HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kanye Places Himself Amongst Music Legends (lol)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanye Places Himself Amongst Music Legends (lol)

Kanye West is certain his Late Registration will ace the sales test Friday. What he wants to know is whether it will stand the test of time.

The never-shy producer/rapper says his newest album is sonically superior to last year's Grammy-winning debut, The College Dropout, and destroys other classic albums.

"Music hasn't been taken this far in years - since Stevie (Wonder) did it. Since Prince did it," says West, 27, who enlisted Fiona Apple producer Jon Brion to help him go in a different direction.

"I'm not trying to compete with what's out there now. I'm really trying to compete with Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life. It sounds musically blasphemous to say something like that, but why not set that as your bar?" (Related story: West, hip-hop's writer in residence)

West has had a good year. He won three Grammys and delivered a show-stopping Jesus Walks on the awards program, and he has produced for three of 2005's most acclaimed albums - John Legend's Get Lifted, The Game's The Documentary and Common's Be. But the real question was what would he do for an encore to Dropout.

On Registration, he talks about everything from politics to partying, and guest artists include Maroon 5's Adam Levine, Jamie Foxx, Common, The Game, Brandy, Nas, Cam'Ron and Jay-Z.

His most daring move was bringing in multi-instrumentalist Brion, who had scored such movies as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Punch-Drunk Love. West, who came into prominence four years ago with Jay-Z's groundbreaking The Blueprint, was seeking a new plateau in production.

"Picture me, someone who likes cinematic-sounding stuff, having someone who actually scores movies to help produce the album," West says. "Tell me I ain't Great".

Brion says that although some might find their pairing odd, he and West shared a seriousness about making records and "a total obsession with lyrics." Brion's skill with orchestras and with such instruments as vibraphones and marimbas gave West a much broader spectrum of sounds to work with.

West showed a lot of courage, Brion says, by stepping out on an artistic ledge.

"If ever there was a time not to (mess) with the formula, this would be it," Brion says. "But he's fearless. A lot of people have a governor on themselves, usually peer pressure or fear of not being liked. This is a guy that is truly living by his tastes and his beliefs."

The result is "only the future of music itself," West says, laughing. "Only Dr. Dre could even fathom accomplishing something like this, and he does it in his own way."

West, who likens himself to the Philadelphia Eagles' brash Terrell Owens, makes no apologies for talking smack.

"Are you supposed to be humble?" he says. "Honestly. If you've got a whole crowd of people singing your song and you've got one critic saying this song is OK, well, you know you're right."

USA Today

lol... damn this dude is arragant.
    Aftermathmusic.com MySpace ! http://myspace.com/aftermathmusiccom
    You Must Go To : www.aftermathmusic.com www.aftermathmusic.info !!

It would be funny to see his album flop after reading that article.
    Soundclick.com/kilowattbeats
    Myspace.com/kilowattbeats

Comment

Did he get a rib removed? Cuz he sucks his own dick way too much... so cocky. But I'll still buy the album .
      Boston Celtics
      New England Patriots
      Boston Red Sox

Hi haters.

Comment

"Picture me, someone who likes cinematic-sounding stuff, having someone who actually scores movies to help produce the album," West says. "Tell me I ain't Great".

Your not great.
        Dollarpays

Comment

First of all.....Kanye is an aight producer...but sometimes I wanna bitchslap that cocky motherfucker, it's one being just cocky.....but Kanye is a major primadonna....

second of all, as much as I liked Collage Dropout..Late Registration SUCKS....there is like one or 2 above averae song on there...besides that....theres nothing...

My Top 5 Personal Favorite Rappers:

1. Slug (of Atmosphere)
          2. Eminem
          3. Brother Ali
          4. Ludacris
          5. The Streets (Mike Skinner)

Comment

lol... he's a good producer but damn. He's gotta produce two classic NWA albums, two classic Chronic albums, a classic debut from Snoop Dogg, a classic track like 'California Love', 'Keep Thier Heads Ringin' & 'Natural Born Killaz', bring out MC's like Snoop Dogg & Eminem, Executive produce an album like TMMLP, and Executive Produce a tour like Up In Smoke...before he can compare himself to music legends, haha.
            Aftermathmusic.com MySpace ! http://myspace.com/aftermathmusiccom
            You Must Go To : www.aftermathmusic.com www.aftermathmusic.info !!

Comment

good producer but anywhere near to dre no fuckin way

Comment

everytime he talks i start not to like him... Im just gonna listen to his music and not pay attention to any of his interviews
                New old song of mine Dedicated
                Dedicated

Comment

LOL Kanye needs to shut his arrogant ass up.

Still, College Dropout, Late Registration = two classics in a year and a half's time. Who else has done that? Pac and Eminem...I think that's it.
                  Originally posted by SteWonYou
                  sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
                  Originally posted by Temerity
                  understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
                  Originally posted by Nianco
                  Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

I would have to agree with him he is my favorite rapper of the new school and is easily the best role model of how a mogul should be. He is also the only rapper that knows how to present himself from the normal american side and not that of the lower class. It is refreshing to hear someone who raps and doesn't come from the slums. Dom't get me wrong I like rappers who came from the struggle of the streets but I didn't come from those so I find it great to find a rapper who has a normal upbringing. He deserves all the accoloades and I think he should stay arrogant because arrogance with being able to back it up = greatness. Just look at history as an idicator of that the greatest leaders were arrogant SOB's that could back it up.
                    Last edited by KINGB19; 08-22-2005, 04:37 PM.
                    Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Swizz2007
                      LOL Kanye needs to shut his arrogant ass up.

Still, College Dropout, Late Registration = two classics in a year and a half's time. Who else has done that? Pac and Eminem...I think that's it.
                      Kanye doesn't have a classic, Pac doesn't have 2, Em doesn't have 2...

Comment

Stoupe > Dre

Comment

He Is A Good Role Model But Also A Cocky Lil Fucker...lol
                          Originally posted by Stat Quo
                          yo that shit sounds like it can work...i fucks wit it...keep doin whatchu do...u gone be alright in this game
                          Originally posted by Hush
                          keep doing ya thang homie! Holla...
                          www.myspace.com/teknikalmusic

Comment

Originally posted by Freeze_24
                            Kanye doesn't have a classic, Pac doesn't have 2, Em doesn't have 2...
                            Pac: Me Against the World, All Eyez On Me, Makaveli

Em: It's arguable, I think his first 3 mainstream albums are all classics.
                            Originally posted by SteWonYou
                            sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
                            Originally posted by Temerity
                            understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
                            Originally posted by Nianco
                            Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

i hate kanye, his music is OK but not classic, i think he is an asshole for talking like he has put out 20 classic albums and he hasnt and he needs to shut up

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:22 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 08:42 AM