Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed News: P. Diddy, Busta Rhymes, Taye Diggs, Jay-Z & More

3/20/05

Sean “P. Diddy” Combs will produce 150 custom luxury Lincoln Navigators at the cost of at least $100,000 according to reports. In line with Combs’ Hip-Hop flair, the Navigators will come with six television screens, Playstation 2, a DVD player, satellite navigation and other custom features. The vehicles will be sold through internet auction site Ebay. In related news, Diddy was hit with a lawsuit by Columbia Pictures, over the soundtrack to “Bad Boys 2.” The $1.6 million lawsuit claims Combs’ Bad Boy agreed to pay $1 million in up-front costs for the soundtrack, but to date, the label has only paid $27, 835.

Speaking of Diddy, apparently he is looking to express his new penchant for politics on his next album. Puff has enlisted the services of socially aware emcees Common and Talib Kweli to pen some of his material. Meanwhile, rapper/producer Kanye West is on board to produce several tracks for Puff's new project, which is currently in the works. The record is reportedly Diddy's last solo album.

Rev. Al Sharpton's political organization, The National Acton Network, will host its annual convention next month and invite the media, politicians, and fans to examine the recent rash of Hip-Hop violence. Sharpton will use his annual National Action Network Convention to promote his call to ban violent artists. The convention will be held in the heart of New York City at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers from April 8-11. Attendees will stem from various backgrounds including the media, politics and entertainment and address the serious issue of Hip-Hop violence.

Ex-Fugees Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean roused appetites for a Fugees reunion yet again when the duo reunited onstage at a charity concert Friday (March 18) for victims of the South Asian tsunamis. About 15,000 people attended the seven-hour concert at Stadium Putra in Malaysia, the Associated Press reported.

Busta Rhymes is planning a pair of rap returns of his own – himself and that of rapper Raekwon. The Flipmode leader said he has jumped on to executive produce the Wu Tang Clan member’s upcoming album, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part Two.

Apl de Ap of the Black Eyed Peas revealed that he will give back to Filipino artists by setting up a record label or management firm. The firm would feature local talent from the Philippines according to Apl de Ap, born Allan Pineda. As a member of Black Eyed Peas, Pineda is reportedly the first Filipino to have won a prestigious Grammy Award.

Following in Samuel L. Jackson's footsteps, Taye Diggs recently declared he's sick of rappers using their celebrity to get lead roles in movies. Diggs also revealed that he has lost several jobs to rappers. "It seemed like I was constantly being beat out by rappers. It would be down to me and someone else, and I'd find out that the someone else was a Hip-Hop artist," Diggs griped.

Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith, an associate of Jay-Z, may be considered a fugitive from the law after he missed a court date in Dec. to answer to misdemeanor charges that he pepper-sprayed R.Kelly. According to Page Six, the new allegations claim that Smith is attempting to avoid a compromising position in a future civil case. "To go on the run from a misdemeanor assault seems like he's trying to avoid being a witness in the civil case," Kelly's lawyer, Ed Hayes, said.

Will Smith hosted Nelson Mandela’s 46662 concert last night in South Africa. This year the use of technology helped the event raise $1.6 million dollars by donations using text messaging. India Arie, Annie Lennox, Queen and numerous South African groups performed for a crowd of over 20,000 people at the southern resort of George. Proceeds of the event go to Mandela’s Nelson Mandela Foundation, which is dedicated to combating the spread of HIV/AIDS. "I would love to enjoy the peace and quiet of retirement but I know that, like many of you, I cannot rest easily while our beloved continent is ravaged by a deadly epidemic," Mandela said. "For every woman and girl violently attacked, we reduce our humanity. For every moment we remain silent, we conspire against our women. For every woman infected by HIV, we destroy a generation."

Irv Gotti requested to separate the Murder Inc. head's federal money laundering case from the murder and racketeering charges of other defendants, including drug kingpin Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff. Brooklyn federal judge Edward Korman permitted defense attorney Gerald Lefcourt to ask for Irv Gotti's case to be disconnected from McGriff, who is accused of murder, New York Newsday reported.

During a recent online interview, Saigon shared that he thought Fat Joe and Jadakiss took "Piggy Bank" too seriously. The Yardfather also mentioned that Fiddy masterfully orchestrated his album's release by hyping the single months before The Massacre, only to squash the beef with The Game on the week of its release. Sai added that Joe and Jada should have fell back instead of retaliating at a time where 50 is making peace. "Now, 50 shows the people that he has a heart. Now, Fat Joe and Jadakiss look like they're promoting bullsh!t. He's won already. They were stupid for going at him. If I'm Fat Joe, I'd be like, 'You won, you beat me.' What Fat Joe did on the radio was perfect when he just talked on the radio."

Word is The Source's co-owner Ray Benzino is opting for the lavish life instead of paying his people. The industry is talking about how Zino flew a load of people to the Dominican Republic during the week of March 4th to shoot a video for his Arch Nemesis album. Meanwhile, back at The Source offices, staffers patiently waited for their paychecks - which have the strange habit of not clearing. Despite a promise to rectify the problem by changing banks, the paychecks bounced again on the 4th. Pissed, some of the employees left the office early. SOHH.com has learned that Joshua "Fahiym" Ratcliffe, who was later named Editor-In-Chief, protested by not showing up for the day. This further fuels the reports that The Source Magazine is in debt. Meanwhile, Benzino's latest solo effort, Arch Nemesis quietly hit stores recently and sold a mere 10,000 copies in its first week.

Twelve years after Snoop Dogg's debut, his younger brother, Bing is teaming up with DJ Quik's cousin, Hittman, to form a new Los Angeles super group. The streets are buzzing that the duo is close to inking with Island Def Jam and prepping to release a star-studded LP including production by Dr. Dre, The Neptunes, Scott Storch, Battlecat, Jermaine Dupri and Daz Dillinger. In addition to all-star production, the record will feature guest appearances from Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, The Game, and Vita.

Damn zino flopped worse, he's last album sold 14, 000 copies in its first week, then now he sold 10, 000. How sad..Not
    Anyway wast hittman doin breathin, I thought he got shot dead? Anyway if that was only a rumor then that's kool coz he's a good rapper
    Who woulda known that jesus would come to the ghetto
    On that level,
    And that thorough, like a black hero
    And pack metal, so rap rebels will back pedal
    The rap pharoahe,
    Of five boroughs
    Rakim

Comment

thanks....good to hear that new hittman will be coming out soon

Comment

Hitt is Quik's cousin? That album looks promising
        "Say you rollin on dubs, I'll roll over ya shit in a tank/