Top David Bowie Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top David Bowie Songs

David Bowie packed seven or eight careers into his one. That’s one of those cliches that’s actually true: His catalog is full of album-length statements that wrestled pop’s future into revelatory new shapes again and again. But Bowie was also one of rock & roll’s all-time great singles artists — an AM-radio Picasso who could pack more joy and loss and wonder into three minutes than most other artists could dream of in a lifetime.

His genius comes into the sharpest focus when you listen to a playlist of his best songs spanning those four decades, which is what we’ve assembled here: a rough guide to Bowie, from 1969’s “Space Oddity” up through last week’s “Lazarus.” It’s a head trip, and it’s only the beginning.

David Bowie spent most of the Sixties trying desperately to become a famous musician. He knocked around in groups like the Manish Boys and Davie Jones with the King Bees and released solo singles like “The Laughing Gnome,” but nothing seemed to work. Finally, he teamed up with Elton John producer Gus Dudgeon to create “Space Oddity,” a song he’d been fiddling with all year. The folk ballad about astronaut Major Tom getting stranded in space was rushed out by his label to coincide with the launch of the Apollo 11 moon landing, and the BBC played the song during the coverage of the event. “In England, it was always presumed that it was written about the space landing, because it kind of came to prominence around the same time. But it actually wasn’t,” he told Performing Songwriter. “It was written because of going to see the film 2001, which I found amazing. I was out of my gourd anyway, I was very stoned when I went to see it, several times, and it was really a revelation to me. It got the song flowing. It was picked up by the British television and used as the background music for the landing itself. I’m sure they really weren’t listening to the lyric at all. … Of course, I was overjoyed that they did.”

Comment

Bowie’s 1970 album The Man Who Sold the World was his first with his classic band, the Spiders from Mars, who helped steer his sound from folk-tinged to forward-thinking rock & roll. This Lovecraft-ian science fiction song — with a title inspired by Robert A. Heinlein’s novella The Man Who Sold the Moon — is evidently about an encounter with a doppelgänger — perhaps Bowie’s past self. “That song for me always exemplified kind of how you feel when you’re young, when you know that there’s a piece of yourself that you haven’t really put together yet,” Bowie said in 1997. “You have this great searching, this great need to find out who you really are.” The song was widely covered, most famously by Nirvana. Kurt Cobain named The Man Who Sold the World one of his top 50 favorite albums, a fact that thrilled Bowie.

Comment

David Bowie was seemingly in danger of being a one-hit wonder by 1971. “Space Oddity” was two long years in the past, and music had changed dramatically. Bowie remained cocky, though, and on the lead single from Hunky Dory, he even unloaded a warning on his rivals. “Look out you rock & rollers,” he sang. “Pretty soon you’re gonna get a little older.” They were brash words for somebody without much of a following, but they proved prophetic. Bowie said “Changes” started out as somewhat of a “parody of a nightclub song,” but ended up a st-st-st-stuttering rock anthem with keyboards by Yes’ Rick Wakeman and Bowie himself on saxophone.

Comment

“This is a sensitive young girl’s reaction to … The Media,” Bowie explained on a piece of hotel stationary about this story of a lonely girl with “mousy hair” and mean parents who goes to the movies to escape from her problems. The story is almost completely irrelevant, though: Backed by the Spiders From Mars, a string section and pianist Rick Wakeman, the song features some of the best vocals of Bowie’s career. It’s almost a mini opera inside of a four-minute single, building to a stirring climax. “This song was so easy. Being young was easy,” Bowie told Mail on Sunday in 2008. “I took a walk to Beckenham High Street to catch a bus to Lewisham to buy shoes and shirts but couldn’t get the riff out of my head. Jumped off two stops into the ride and more or less loped back to the house up on Southend Road.”

Comment

David Bowie was an English rock star and singer songwriter who were known popularly as David Bowie. He was a prominent figure in the music world and is still considered to be among the topmost influential musicians of all time. There is no doubt that he has had some major hits throughout his career but then again, he also had some pretty tough times in his life. Many of his personal relationships also failed him and he even had to play some sad songs for his close band members.

Comment

Do you know many famous musicians and interesting facts about them? There are basically many types of quizzes, such as https://www.bobblquiz.com/en-US/Quiz-Music-General/ . Depending on individual interests. Some use these apps to make money, some use them for their own entertainment, while others use them to gain knowledge.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:30 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Deborahlanker  
              Started by pflmggusrth, Today, 05:43 AM
              0 responses