Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanye West says Late Reg. must sell 2.6 mill to break even

West treats crowd to 'Late Registration'
    Grammy winner looks outside of hip hop to create much anticipated sophomore album.
    By Adam Graham The Detroit News

Inside a nondescript office building in Troy Wednesday evening, music's hottest entity, Grammy-winning rapper-producer Kanye West, was on hand to unveil the year's most-anticipated album, West's sophomore effort "Late Registration."

"This album will change the game," the Chicago native confidently told a group of more than 40 industry professionals, DJs and journalists assembled to hear the record, the follow-up to last year's triple-platinum "The College Dropout."

"Brace yourself, I don't want anybody to get hurt," he said as he started into the album's first track, "Heard 'Em Say."

Immediately, it was clear people were feeling it, but no one was digging it more than West himself: He nodded his head throughout, mouthed the words to "Touch the Sky," raised his fist in the air during the pounding "Crack Music," formed a celebratory diamond sign with his hands during "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" and stood up and rapped along to the triumphant, genre-bending "We Major," which went over so well he decided to play it twice.

He even kept his cool when the sound system went dead during "Drive Slow."

The room burst into applause several times, but West repeatedly shushed them, so they wouldn't miss a moment of his work.

West, 27, recorded the album with producer Jon Brion, best known for his work with Fiona Apple (of whom West is a huge admiror) and his film scores ("Magnolia," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind").

In a Q&A session afterwards, West made it clear he looked outside of hip-hop for inspiration for "Late Registration," saying he and Brion spent hours in the studio listening to old Beatles and Jackson 5 records.

There are enough musical flourishes on "Late Registration" to make any audiophile's ears perk up, which is not surprising, considering West and Brion's influences: There's pipe organs on "We Belong," a 20-piece orchestra on "Gone," a harpsichord on "Diamonds" and a string section on "Hey Mama."

An impressive list of guests drops in on "Late Registration," including Jay-Z, Nas, Jamie Foxx and Patti Labelle. But there are two people West has never worked with, whom he says it's his dream to collaborate with in the future: Lauryn Hill and Eminem.

West said "Late Registration" cost $2 million to make and needs to sell 2.6 million copies to break even. He even lamented the security surrounding the album, which is under lock and key until its Aug. 30 release.

"I think downloading is the best thing ever. I'm like, 'When's my bootleg coming out?' " he said. "I want people to hear the music!"

But as cocky as he is -- "I would hate to not be me!" he bragged at one point, later adding he feels sorry for other people who aren't him -- he knows he has room to improve, and says he plans on taking poetry lessons to bone up on his lyric-writing skills before writing his next album, which is tentatively due next year.

Before that, he has plans to hit the road with a 20-piece orchestra. He says he's playing some dates with U2 later this year, and he's been talking to Coldplay's Chris Martin about hooking up on the road.

But currently, the focus is on "Late Registration."

"I wanted to make an album where there was no fast-forward material on it," he said, adding -- in typical West fashion -- he's confident he's made the album of the year, an "uncriticizable" achievement deserving of the top honor at next year's Grammy Awards.

But if he were to lose, "I'd be happy to lose to System of a Down," he said of the Armenian-American metal maniacs, whose "Mesmerize" was released in May.

"That's my favorite album of the year so far," he says.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/events/0...E06-285250.htm

hes a cocky sob...lol but makes great music...he will easily sell that 2.6

Comment

haha i feel him on that...if i was mainstream making good music that everybody can vibe to, i'd be cocky too...Late Registration is one of the best albums this year...Kanye's the truth...love his music definately one of my top 10.
      Originally Posted by FaB514
      You have to preserve the color of your skin or else everyone will be brown
      Eminem started sucking ass after 8 Mile. He can't rap worth shit now.

fabbeddockamam

Comment

"He even lamented the security surrounding the album, which is under lock and key until its Aug. 30 release. "

great security, the cd leaked like 2 weeks ago

Comment

He's right about one thing......'Mesmerize' has been the album of the year so far.....
          "There’s nothing to kill anymore, there’s nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation, this everyman is created."

Comment

Originally posted by lawn_korn47
            "He even lamented the security surrounding the album, which is under lock and key until its Aug. 30 release. "

great security, the cd leaked like 2 weeks ago
            Try four days, son.
            Originally posted by SteWonYou
            sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
            Originally posted by Temerity
            understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
            Originally posted by Nianco
            Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

"We Belong"? My version doesn't have that song. Does anyone else's?

Comment

he wont sell that much. this new album is horrible.
                J + HOMIE

My Most Anticipated album

DETOX

Comment

Originally posted by J +
                  he wont sell that much. this new album is horrible.
                  no its not...Bizarre's album was horrible...50 Cent's album was horrible (and it still almost sold as much as GRODT)..fuck almost every album this summer was horrible...Kanye's album saved Hip Hop from being completely whack.

fabbeddockamam

Comment

good observation on the "We Belong" track... mine doesn't have that either.. and did a full version of Bittersweet leak yet?
                    www.CentralDigit.com
                    I rap gooder than I speak. ^There's the website.

My other aliases:
                    OnTheShelf
                    =TWIB=
                    justp1ayin
                    The Man

Comment

Originally posted by Professor RT
                      no its not...Bizarre's album was horrible...50 Cent's album was horrible (and it still almost sold as much as GRODT)..fuck almost every album this summer was horrible...Kanye's album saved Hip Hop from being completely whack.

lol. wrong. i loved kanye's first album. i'm sick of his samples, he needs to get some real skill and make a beat from scratch. every album u said sucked, had superior production to kanye's new album. dont say you like it cause u think you have to. just say it, "it sucks."
                      J + HOMIE

My Most Anticipated album

DETOX

Comment

man i dont really understand how people are hating on this album, i think its becoming cliche to just hate on kanye just to hate on him, but its kewl everyone has their own feelings on music, me personally, lovin this album
                        Democracy is just a word when the people are starving- Immortal Technique

Comment

no this album when in a completely different direction I heard one "typical sample" and that wasn't even a full track and Kanye gave Common a couple of bars to spit on it. The rest of the album sounds like a mix of classical and movie scores it is sheer brilliance. Got to love the fact that Kanye is a fan of System of a Down that just shows how well he knows good music.
                          Last edited by KINGB19; 08-22-2005, 05:50 PM.
                          Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by J +
                            lol. wrong. i loved kanye's first album. i'm sick of his samples, he needs to get some real skill and make a beat from scratch. every album u said sucked, had superior production to kanye's new album. dont say you like it cause u think you have to. just say it, "it sucks."

Name one album released this year that has better productiton than Late Registration

and if you say 50 Cent or Hush, don't bother replying
                            HEADSHOTS; NIGGA FUCK YO VEST

www.***********.info

Comment

Originally posted by J +
                              lmao ur crazy...i liked Kanye's album (both of them) on the first listen...its just dope Hip Hop....Bizarre's album and 50's album did not have better production than Kanye...Kanye West production >>>>> Dre's production as of lately

And I can guarantee this..you can quote me on it....Late Registration will end up being better than Detox...I can guarantee it.

fabbeddockamam

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ketoslim5, Today, 07:57 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ketoslim5