HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police capture dangerous saltwater crocodile, release it in popular swimming hole..+1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police capture dangerous saltwater crocodile, release it in popular swimming hole..+1

Croc released into wrong lagoon

AUTHORITIES are hunting for a dangerous saltwater crocodile accidentally released by police into a popular lagoon in the far north of Western Australia.

Department of Conservation and Land Management (CALM) staff have set traps at scenic Lily Creek Lagoon, near the tourist town of Kununurra, in an attempt to recapture the 1.8m reptile.
    Warnings have been issued for children and dogs to avoid the area while the crocodile is on the loose, CALM's Kimberley district wildlife officer Brad Rushforth said today.

Kununurra police had confused the saltie with the common and much less dangerous freshwater species, Mr Rushforth said.

Police officers made the mistake after they had removed the crocodile from a woman's laundry.

The shocked woman had returned from a holiday late at night to find a taped-up crocodile caught by an authorised crocodile catcher who had planned to take it to a nearby crocodile sanctuary in her home.

The catcher is a friend of the woman's son.

"The police took a few photos and put it in the back of one of their vehicles and someone with them at the time described it as freshwater croc," Mr Rushforth told ABC Radio.

"Based on that information, they thought: We might as well let it go.

"A few days later I received a call from police saying we have some photos you might be interested in, so I had a look and I knew reasonably quickly that they had released a saltwater crocodile into Lily Creek Lagoon, in Lake Kununurra, which is a crocodile management zone.

"That means if there is a saltwater or estuarine crocodile sighted in there (CALM) are able to have it removed for public safety reasons."

Lily Creek Lagoon is a popular spot for boating, walking and bird-watching, with a caravan park and other accommodation located on its shores.

The crocodile was relatively small, but, with the potential to grow to 6 to 7m, it posed a threat if not recaptured, Mr Rushforth said.

After setting a trap about 50m downstream from the boat ramp where the crocodile was released, CALM had conducted a spotlight patrol which had failed to locate the reptile, he said.

"We're planning to put another trap in further downstream and continue spotlight patrols until it is found. We've got a bit of work to do now," Mr Rushforth said.

"There are thousands and thousands of freshwater crocs in Lily Creek Lagoon, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack."

A MAN who became a paraplegic at 14 when he dived off a road bridge into a New South Wales river was awarded more than $1 million in damages today.

Philip Dederer, now 20, sued the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) and the Great Lakes Shire Council in the NSW Supreme Court after he was paralysed in a diving accident off the Forster/Tuncurry Bridge into the Wallamba River on December 31, 1998.

Mr Dederer, from Newcastle, claimed the RTA and the council were negligent despite there being signs prohibiting diving, because the signs did not say diving was dangerous.

Justice John Dunford agreed and today awarded Mr Dederer $1,050,000 in damages.

He ruled the RTA was 80 per cent responsible for the accident and should pay $840,000, while the council was liable for 20 per cent of the damages to a total of $210,000.

The judge ruled the signs erected were inadequate because young people continued to dive from the bridge.

"I am satisfied that the signs were not effective in the sense that large numbers of young people continued to dive, do somersaults, etc from the bridge," he said.

But he ruled Mr Dederer was partially responsible for his injuries and therefore reduced his original $1.4 million payout by 25 per cent.

Outside court, Mr Dederer said he was relieved with the result but was concerned teenagers and children were still diving off the same bridge and the signs had not been changed.

"I wouldn't like to see another person get into the same position as I did," he said.

Judge Dunford ruled the RTA pay 80 per cent and the council 20 per cent of Mr Dederer's costs.
    My other aliases:
    justp1ayin
    West
    Masai
    On The Shelf

Originally posted by Nasen
    i seeth for a minute
    Originally posted by Derty JaSoN
    i have no clue who was de-re whatever

oh shit...lol....stupid ppl these days....
    Originally posted by Stat Quo
    yo that shit sounds like it can work...i fucks wit it...keep doin whatchu do...u gone be alright in this game
    Originally posted by Hush
    keep doing ya thang homie! Holla...
    www.myspace.com/teknikalmusic

Comment

crazy

Comment

hahahahaha

Did you know crocs kill about 2000 people every year? I'm serious, look it up if you don't believe me. They're much worse than sharks.
        "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Deborahlanker, 03-20-2021, 12:59 PM
        7 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Florida White  
        Started by Deborahlanker, 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM
        8 responses