawtlilchick27
          Vice Pres.: shadyvsbizkit
          #1 fan: Sierra69
          #2 fan: x-press
          Official Groupie: Thug Biatch

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chrizz
            Radiohead
            Wu-tang Clan
            KRS-One
            You can't be serious.

            Wu-Tang Clan as the greatest MUSICAL ARTIST of all time?

            THERE IS MORE TO MUSIC THAN RAP. The only rap artist belonging on the list of the greatest music artists of all time is 2Pac. THATS IT.


            Led Zeppelin
            Pink Floyd
            Elvis Presley
            Michael Jackson
            Guns N Roses
            The Beatles
            The Beegees
            Metallica
            Aerosmith
            Eric Clapton
            Stevie Wonder
            Jimi Hendrix
            Lenny Kravitz
            Madonna


            Just to name a few.

            I hate it when people have musical ignorance. ALL MUSIC IS GOOD. If you dont like music it means you cant understand it.
            Clean Since: 12.10.08

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: greatest musical artist of all time?

              Originally posted by Da 6'2
              the favorite has to be dylan(who was unquestionably the greatest song writer of all time), but i think marley and springsteen are two of the other top choices.
              Dylan definetly goes up there, as well as Springsteen (although his new attempts at music are terrible). Marley I don't agree with however he made good music but aside from being the most popular reggae artist of all time, there wasnt any depth in his songs. They're good to lay back and listen to on any given day during the summer, but that's about it. Not saying he wasn't good, but I would be hesitant to place him with the best.
              Clean Since: 12.10.08

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Silmaril
                You can't be serious.

                Wu-Tang Clan as the greatest MUSICAL ARTIST of all time?

                THERE IS MORE TO MUSIC THAN RAP. The only rap artist belonging on the list of the greatest music artists of all time is 2Pac. THATS IT.



                Now, first up, radiohead are not rap, radiohead are rock, and the best rock band to ever walk this planet.

                Are you claiming that people can not have their own opinion? Wu-tang clan DO deserve to be on it, because it's my fucking list. No album touched me more than 36 chambers, and the gritty-yet-fantastic music continued through successful solo albums, "forever" and "the w". Every true music critic regocnises wu-tangs talent:
                "taught yall ni**as how to rap, reimburse me" chastises ghostface killah on the wu-tang clan's third group effort, he has a right to be cocky" - Kris Ex of Rolling Stone
                "The members of wu-tang are street corner scientists, experimenting, theorizing, pushing the limits of whats possible" - Chris Farley of Time
                Theres only 2, for critics of The W even one of their 'worst' albums.

                As for KRS-One, he deserves to be on it more than anyone. Always sticking up for true hip-hop in times when hip hop was in desperation. Been in the game for just about as long as anyone has from his early days of BDP, to his most recent days, and he still produces quality albums. You give me the name of the most over-rated rap artists ever, 2pac? Don't make me laugh. 2pac had 2 aspects: "yo ima gangsta", or "yo im deprived" - he develops these but all songs come to it, ie. "Dear Mama" slowly goes from "i love you mum - to we were very deprived".

                The list you named are over-rated pop-stars. They are only very well acclaimed because the critics at the time were generally rock/pop critics. Now we have a more uptodate society we have critics that accept hip-hop as far more than "a gangsta peice of shit".

                I know there is more music to rap, I listen to it, but nothing touches rap. Radiohead are the only ones on the same level as wu-tang and krs-one, i can only see about 3 people on your list that would qualify as just over 'good'. I can't believe you're ignorance to fucking question my selection.

                Comment


                • #9
                  *Sigh*

                  I didnt say Radiohead was rap.

                  I listed musicians that made great music. You pull the double standard by yelling at me for criticizing you, and then you turn around and criticize my choices. Hypocritical a bit.

                  I picked musicians that have influenced all music since they made music.
                  Led Zeppelin - All current rock music
                  Pink Floyd - All music in general
                  Elvis Presley - Got white people into music lmao
                  Michael Jackson - Need I say any more?
                  Guns N Roses - All current rock music
                  The Beatles - All Pop music
                  The Beegees - All Pop music
                  Metallica - All rock music
                  Aerosmith - All rock music
                  Eric Clapton - All Music in general
                  Stevie Wonder - All Music in general
                  Jimi Hendrix - Guitar players everywhere
                  Lenny Kravitz - See above
                  Madonna - All Pop music

                  It would hard pressed for someone to say they were not influenced by an artist on that list. Whereas Wu-Tang Clan and KRS-One influence a smaller audience. It doesn't make their music bad, but I think great music should be judged by how it affects people. Thats great if Wu-Tang Clan can influence you like that. But how many other people will feel that way about them? A truly great artist will make enough great music that almost everyone, or everyone can relate or love at least one of their songs. That is great music. Effecting people and living on after you die. 2Pac is still influencing rap. He was as far as im concerned the most artistical rap musician of all time, perhaps with the exception of OutKast. This is IMO. I'd be glad to see the error of my ways, yet there is too much music and too little time to listen to it all. To be perfectly honest I have heard almost none, if any, of Radiohead. I know they aren't rap and never claimed them to be. I questioned the choices about Wu-Tang Clan and KRS-One. And personally, I think music does "touch" rap. I think rap has amazing potential for greatness, but it is nowhere near that level. 90% of rap is shit. The top 10% is okay, and maybe 5% or less is good. The trouble rap has with being great music is the integral part of the street credibility. You have to have amazing lyrical talent. So, if you make a meaningful track like 2Pac did many times people question whether your a good rapper or not.

                  3 People on my list over good?
                  I can't believe you're ignorance to fucking question my selection.
                  Cant play both sides. You just contradicted yourself again.

                  Pink Floyd
                  Lenny Kravitz
                  Jimi Hendrix
                  Led Zeppelin

                  Thats 4 amazing music arists right there. As far as Im concerned there will be no better musicians than Pink Floyd. Not now not ever. I could be wrong, and eat those words later, but I highly doubt this fact.
                  Last edited by -Sil-; 04-26-2003, 02:38 PM.
                  Clean Since: 12.10.08

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Silmaril
                    I didnt say Radiohead was rap.

                    I listed musicians that made great music. You pull the double standard by yelling at me for criticizing you, and then you turn around and criticize my choices. Hypocritical a bit.

                    I picked musicians that have influenced all music since they made music.
                    Led Zeppelin - All current rock music
                    Pink Floyd - All music in general
                    Elvis Presley - Got white people into music lmao
                    Michael Jackson - Need I say any more?
                    Guns N Roses - All current rock music
                    The Beatles - All Pop music
                    The Beegees - All Pop music
                    Metallica - All rock music
                    Aerosmith - All rock music
                    Eric Clapton - All Music in general
                    Stevie Wonder - All Music in general
                    Jimi Hendrix - Guitar players everywhere
                    Lenny Kravitz - See above
                    Madonna - All Pop music

                    It would hard pressed for someone to say they were not influenced by an artist on that list. Whereas Wu-Tang Clan and KRS-One influence a smaller audience. It doesn't make their music bad, but I think great music should be judged by how it affects people. Thats great if Wu-Tang Clan can influence you like that. But how many other people will feel that way about them? A truly great artist will make enough great music that almost everyone, or everyone can relate or love at least one of their songs. That is great music. Effecting people and living on after you die. 2Pac is still influencing rap. He was as far as im concerned the most artistical rap musician of all time, perhaps with the exception of OutKast. This is IMO. I'd be glad to see the error of my ways, yet there is too much music and too little time to listen to it all. To be perfectly honest I have heard almost none, if any, of Radiohead. I know they aren't rap and never claimed them to be. I questioned the choices about Wu-Tang Clan and KRS-One. And personally, I think music does "touch" rap. I think rap has amazing potential for greatness, but it is nowhere near that level. 90% of rap is shit. The top 10% is okay, and maybe 5% or less is good. The trouble rap has with being great music is the integral part of the street credibility. You have to have amazing lyrical talent. So, if you make a meaningful track like 2Pac did many times people question whether your a good rapper or not.

                    3 People on my list over good?

                    Cant play both sides. You just contradicted yourself again.

                    Pink Floyd
                    Lenny Kravitz
                    Jimi Hendrix
                    Led Zeppelin

                    Thats 4 amazing music arists right there. As far as Im concerned there will be no better musicians than Pink Floyd. Not now not ever. I could be wrong, and eat those words later, but I highly doubt this fact.
                    You said "THERE IS MORE TO MUSIC THAN RAP." implying that all my music was rap.

                    I also listed musicians that make great music, and whats most important to me is lyrics in music.

                    Now i dont like to jump on bandwagons, i wont name "classic artists" if i dont like them, when someone posts a thread called "greatest music artist of all time" - everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it's elvis pressley, or too $hort. People mocking their opinion shouldn't be recognized, i only gave yours a bit of stick, because you did mine, and i don't think there are many great musicians on your list, influential musicians, yes, but not great. if the thread was called "most influential musicians" then there would be less opinions, and more facts, but greatest of all time, is all opinion.

                    Now, the people on your list have influenced more people because of airplay and their mainstream success, now i'm sure it's different im USA, but in Scotland next to nobody has heard KRS-One, or good wu-tang (i put good in italics because lots of people have heard gravel pit, pinky ring, etc.). UK is very much a rock-country, more people are brought up liking rock, so dont pay attention to good rap, and aren't influenced by them because they aren't played on the radio or whatever.

                    OutKast - yes. I love them, but i still struggle to see 2pac as a true great rap artist. He has never influenced me, it's my opinion, i know, but i still think he is the most over-rated artist of all time.

                    The people on your list that i would count as good:
                    Jimi Hendrix - guitar legend
                    Pink Floyd - quality
                    The Beatles - also some tracks were quality.

                    Fact is, we're both entitled to our own opinion, i just dont think anyone had the right to criticise others. You done it, and i dont it back immaturely (and yes we could go further saying its our opinion that theyre shit, blah blah) but would it have been so hard for you to drop your artists and leave without trying to criticise choices, or decrease someones love for their favourite artists?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chrizz
                      You said "THERE IS MORE TO MUSIC THAN RAP." implying that all my music was rap.

                      I also listed musicians that make great music, and whats most important to me is lyrics in music.

                      Now i dont like to jump on bandwagons, i wont name "classic artists" if i dont like them, when someone posts a thread called "greatest music artist of all time" - everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it's elvis pressley, or too $hort. People mocking their opinion shouldn't be recognized, i only gave yours a bit of stick, because you did mine, and i don't think there are many great musicians on your list, influential musicians, yes, but not great. if the thread was called "most influential musicians" then there would be less opinions, and more facts, but greatest of all time, is all opinion.

                      Now, the people on your list have influenced more people because of airplay and their mainstream success, now i'm sure it's different im USA, but in Scotland next to nobody has heard KRS-One, or good wu-tang (i put good in italics because lots of people have heard gravel pit, pinky ring, etc.). UK is very much a rock-country, more people are brought up liking rock, so dont pay attention to good rap, and aren't influenced by them because they aren't played on the radio or whatever.

                      OutKast - yes. I love them, but i still struggle to see 2pac as a true great rap artist. He has never influenced me, it's my opinion, i know, but i still think he is the most over-rated artist of all time.

                      The people on your list that i would count as good:
                      Jimi Hendrix - guitar legend
                      Pink Floyd - quality
                      The Beatles - also some tracks were quality.

                      Fact is, we're both entitled to our own opinion, i just dont think anyone had the right to criticise others. You done it, and i dont it back immaturely (and yes we could go further saying its our opinion that theyre shit, blah blah) but would it have been so hard for you to drop your artists and leave without trying to criticise choices, or decrease someones love for their favourite artists?
                      Well the implying meaning wasnt meant by that comment. It just seemed to me that you were the typical "rap is the only type of music all other music sucks" type of person. I assumed this, as most assumptions are made on this board because intelligence on this board is at an all time low.

                      I agree with airtime being a factor in the music. But people get airtime for good reasons most of the time. I say most because we all know that that same factor goes to "Hot In Herre" being played every 5 seconds.

                      I do think 2Pac is overrated, but I think he was and is good without all that hype. Fact is, hip-hop needed a legend. All music's have an icon. 2Pac became the rap icon out of neccesity and demand for an icon. He made the "screw the world, I hate life, im being opressed" stand in rap. Alot of people feel this way, especially blacks. When a large portion of blacks listen to rap music, and most of those blacks are thinking the same way, you get popular. We know that reputations swell and grow. I believe it is that same for Eminem (not the legend shit but) he makes good music, but some people make him into something close to a god, which isnt right and ruins it. Whether this is good or bad is opinion.

                      The conflict we're having is that I relate influence to greatness, and you dont. That simple. At least this trip to the boards had meaning, and wasn't all staring at E-Beefs, Groupies, and Haters.
                      Clean Since: 12.10.08

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Shut the hell up and let people have opinions, jesus christ.
                        This board deserves a better class of poster...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Silmaril

                          The conflict we're having is that I relate influence to greatness, and you dont. That simple. At least this trip to the boards had meaning, and wasn't all staring at E-Beefs, Groupies, and Haters.
                          Yeah, fair enough. At least this argument was more interesting than the usual 'who finds eminem sexier' arguments at this board!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Marley I don't agree with however he made good music but aside from being the most popular reggae artist of all time, there wasnt any depth in his songs. They're good to lay back and listen to on any given day during the summer, but that's about it. Not saying he wasn't good, but I would be hesitant to place him with the best.
                            i think marley was a good songwriter who had the strongest beliefs in his music of anyone i have ever heard. he was willing to die for his music and beliefs, and he nearly did. marley's music was as successful to bringing peace to his homeland then any politician ever could have.

                            marley's words were so strong and so powerful that his government tried to assasinate him.
                            Last edited by Da 6'2; 04-26-2003, 03:20 PM.

                            Comment

                            Post ad widget 300x250

                            Collapse

                            LATEST POSTS

                            Collapse

                            Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by maliasydney, Today, 12:00 AM
                            0 responses
                            2 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post maliasydney  
                            Started by seonpotter, Yesterday, 03:39 AM
                            0 responses
                            3 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seonpotter  
                            Started by AndreaDorrau, Yesterday, 02:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            2 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post AndreaDorrau  
                            Started by cannaleafzcbdca, Yesterday, 02:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            3 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post cannaleafzcbdca  
                            Started by cannaleafzcbdca, Yesterday, 02:11 AM
                            0 responses
                            3 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post cannaleafzcbdca  
                            Started by Ansts1982, 09-24-2021, 11:59 PM
                            0 responses
                            5 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Ansts1982  
                            Started by tdfgojdvbttg, 09-24-2021, 11:20 PM
                            0 responses
                            2 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post tdfgojdvbttg  
                            Started by Deborahlanker, 09-18-2021, 12:16 PM
                            1 response
                            7 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post AdamMiller  
                            Started by Deborahlanker, 09-18-2021, 02:05 PM
                            1 response
                            16 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post noahharry  
                            Started by Deborahlanker, 04-12-2020, 11:32 AM
                            7 responses
                            320 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post DorothyDBoland  
                            Working...
                            X