NeW JiN IntervieW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeW JiN IntervieW!!!

There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says ďThe flower that you spent time to care for does not grow, while the willow that you accidentally planted flourishes and gives shade.Ē When the immigrant father of Chinese-American rapper Jin made the 14,225-mile trek to the United States as a young man, he dreamed of capturing the prosperity that had lured millions before him. Unfortunately, even with hard work and determination, those dreams never materialized in the way he envisioned. Meanwhile, Jin, who released his much-anticipated Ruff Ryders/Virgin solo debut The Rest of the Stoty on October 19th, is already reaping the benefits of success from Hip-Hop -- a hobby his pops never thought would amount to much.

Born and raised in Miami, Florida, Jin started freestyling with friends in the school cafeteria during his eighth grade year. Fully aware of the many challenges an Asian-American kid with a borrowed New York flow would encounter, the energetic teenager went about making a name for himself in local battle ciphers. After building a solid reputation in Luke and Trick Daddyís backyard, Jin took his lyrical ambitions to the grand stage of Hip-Hop, New York City, and BETís popular ďFreestyle FridaysĒ battle rap competition on 106th & Park. Seven consecutive wins, one record deal and a groundbreaking single later, Jin is poised to set the world on fire and make daddy proud.

Your story is very similar to Eminemís climb to fame with all the obstacles he had to overcome to gain credibility on the underground battle circuit. Do you see yourself having the same impact/influence on the Asian American community as Slim Shady has had on the white community?

If someone wants to compare my struggles to Eminem, all I can say is [Iím flattered], but Iím not trying to [emulate] Eminemís story. If thereís anybody I want to be like its Will Smith. He embodies a true success factor by taking it from music into different areas. Not just acting, but acting good. When I say I want to be like Will Smith, Iím not talking about his style of not cursing or whatever. Iím talking about him as a person. If you were to meet him and not really know him, you could tell heís a good brother. Heís a family man. I have that same energy.

Speaking of familyÖ what are some of the lessons youíve learned from your father?

I learned that hard work may not always pay off, but you always get something out of it. My father came to this country when he was twelve or thirteen years old in search of the American Dream. He worked very hardÖ. real work. Iím not saying a desk job isnít real work, but he was working in a restaurant losing weight, getting skinny in Miami in 100-degree weather. After all those years, he has nothing to show for itÖ so to speak. What he does have is a son who is somewhat successful and living his American Dream.

How does he feel about you being a rapper?

It took a lot of convincing at first to make [my parents] understand this is what I wanted to do with my life.

And now that itís paid off?

He and my mother are completely supportive of [my career]. Theyíre very happy for me.

You were born and raised in Miami. Why didnít you embrace the Dirty South flavor?

Itís hard to explain musical taste. Itís like me asking, why do you like chocolate ice cream? I think for me itís because I got into Hip-Hop from listening to Top 40 radio and what was on the radio was stuff like LL Cool J and more of an East Coast vibe. So, here I am in the Deep South sounding like Nas and Jay-Z. There was really nowhere I could go with my style of music [down there].

Whatís www.holla-front.com all about?

If you think Jin and you think Internet, you think www.holla-front.com. I started posting my rhymes and stuff on there and battling people. This one kid saw me on 106th and Park and was like, ďYo, I want to build you a [better] site with this and that.Ē I was like cool, how much is it going to cost? He said nothing and put it together for free. I started yelling out [the web address] on 106th & Park. Now itís getting like millions of hits every month.

What does someone have to do to get on 106th & Parkís ďFreestyle Fridays?Ē

It was a couple of years ago when I was on so the process may have changed, but itís very formal. There are a series of auditions you have to go through. Theyíre not auditions where you battle to advance. Theyíre more to see how you handle yourself on camera.

So what didnít you do right the first time around?

It wasnít something I did or didnít do. They bullshitted me. I didnít even get to audition. I won a battle contest at the Rucker in New Jersey. The prize was supposed to be an appearance on 106th & Park. I went home to Miami after the contest. The only reason I came back to New York was to be on the show and they started saying it wasnít like that. It was bullsh*t. I basically made that trip for nothing. The next time I just went through the [normal] audition process like everyone else.

Itís been a while since the release of ďLearn Chinese.Ē Do you feel you accomplished what you set out to accomplish with that single?

Yes, most definitely. My purpose for making that the first single was beyond my record deal and the industry. I felt like I wanted to make a statement with ďLearn Chinese.Ē I know people might say itís gimmicky or whatever, but itís a classic in itís own right. Itís not a classic in the same way a Tupac or Biggie song is a classic. Itís a classic because itís the first of its kind, plus I did it with Wyclef [Jean]. No one has ever broken down Chinese culture in rhyme like that. Theyíre still playing it in places like Australia. If I had to do it all over again, thereís no song Iíd want to come out with other than that. It was a true Hip-Hop track. Ten years from now when people look back, theyíll say that song jump-started a movement.

So you think youíve inspired other Asian Americans to try their hand at rapping?

Absolutely, but Iíve always been a strong supporter of diversity in Hip-Hop, not just for Asian people, for everybody.

Last one. How much would it cost to buy an iced-out Ruff Ryders piece like yours?

I canít say for sure because I didnít buy it, but I dropped it a couple of times and three or four stones had to be replaced. Based on what it cost me to get it fixed, the piece alone without the chain is probably about [fifteen thousand dollars].
    Song Of The Week
    EMINEM FT DR.DRE & 50 - ENCORE

"Crazy Insane or Insane Crazy when i say Hussein u say CZ"

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by cbdoilcanzanauk, Today, 12:54 AM
0 responses
1 view
0 likes