X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Dead in Minnesota School Shooting

UPDATE!!! 10 Dead in Minnesota School Shooting... from yahoo.com

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer

BEMIDJI, Minn. - A high school student went on a shooting rampage on an Indian reservation Monday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, grinning and waving as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The suspect apparently killed himself after exchanging gunfire with police.

It was the nation's worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999 that killed 13 people.

One student said her classmates pleaded with the gunman to stop shooting.

"You could hear a girl saying, 'No, Jeff, quit, quit. Leave me alone. What are you doing?" student Sondra Hegstrom told The Pioneer of Bemidji, using the name of the suspected shooter.

Before the shootings at Red Lake High School, the suspect's grandparents were shot in their home and died later. There was no immediate indication of the gunman's motive.

In addition to the shooter, the death toll at the school included five students, a teacher and a security guard, FBI (news - web sites) spokesman Paul McCabe said in Minneapolis.

Fourteen to 15 other students were injured, McCabe said. Some were being cared for in Bemidji, about 20 miles south of Red Lake. Authorities closed roads to the reservation in far northern Minnesota while they investigated the shootings.

Hegstrom described the shooter grinning and waving at a student his gun was pointed at, then swiveling to shoot someone else. "I looked him in the eye and ran in the room, and that's when I hid," she told The Pioneer.

McCabe declined to talk about a possible connection between the suspect and the couple killed at the home, but Red Lake Fire Director Roman Stately said they were the grandparents of the gunman. He identified the shooter's grandfather as Daryl Lussier, a longtime officer with the Red Lake Police Department, and said Lussier's guns may have been used in the shootings.

Stately said the shooter had two handguns and a shotgun.

"After he shot a security guard, he walked down the hallway shooting and went into a classroom where he shot a teacher and more students," Stately told Minneapolis television station KARE.

Students and a teacher, Diane Schwanz, said the gunman tried to break down a door to get into her classroom.

"I just got on the floor and called the cops," Schwanz told the Pioneer. "I was still just half-believing it."

Ashley Morrison, another student, had taken refuge in Schwanz's classroom. With the shooter banging on the door, she dialed her mother on her cell phone. Her mother, Wendy Morrison, said she could hear gunshots on the line.

"'Mom, he's trying to get in here and I'm scared,'" Ashley Morrison told her mother.

All of the dead students were found in one room. One of them was a boy believed to be the shooter, McCabe said. He would not comment on reports that the boy shot himself and said it was too early to speculate on a motive.

Martha Thunder's 15-year-old son, Cody, was being treated for a gunshot wound to the hip.

"He heard gunshots and the teacher said 'No, that's the janitor's doing something,' and the next thing he knew, the kid walked in there and pointed the gun right at him," Thunder said.

The school was evacuated after the shootings and locked down for the investigation, McCabe said.

"It will probably take us throughout the night to really put the whole picture together," he said.

Floyd Jourdain Jr., chairman of the Red Lake Chippewa Tribe, called it "without a doubt the darkest hour" in the group's history. "There has been a considerable amount of lives lost, and we still don't know the total of that," Jourdain said.

It was the nation's worst school shooting since two students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 23 before killing themselves on April 20, 1999.

The rampage in Red Lake was the second fatal school shooting in Minnesota in 18 months. Two students were killed at Rocori High School in Cold Spring in September 2003. Student John Jason McLaughlin, who was 15 at the time, awaits trial in the case.

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Chippewa Tribe, one of the poorest in the state. According to the 2000 census, 5,162 people lived on the reservation, and all but 91 were Indians.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-21-2005, 09:50 PM.

Damn ......

A shooting Monday afternoon on the Red Lake Indian Reservation has left eight people dead.

FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe says there were two shootings taking place about one hour apart.

The first took place at the residence of the shooter’s grandparents. The grandfather is a former police officer and it is believed the shooter used his guns. Both victims were taken to a hospital, where they died.

The shooter then headed to the Red Lake High School where he killed six people, including a teacher and a security guard.

McCabe said he believed the shooter was among the dead, he wouldn’t say more than that there was evidence indicating the shooter was dead.

The shooting was reported about 3 p.m. on Monday afternoon.

Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, told the Star Tribune that as many as 14 other people were injured.

Four victims were being treated at North Country Regional Hospital in Bemidji, said Sherri Birkeland, the hospital's vice president of development and planning. She had no specific information on the victims or the shooting.

Two other victims were airlifted to MeritCare Hospital in Fargo, N.D., said an administrator.

The Red Lake Indian Reservation is in far northern Minnesota, about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minneosta chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks. "They have got it closed off," she said.

Comment

damn kids/people these days...sooner or later theres gonna be fuckin metal detectors at every damn school in america bc of this.
      It's hard man, my life is scarred man
      I'm losin my mind so now it's time
      Sincerely signed,
      -N9ne-

Comment

but nah that's fucked up. why do all the quiet, midwest states get the school shootings?
        Patesco nudus rabidus

Comment

yep.....i'm from minnesota just heard about it

fucked up shit
          Truth Himself Facebook

www.facebook.com/truthhimself

Comment

I'm actually surprised they already don't have metal detectors at every school. I bet within the next 5 years it will be MANDATORY. RIP
            Originally posted by Krayzie Bone
            Gotta flow that's so sick, my shit's in critical condition/ And if there's a cure for this, I don't need a fixin

Comment

lol
              Originally posted by Ifbbita
              as for this thread, I was thinking about buying a 500 Smith and Wesson Magnum. With hollow tip rounds, you can blast a hole through Jesus...
              Fucking Awesome

Comment

figured i would up this thread... since i made it about 3 hrs before likwid e.... i dont usually bitch about this shit, but my post was literally 5 posts from the top.. if it was off the first page, it might've been different... but he didnt even bother looking.....

mad props to ruff for enforcing the News forum rules!

best... mod... ever!

Last edited by Monk; 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM.

Comment

lol @ you bitching about someone else posting the same thread as you, I didnt know it hurt you that much Monk

Being my thread had more information than yours... all yours was was just another "Breaking News" thread that held as much info as the title. My thread on the other hand had more information and was more interesting until you got jealous and went off to find another site that reported the story

Therefore,

My thread > Your thread

(That's why yours was on the 2nd page)

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                    figured i would up this thread... since i made it about 3 hrs before likwid e.... i dont usually bitch about this shit, but my post was literally 5 posts from the top.. if it was off the first page, it might've been different... but he didnt even bother looking.....

mad props to ruff for enforcing the News forum rules!

best... mod... ever!

it was me jackass

but yeah id do it for anybody

lets not turn this into a beef thread just post on the tragedy please

no need for a e argument
                    My President Is Black

Comment

^ You guys need to fix that site supporter shit. Now YOU have two
                      cinematic adoration

Comment

craziness

Comment

illuminati sleeper agent

http://www.illuminati-news.com
                          KILLUMINATI
                          Kill those illuminati fuckers, kill em all.
                          illuminati-news.com

Comment

sorry Clear.. i didnt realize you were the one who got rid of the idiot Likwid's thread... it's nice to see that at least the mods can see one thread 5 posts down from another......

lol @ Likwid crying... like i said, if my thread was on the 2nd page, i wouldnt have made a big deal about it... but since, when i saw your thread... mine was only 5 posts down, i had to say something... not to mention T&T updated the thread almost immediately after i made it..... Likwid acting as if he has connections in the media giving him more info than anyone else.... no wonder he got his vet status stripped almost as fast as it was given....

go try and rat on more people by calling Jason and crying.... shit, he probably had to change his number because of you... not the person you ratted on....

EDIT:: and One-Way... i believe all new mods have the double supporter status images.... just something i noticed... not all have them, just the newest mods.
                            Last edited by Monk; 03-21-2005, 09:49 PM.

Comment

LOL @ you actually responding, this must have ruffled your feathers or something. If anyone is "crying" it had to have been you since you got jealous once I posted the same thread as you. Your post was so stupid I just had to say something... "acting as if he has connections in the media giving him more info than anyone else" LMAO... not only was that was so retarded and immature at the same time, but if anyone is bragging about "having connections to the media" it has to be you because you constantly boasted about "i posted this three hours before Likwid!!1 I posted it first so Im gonna whine about how his thread should be deleted!!!! im gonna go suck a mods dick for them to listen to me!!!".

And you sound more retarded even after I posted why I got vet status/super mod but you don't seem to aknowlage that when everybody else did (Because you're an idiot). By the way you The Shinning over obsessive faggot, your thread was on the 2nd page when you posted in mine, so lol @ you trying to convince people it was under mine. k thanks bye try again.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Monret, Today, 03:26 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Monret
                              by Monret