HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allhiphop.com Feature: Canadian Rapper K-OS Breaking Old Ground; Platinum in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allhiphop.com Feature: Canadian Rapper K-OS Breaking Old Ground; Platinum in Canada

Source
    K-OS: Breaking Old Ground
    By Jarrod Miller-Dean

K-OS took the Hip-Hop scene by storm with his video for ďSuper Star Part Zero.Ē A vivid but simple look at the post-modern B-Boy even made its way to the top. Not since Choclairís debut, had so many Stateside eyes been on talent in Canada. But the album sales didnít quite match the strength of the single.

With the release of his new album, Joyful Rebellion, he once again brings a new level of stamina to Hip-Hop. The Trinidad born MC is calm and focused in demeanor with AllHipHop.com. Just as his music, he has a concentrated creativeness, even hours before traveling across the world.

As 2005 continues to link listeners with K-OS, it certainly wouldíve been tragic had he kept his promise to release only one album. Get to know one of the pure-thinkers of the mainstream, and travel the depths of K-OSí mind.

AllHipHop.com: I have to ask this, howíd you come up with the spelling for your name?

K-OS: It was a gradual thing. I didnít want to have the same spelling [chaos] as in the dictionary, ďNoun. A state of utter confusion.Ē Iím didnít want to embody that kind of energy. I messed with different spellings and meanings. Itís a reminder of what Iím on a mission to do.

AllHipHop.com: I heard that Exit was supposed to be your first and last album. What made you change your mind?

K-OS: Music made me change my mind. When you have a good day, you smile and laugh. You realize that things arenít really as bad as you originally thought. I was inspired by different areas of music. I finished a lot in a short span of time.

AllHipHop.com: Do you consider yourself a conscious rapper?

K-OS: Iím a self-conscious rapper. I am aware of myself. I believe in self-investigation and examination.

AllHipHop.com: What makes this album different from the previous?

K-OS: Perfectionism. The next thing is always better than the previous.

AllHipHop.com: On your album, I really dug ďB-boy StanceĒ What inspired you on that track?

K-OS: Chuck D., Mos Def, Sticky FingazÖ

AllHipHop.com: Really, Sticky Fingaz? I canít say I see that connection.

K-OS: ďSlamĒ made me envision someone in a B-boy stance. Sticky even said it, ďIím a B-boy in my B-boy stance. Hurry up and give me the microphone before I bust in my pants.Ē

AllHipHop.com: Who and what inspired you when you were growing up?

K-OS: My father inspired me. He showed me that that intelligence was more important than anything. He was also a big Jazz fan. I got all of my samples for the first album, from his collection.

AllHipHop.com: Whatís your favorite Jazz album?

K-OS: Anything by Miles Davis. I enjoy his music for his teachings. I learn from them.

AllHipHop.com: Tell me about the Canadian Hip-Hop scene lately.

K-OS: Itís really positive. Itís still small though. There are never more than one or two MCís in the spot light at a time. Thereís too much main-stream culture. Itís harder to have a broader spectrum in Canada.

AllHipHop.com: Who should we be on the look out for?

K-OS: Iím not even sure. In the Toronto are thereís the Rascalz, Saukrates, Shelly Stone.

AllHipHop.com: Is there really distinction from your Hip-Hop to United States Hip-Hop?

K-OS: Weíre young, so weíre still trying to find a voice. Most of us are first and second generation Canadians. Our parents came here. Weíre trying to rap, but weíre trying to express ourselves on a conscious level.

AllHipHop.com: Explain the particular style you created for yourself.

K-OS: I donít have a style. Iím just expressing myself. I try to observe from the outside. Iím inspired by so many rappers that it makes me different. Rakim, Mos Def, Talib, Q-Tip all had big influences on me. Canada doesnít have any older brothers to look up to, so the lyrics become diverse. I never listen to someone to copy their style. Style is self-conscious. I believe that self-inner light is my inspiration. Iím about self-knowledge.

AllHipHop.com: Your music is very diverse and youíre also originally from Trinidad, tell me how that affects you music?

K-OS: You can make music out of anything. When I was a kid, you could sit and watch someone carve out a drum all day. I used to watch them for hours. I began to do it also. You can make music out of anything around you.

AllHipHop.com: You mentioned Canadian Hip-Hop, but what do you think about the current state of Hip-Hop?

K-OS: Iím more concerned wit the current state of the world. Hip-hop is part of that. As children of the world, weíre growing.

AllHipHop.com: How do you feel that your album got a larger response than Kweli and Mos Def?

K-OS: In Canada, my album went Platinum. But thatís where Iím from. Mos Def and Talib are experimental. Later on, people will go back and realize how amazing it was. It will be new to them. MCís get tired of doing the same thing. They try to express themselves in different ways. Good artists will trust in themselves. Nas does that. He expresses himself in different ways. It makes us go from the left to the right.

AllHipHop.com: Whatís next for you?

K-OS: Iím doing ten dates with Handsome Boy Modeling School.

AllHipHop.com: I noticed that after ďSuperstarĒ getting crazy play two years ago, I havenít seen that many of you videos on TV?

K-OS: They first come out in Canada. I have a few of them. They donít get as much, or any airplay anymore in the U.S. on stations like MTV or BET, but theyíre there

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted his Album 'Joyfull Rebellion' in Music Links. You should give it a quick listen
    Last edited by |-Green-|; 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM.
    "a lot of truth is said in jest"

nice, he definitely deserves this

hopefully he'll take Kanye's place some day
    "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

K-os is good, too bad Americans don't see it...

Comment

word.

Glad to see K-OS is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Good lookin'.

Comment

He was the man behind the track "Heaven Only Knows" right?

If so then he deserves this

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
            He was the man behind the track "Heaven Only Knows" right?

If so then he deserves this

ya that song+ video was sick/original
            "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

Just for the sake of sayin it...

K-OS > Kanye.

Comment

Good read
                I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

Comment

wtf i like k-os, why is he platinum?
                  What I'm Listening To

Comment

^
                    lol

Anyway, props for posting, nice to see some artists who deserve it going platinum. I like to believe i did my part by picking this album up a while back. Anyone know what the next single is? I hope its love song.
                    "I can gather all the news I need on the weather report."

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
                      K-os is good, too bad Americans don't see it...
                      K-Os is amazing.

But consider this: If some artist from Canada is hating on US's "gangster" rappers...is he gonna get any recognition from US artists or media?
                      My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
                      How Do You Listen To Music?

Comment

K-OS is the truth! Good to see he is getting some recognition in the U.S.
                        .//01111101001111110101011090092032030010013001010010 10015531001444010101932039010101000101010215515501 0110101010102621018989210100118860001010115421263/...

Comment

Nice, Joyful Rebllion was hot! He should have been recognized by the gammies. He should get big in the states.
                          Peace & Love

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Smilert, 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Torry
                          by Torry