Earliest memories of the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aw no more?
    "All Star weekend I saw Warren G with no Nate Dogg. That's like MJG with no 8 Ball."

Comment

ims would start with a/s/l and even though i was 11 i knew if i said 18/m and stuck at it hawt pics would come. but then one day my friend made a fake girly screen name and he was like at school hahaha you say your 18/m and all the kids would laugh and i felt embarassed. but now that i think about it, i was learning the pimp ways even back in that day

also the game jedi knight, that was THE multiplayer fps before half life. i had fond memories playing that pixelated shit. counter-strike beta 6.5, starcraft, unreal tournament 1, diablo 2 all pimping games that i spent hours.

having rep or com, lower cased, or four letter aol screen names name was some amazing hacker shit or something. using color faders in chat, animating aol profiles, knowing this secret color code shit in aol profiles, old 4ch, mirc, discovering video game roms for first time and feeling dumb for having a shitload of snes and genesis cartridges.
      Last edited by se7en; 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Damn, crazy memories in this thread. Did anyone else see the potential in the internet way back? I'm talking the 90's here. I remember thinking "why is it seemingly only nerds using this?" Now, you're a nerd if you're NOT on the internet.

One of the things I can remember is using the classic Napster. I remember me and my friend trying to think of songs that Napster wouldn't be able to find. I didn't understand the concept of sharing music back then and couldn't believe that it would find anything I searched for. I also remember being part of the Red Alert 2 community and trying to learn basic HTML

4 8 15 16 23 42

Comment

Also remember my dial-up connection. My connection these days tops out at about 4mb a second, back then it was 4kb

4 8 15 16 23 42

Comment

i dunno i remember icq tho lol
            Vexx, bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vexx View Post
              i dunno i remember icq tho lol
              I remember only ICQ too

Comment

Guys, I like your stories. I remember when I was 12 I was a great fan of Justin Bieber and I wanted to have all his pictures on my wall. My family did not have much money and I was downloading the pictures from the Internet on my desktop. Fortunately, I am not his fan anymore but I remembered that story when I order a new home printer on mrdepot last week. I wish I had it when I was a kid.

Comment

Late 98/99 was when I first had access to the internet. Only really remember AskJeeves and ICQ chat rooms. I also remember Star Wars or maybe even just The Phantom Menace having the best looking and futuristic website.

I was a poster on Gamewinners.com from 2000 to around 2002, and is where I first used AIM and talked to Americans.

I distinctly remember having the idea of registering domains of famous sports teams, companies, etc, because those things had zero internet presence. I probably stole the idea or whatever, but the point is back then so many famous and important entities had no internet presence. It was a totally different world.

Moreover, people being anonymous and one having to build each individual’s profile whom you communicated with, as opposed to everyone having social media dominated with their pictures and ‘real life’, was something really profound and its a real shame that doesn’t exist anymore.

Smartphones c. 2010 enabled normies access to the internet and led to mega corporations subsequently taking control of it. Such a sad state of affairs.

Most faggots won’t ever understand or appreciate the historical internet and its ability for largely anonymous people to build sincere friendships. They’ll probably think you’re weird or something, after all to them the internet is something where they share pictures of their ugly children and post incessant stats one only used to overhear at a bus or train station.
                  Last edited by | K Y L E |; 11-23-2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

forgetting Esco used my pic as avatar
                    "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." - Poe

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by basketballeven, Yesterday, 07:49 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post pianofighting  
                    Started by ElizabethLacros, Yesterday, 02:16 AM
                    0 responses