Fabolous Real Talk Album Review from XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabolous Real Talk Album Review from XXL

""Ghetto Fab is stuck off the realness. After a slew of shallow radio smashes repsonsible for the platinum success of his '01 debut, Ghetto Fabolous, and '03 follow-up, Street Dreams, the chipped-tooth spitter returns with his third full-length, Real Talk, attempting to prove himself greater than the sum of his past hits.

For an MC used to R&B-swathed love fests like 'Can't Let You Go' and superficial club joints like 'Young'n', the lead single 'Breathe', is like a breath of fresh air. Just Blaze's dramatic stadium rock opus, featuring cascading percussion and pounding keys, perfectly suits Fab as he aereates haters ("I came back with some sicker stones/That got these broke *****s lookin' at me like they chokin' on chicken bones").

F-A-B-O-'s real talk delves deepest on somber selections like 'Can You Hear Me' and 'In My Hood', a track likely to leave Sally Struthers teary-eyed with its hook belted by young children. Ghetto vividly describes the ills of his 'Ville: "You hear the shells tappin' on the 'crete when they're clappin' off the heat/Then the yellow tape's strappin' off the street." Unfortunately, Fab's true-life experience (rags to riches, groupies to haters, oh my!) will fall short of epiphany for anyone familiar with his catalog. Alas, its business as usual.

Mindful of his high-heeled constituents, playboy tugs headstrings with Mike Shorey on his sure-shot second single, 'Baby', a Flame Throwers production that beautifully weds Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder samples. F.A. also tugs string bikinis, pushing fair trade on the 'Tit 4 Tat', a horny Neptunes beat, blessed with a creeping bass and seductive hook, courtesy of Pharrell.

As expected, since Fab introduced himself with 'Can't Deny It', placing 'Pac opposite Nate Dogg, tri-coastal love is in full effect. For the Dirty, 'Do The Damn Thing' is a low-rumbling crunk track that will have asses shaking off reverb alone. The Westside quota gets filled with generic pimpology on 'Somethin' Like A Pimp" and the funky 'Church', featuring "Reverend" Charlie Murphy preaching to the perverted.

More surprising than Real Talk 's creativity deficiency is that Fab's pinky is more be***eled than his rhymes, disappointing for an MC whose treasure trove of clever couplets had him levels above his mixtape peers. Whereas cliched themes (on the road to riches and diamond rings, real *****s do real things) are typically infused with sharp wit, here they lack flair. Over the ominous piano of 'It's Gangsta', (Keepin It Gangsta Part 3?) Fab dips low, declaring, "You know I get high like an eagle/fly like a seagull." He sinks lower on 'It's Ghetto", with "I'm so hard body like the suit on Batman." The lyrical laxity befuddles, not only beacuse Fab's flow is still one of rap's tightest, but because he's had time to craft shock-valuable verses.

Ulitmately Real Talk suffices, but it will leave listeners reconsidering their prejudices against faux real.""

XXL Grade=L

I thought it wud warrant a XL but maybe not, I'm still coppin it tho cuz Fab is niice.....jus thought those who didnt see this wud want to read it.
    And I present to you.....
    Smoke weed every day

i learned long ago to never trust these magazines reviews...everyone likes different shit plus i gaurentee there is some politics involved

Comment

Im not a massive fan of his,but i cant stop listening to 'It's Gangsta' at the moment..that beat is fucking amazing man and his flow is indeed tight.

Ill see what his albums like before i decide to put my money on my first Fab album
      Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984

ITS THAT GLASGOW/BREDA CONNECTION

Comment

yea Breathe and Its Gangsta are dope and im lookin foward to this!

Comment

yea these guys who review the magz listen the songs like twice through, albums take a day for them to grow u on fast

Comment

thanx man, good shit

Comment

Originally posted by Obsurd
              i learned long ago to never trust these magazines reviews...everyone likes different shit plus i gaurentee there is some politics involved
              word and u can tell by the vocabulary of the people who do the reviews that they are not avid listeners of hip hop
              www.soundclick.com/thickerthenwater
              http://www.reelofficial.com/2010/01/the-formula/ (MY GROUPS ALBUM, Stream and DOWNLOAD FOR FREEEEE)

Comment

ill get this anyways, cd should be really good...screw this review
                We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces, ..singing
                Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses.

Track of the Week
                Maroon 5 - Pure Imagination

Comment

Street Dreams was THE SHIT , I wanna hear his new album though
                  Everybody was born to hustle
                  It's a very thin line between a boss and a muscle
                  - Xzibit

Comment

Originally posted by The Hawk
                    ill get this anyways, cd should be really good...screw this review
                    LOL I'm wit him.....I jus posted it for a good read, dont agree wit it
                    Smoke weed every day

Comment

im not expecting anything too great therefore i wont be dissapointed....breathe was a nice track, gangsta is aight, sort of a generic track though.....fabs flow has always been nice, and half the time he comes with punchlines that make you think and its nice, then the other half he has the generic r&b or gangsta tracks that just are like anything else out on the radio just with a nice flow.......so we will all see when it drops.........i bet i will agree with that article review for the most par though
                      FREE PSP...IT's Real, if you need help just ask me
                      http://www.freepsps.com/?r=17558342

Get paid to search the web....also real
                      http://netbux.org/?r=19263

Comment

yeah i'll buy this anyway, kinda sucks XXL hate it but i'll still buy it the first it comes out
                        Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week

Comment

i heard so much bashing on Street Dreams, and i still pump that album daily. he's got the hottest flow in the business... and his lines are sick. fuck what the reviews say, this album is gonna be tyte. this is the same magazine that prolly would put "Just Lose It" in the top 10 singles of '04.
                          Last edited by R-iZZy; 10-13-2004, 06:43 PM.
                          The Myth of Chopper City Suit

"Chuck Norris once tried to put on a Chopper Suit. Scientists think that this may have caused the big bang."

Comment

Originally posted by R-iZZy
                            i heard so much bashin ong Street Dreams, and i still pump that album daily. he's got the hottest flow in the business... and his lines are sick. fuck what the reviews say, this album is gonna be tyte. this is the same magazine that prolly would put "Just Lose It" in the top 10 singles of '04.
                            hahaha
                            Smoke weed every day

Comment

Originally posted by TheSixGunn
                              ""F-A-B-O-'s real talk delves deepest on somber selections like 'Can You Hear Me' and 'In My Hood', a track likely to leave Sally Struthers teary-eyed with its hook belted by young children.

Is it Me or are those two songs not on the tracklist?
                              D E S T I N Y F O U N D

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by margueriteh, Today, 01:33 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post margueriteh  
                              Started by Bynarden, 08-31-2019, 05:51 AM