X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tibet - Part of China. Dalai Lama Agrees

Tibet part of China, Dalai Lama agrees
    By Hamish McDonald, Herald Correspondent in Beijing

Tibet's exiled leader, the Dalai Lama, has abandoned his longstanding position calling for Tibetans to rule their homeland within the Chinese communist republic, declaring Tibet to be within the tradition of China.

The shift in his position has emerged in a series of media interviews and a statement last Thursday marking the anniversary of the failed uprising by Tibetans against Chinese occupation in 1959, when the Buddhist monk-leader went into exile in India.

The Dalai Lama, who turns 70 this year, appears to have accepted China's control over Tibet's political and economic affairs.

This is a distinct climbdown from the plan he has proposed up to now, first delivered in a speech at the European Parliament in Strasbourg in 1988, that Tibet should be a "self-governing democratic political entity" with Beijing responsible for its external defence and foreign affairs.

The Chinese Government has consistently dismissed the Dalai Lama's Strasbourg speech as "lacking sincerity" and a fitful dialogue between Beijing and the exiled Tibetan leadership has made little progress.

No response came immediately to his new ideas, expressed in an interview with Hong Kong's South China Morning Post.

"This is the message I wish to deliver to China. I am not in favour of separation," the Dalai Lama was quoted yesterday as saying. "Tibet is a part of the People's Republic of China. It is an autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. Tibetan culture and Buddhism are part of Chinese culture. Many young Chinese like Tibetan culture as a tradition of China."

He said Tibet was underdeveloped and materially backward. "So, for our own interest, we are willing to be part of the People's Republic of China, to have it govern and guarantee to preserve our Tibetan culture, spirituality and our environment.

"But we can contribute to the spiritual side ... China will turn to its 5000-year history of tradition, of which Tibet is a part."

The Dalai Lama's formal statement last Thursday was more critical of dissatisfaction inside Tibet, and more vague about his "middle way" political proposals, which he said were gaining wider support, including from "certain quarters of the intellectual circle from within China".

Unless it emerges that the report has seriously distorted the Dalai Lama's views, the changed policy will cause anguish among many younger Tibetan exiles and their foreign supporters. The Dalai Lama recognised this. "The Tibetan youth organisation criticises me as taking this approach out of desperation," he said. "No, it comes out of a broader interest."

But the deal he is proposing - a bargain between a Tibet needing economic development, and a China in search of spiritual guidance - is also unlikely to cut ice with China's President, Hu Jintao, a materialist who promotes a "harmonious society" under unchallenged Communist Party leadership, and who has not so far mentioned a need for religion.

Along with the Dalai Lama meeting, the South China Morning Post has also gained the first foreign interview with the boy China installed eight years ago as the current Panchen Lama, Tibet's second-ranking Buddhist figure, after whisking away the candidate recognised by the Dalai Lama and most Tibetans as the genuine reincarnation.

Unsurprisingly, the 14-year-old has a message for Tibetan exiles. "I wish Tibetan people here and living abroad to love their country and home town, and put their efforts into economic development to raise living standards and development in their homeland," he was quoted as saying.

Free Tibet!

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
      Free Tibet!

free sage

from your dorky avatar.

dork.

Comment

Man, I hope. God damn Atheist China.

Comment

Free Tibet!!!

The Dalai Lama is the shit.

He's so awesome. You guys ever see him in interviews? He's so bad.
          =W=
          My other aliases:
          On The Shelf
          Masai
          justp1ayin
          TheMan

Comment

He's a funny guy.

Comment

buddhism is as good as athiesm - neither do anything for you.

Comment

Have you ever tried any of Buddhism's teachings? Most are very similar to Christianity's, and I am pretty sure you're a Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestSwing
                  buddhism is as good as athiesm - neither do anything for you.
                  Wow, if we're gonna start making fun of religions, let's poke fun at Christianity, or Islam, or Judaism, or Hinduism.

What are you so I can poke accordingly?

I'm not an asshole, well, actually I am, but when it comes to religion, I HATE CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE.

I'm no scholar, but I've studied enough religions to know you have no right to make fun of any religion, regardless of what you are.

So, we can end this and you can explain yourself more, or you can say what religion you are and I can poke fun.

Trust me, I can make fun of any religion and I can respect any, so pick your poison.
                  =W=
                  My other aliases:
                  On The Shelf
                  Masai
                  justp1ayin
                  TheMan

Comment

i honestly didnt even think he was still alive

Comment

Originally posted by TheWestIsBack
                      Wow, if we're gonna start making fun of religions, let's poke fun at Christianity, or Islam, or Judaism, or Hinduism.

What are you so I can poke accordingly?

I'm not an asshole, well, actually I am, but when it comes to religion, I HATE CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE.

I'm no scholar, but I've studied enough religions to know you have no right to make fun of any religion, regardless of what you are.

So, we can end this and you can explain yourself more, or you can say what religion you are and I can poke fun.

Trust me, I can make fun of any religion and I can respect any, so pick your poison.
                      Go ahead and try, you'd accomplish nothing except for looking at a fool.

Kid, I've studied Buddhism for 3 years now, and you cannot tell me the basic beliefs are different then athiesm.( if you want to try me with Christianity, I've belonged to this faith for 20 years).

Let's look at what buddhism says : To be free of "personal" suffering, you have to take the "8-fold path". Not only does this dictate how you should live your life(goes against christianity's "free-will" concept, which proves they are disimiliar), it is only a "personal" way to end suffering. This does not end world suffering such as hunger,poverty, and disease. And also, by the time you accomplish "nirvana", you are almost dead. That's also the main problem: most people die before they reach nirvana. Not only does Buddhism have no central deities, it offers no key to salvation after-life. It denies reincarnation as well. This religion is not rewarding, because it is humanly possible to rid yourself of suffering around you, even if you rid it from your own personal self.

Lmao at you calling me close-minded. When you goto college in about 5 years and actually get educated, come back sometime and maybe we can have a debate.

Comment

nm you aren't worth the time, I just saw your avatar.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Monret, 04-16-2021, 07:38 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post WesleyDrake  
                        Started by Louiscuming, Today, 12:53 PM
                        6 responses