• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixtape Monday: Beastie Boys Rap With Biggie; Beyonce Raps In The Projects

from mtv.com:

Aritst: Green Lantern

Representing: NYC

Mixtape: Beastie Boys New York State of Mind

411: Nobody can tell Green Lantern's story better than the Evil Genius, so we're just going to let him rock. Here, he tells how this mixtape — which finds Green taking the vocals from Beastie Boys records and matching them with some of the rawest hip-hop beats — came about and comments on the tracks.

"[The mixtape] was supposed to be out before their album [To the 5 Boroughs] but I had too much going on," Green, who was originally solicited to work on the mixtape by former Capitol A&R 3H, said. "But I was like, 'F--- it, it's the Beastie Boys and their own piece of work. I set out to create an official Beasties mixtape that no one has ever heard. I hear they love it, [although] I haven't spoken to them yet."

Joints To Check For

"Looking Down." "On this track, I used [the beat from] Jay-Z's 'U Don't Know.' I thought the beat was slow and hard. They're yelling their vocals. I felt the moods matched and I wanted to add something else because they were talking about guns. So I took Biggie's vocals from 'Come On,' a slow joint where Biggie is talking about guns."

"Rhyme the Rhyme." "That's simple. He's sayin', 'I'm Mike D. with a story to tell.' I just put the whole thing over Biggie's 'Story to Tell.' It worked crazy."

"Body Movin'." "I used 'Hip-Hop Junkies' by Nice & Smooth, 'Dwyck' by [both] Gang Starr and Nice & Smooth and 'Rock Dis Funky Joint' by Poor Righteous Teachers. Those songs come from a fun era in hip-hop. The Beasties stay in that fun chamber, so I f---ed with early '90s sh--. I thought all the moods of these songs matched well, but I had to make it all work together."

Don't Sleep: Other Notable Selections This Week

Royce Da 5'9" 's Presents the M.I.C.: Official Mixtape Vol. 2
    Big Mike & DJ Envy's Professional Hood Sh-- #3
    Kurupt and DJ Strong's War Vol. 1
    DJ Butta's St. Laz
    DJ Kool Kid's Between the Lines
    Ness' The Leak: Rhyme or Crime Volume 1
    DJ Kut Nyce's Xxxxtra Naked Slow Jamz Skrewed & Chopped

'Hood's Heavy Rotation: Bubbling Below The Radar
    "The Return" remix by Jay-Z and R. Kelly featuring Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh
    "Doin It" by Busta Rhymes featuring Redman
    "Suga" by Trick Daddy featuring Cee-Lo and Ludacris
    Celebrity Favs

Despite being the victim of a humorous jab from Fat Joe on Ja Rule's "New York," former boxing champ Roy Jones Jr. bears no ill will. In fact, he's digging Joey Crack. "I'mma tell you, Fat Joe's last album [Loyalty] was one of my favorites," the champ said. "I have to give it to whoever's doing at the time. He did it big with 'Lean Back.' I like Akon's 'Locked Up,' too. That was my song."

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground

You're not hallucinating: Yes, a million Vote or Die! mixtapes by various DJs have landed on the streets in the last two weeks. As you know, P. Diddy and his folks have been in overtime-grind mode, trying to get the 18-and-overs to the polls on Election Day. P.D.'s latest marketing strategy has been to get feet moving onto the pavement by making sure his words flood the pavement.

According to his camp, Diddy has solicited approximately 100 drops from his celebrity friends promoting voter awareness and has been servicing them to DJs all over. The spinners, of course, are not wasting the opportunity and all of them have been throwing Mr. Combs on their cover and including pre-recorded P.D. drops as well.

Killa Cam is no liar, people! A few weeks ago, we told you that there was a bootleg of Cam's forthcoming album, Purple Haze, circulating. The captain of the Dip Set told us that the bootleg was bogus and most of the songs wouldn't be appearing on the album. Well, we heard Cam's official LP a few days ago and all we'll say is that he's telling the truth. One bugged-out thing to come from the session is that Dip A&R duke Da God put us up on game.

The girl you're hearing singing the hook on Purple Haze's new single, "Girls," is songstress Mona Lisa. It's been a long time so here's a refresher. Mona's name was ringing out in the streets back in '96 with a record called "Just Wanna Please U." Turns out, Monie Mone had the foresight of Nostradamus, because her guest stars on the track were a young trio from Yonkers with the names Jadakiss, Styles and Sheek — who had a last name back then, "Luchion." Mona is off of her elongated hiatus and has been working with "Girls" producer Charlemagne (the Diplomats, Talib Kweli) since last year. "We got like 13, 15 songs done," Charlemagne said. "We been working since last year. We been going hard."

Since we're on some ol' Bad Boy nostalgia tip this week, peep this. Black Rob is back. Yes, Black "Hasn't Dropped An Album Since 1999" Rob is back. He's planning to put out a street album called Bet on Black in December or January and then hit us with a double LP later in 2005. Rob hasn't just been sitting on the sidelines, wracking his brain to come up with another hit as big as "Whoa." Dude has been through it — but you'll have to log on and read in-depth about it next week right here.

Are you ready for the wildest thing ever? A cat named Young French slipped us his new street DVD called Drugs on Music: Cocaine City Vol. 2. It includes your regular street-DVD cast of characters like Gloria Velez, Bad Boy's Ness, AZ and your keep-it-real 'hood reps, like Harlem legend Azie Faizon and a man who says he is "the original Pretty Toney."

But he most bugged-out moments on the DVD come courtesy of Beyoncé. There's a segment where someone attempted to make a video for Jay-Z's "December 4th." Besides Hov's mom being in the clip saying her lines from the song, B. is in the video lip-syncing Jigga's lines and talking on the telephone. The most well-known member of Destiny's even drops some playful battle raps of her own in the middle of the projects. Jay-Z himself doesn't actually rap the record in the clip, but they do show footage of him getting arrested and performing with Ja Rule at a nightclub.

You may remember former Jay-Z DJ and Roc-A-Fella A&R man Lenny Santiago as being down with the Roc almost from the label's inception, but he has recently moved on. Lenny is now over at Virgin as an A&R and one of his first actions has been to keep it in Brooklyn, signing underground rhyme stalwart Stimuli. Stim doesn't just have an ordinary deal, he's been inked through his own production company, Underworld.

"I chose Virgin because I feel like their urban department is not stacked with a bunch of rappers in my market," Stim said about whittling down his choice of labels to one. "Lenny S. got the job over here and believed in our vision so we didn't have to go the independent route with Underworld.

"It feels crazy to be a part of a major label," he added. "We aren't used to having people behind us that can help fund what we've been doing ourselves. I'm bugging, I just heard myself on Hot 97! You have no idea how excited I am." Stimuli's official debut is titled Thee Emotion Picture LP and is due sometime next year. Just Blaze, Needles, 9th Wonder and Midi Mafia are all laying tracks.

good shit

Comment

yeah good read YO PSY you still got that dec 4th video? hook me up wiht it if you do haha peace
      "The West is BACK!!! " - DJ Heat

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by WesleyDrake, Today, 06:40 PM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post WesleyDrake