• Kanye West - Late Registration Review @ RapSearch.com

http://www.rapsearch.com/news/index.php?itemid=507

Artist: Kanye West
    Title: Late Registration
    Reviewer: Ryan
    Site: KanyeWest.com
    Buy: Buy Here
    Rating: 5 outta 5
    While being the most arrogant, most cocky, most confident, and just simply the best. Whatever your opinion of Kanye, or himself, one thing is that College Dropout was a critical, and sales success. Being the first artist other than Jay-Z to sell more than 400,000 in the first week under Roc-A-Fella Records. Kanye on "Late Registration" takes listener's at first listen to many more areas of music, not just Hip-Hop this time. Still with soul samples, Kanye works other instruments and elements of music into his music, and does it right.

Starting with a skit of Bernie Mac talking to Kanye, and dissing him by calling a "4th grader" for caring the "book bag." "Heard 'Em Say" featuring Adam Levine of Maroon 5(yes his 2nd feature singing on a Hip-Hop record this year), is a smooth piano looped track. With lines like, "Can I at least get a raise on the minium wage/And I know the government administered AIDS." While Kanye covers issues a lot of "big" artist won't, his rhymes are refreshing to the mainstream hears on "Heard 'Em Say." "Touch the Sky" featuring Lupe Fiasco is got the feeling of Encore of Jay-Z's "The Black Album." "Gold Digger," the second single featuring Jamie Foxx, is got the old-school feel with the Kanye-style drums hitting hard.
    Have caught on what Late Registration's feel is....no...well it's the features. A short skit, something College Dropout didn't have, and then you have "Drive Slow" featuring Paul Wall and GLC. With a real cool feel with Kanye doing the hook and Paul Wall giving a real nice verse 2nd, "Drive Slow," is a banger with exception to GLC's subpar verse. Next up, "My Way Home" featuring Common, make that, Kanye beat, Common solo. Common kills it lyrically while Kanye gives you another banger that could have been on "Be." "Crack Music" featuring The Game, is a hard driven beat, and hard rhymes. Kanye spitting some more socially not accepted lines, with reference to the government cooking up crack to the blacks. While "Crack Music" bangs, The Game's feature is senseless and worthless.

"Roses" the first track without a feature is all Kanye. Kanye spitting, "You know the best medicine go to people that's paid/If Magic Johnson got a cure for AID's/And all the broke mothafuckas past away/You tellin' me if my grandma in the NBA/Right now she be ok?/.....My grandfather try to pull it together, he stronger/It's where I get my confidence from/." While "Roses" has some good lyrical usage of Kanye, the beat isn't so called Hip-Hop. No drums are on during the verses, just he hooks, the sound is different at first. "Bring Me Down" featuring Brady is a serious banger. With Brady giving the singing on the hook, Kanye spit's just one verse, Brady has long hooks. "Addiction" has a voice sample, but not sped up. The drums got the Kanye clap, and is up-tempo, but Kanye raps it at a mid-tempo speed. The feel of "Addiction" really get's you feel what Kanye's spitting.

"Diamonds From Sierra Leone(remix)" featuring Hova himself Jay-Z is the official track for Late Registration. With Kanye hitting the track hard, making the sample feel real nice with the track. While the original "Diamonds" track was more about the Roc-A-Fella diamond, the remix is Kanye spitting about the orgin of diamonds themselves. Jay-Z spit's about his home The Roc, and how The Roc and himself aren't going no where. Jay also tells he hasn't lost a step, "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." "We Major" featuring Nas, and Really Doe is a soulful beat, with a hard snare. While the snare is noticable right away, it's follows in the rest of the way and feels right. The length of the track is noticable though. At seven and half minutes, "We Major" is long by "Hip-Hop" standards. With very few artists doing long songs, the length may turn you away at first, it can be refreshing. After five minutes though, Kanye just talks, and is just stretching the track.

"Hey Mama" the original rumored first single has that feeling that 99% can relate. Kanye talking to his mama, and telling us about how close her and him are. While the original "Hey Mama" track just had the "La, la, la, Hey Mama," sample, Kanye added some extra keys and bass to boost the track. "Celebration" is Kanye enjoying his success. With a soul sample pushing the track, and Kanye's drums, "Celebration" is a cool laid back track. "Gone" featuring Cam'ron and Consequence is a hot track. Kanye first, and then a stellar verse from smooth-flowing all the time Killa Kam. Consequence keeps up, while Kanye finishes the song perfectly. "Diamonds" considered a bonus track, is the song. With Kanye spitting 40 bars consective(2nd and 3rd verse are together), Kanye is taking chances and trying to change the game, something that would seem that has left Hip-Hop lately. The last track, "Late," soul sample, sped up voice with some straight drums finishes up a very star-studded "Late Registration."

Over the course of "Late Registration" you can tell Kanye got all the people he featured with, or did a beat for since "College Dropout." After listening to "Late Registration all the way through, you really want to hear Kanye spit more rhymes. You feel short change, but actually what you probaly haven't found out is Kanye just gave you one of the best music CD's of the year. While taking chances to new areas for a Hip-Hop artist, Kanye proved that it's possible. It's possible to make hot music, that may not be exactly what Rap or Hip-Hop, but what really matters is good music. Hip-Hop is just rapping over 4 bar looped beats, it's something more, and refreshingly, Kanye West is a large breathe of fresh air that's needed in today's day of oversaturated played out garbage.
    Oh Shit FREE
    Recovery on Amazon
    I'm On Twitter

HEADSHOTS; NIGGA FUCK YO VEST

www.***********.info

Comment

i still havnt heard it yet, cant wait to pik it up in stores on sunday....

Comment

Comes out Friday buddy

www.***********.info

Comment

That 'Gone' track is very very good... I can listen to it 1000 times in a row...
          (hammersmi YoungW

Comment

kanye west >>> hip hop

Comment

good review
              Truth Himself Facebook

www.facebook.com/truthhimself

Comment

Originally posted by ruff
                Comes out Friday buddy
                did it get pushed up?
                Truth Himself Facebook

Comment

Yeah

www.***********.info

Comment

Originally posted by ruff
                    Yeah
                    oh aight where'd u hear that
                    Truth Himself Facebook

Comment

i really like hey mama and drive slow
                      BROOKLYN

Comment

good review
                        My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
                        How Do You Listen To Music?

Comment

yeah hope its as good as it sounds
                          R.I.P. Proof
                          1973-2006

Comment

Late Registration Best Album of 05'.

About An Angel & Bittersweet not even included tho! Oh well looks like Graduation next year will be another classic! Kanye has proved himself now without a doubt.
                            Chuck Norris pointed his finger to a plane in the sky and said "bang" the plane exploded and fell out the sky.

Comment

does it come out on friday in the u.s. or the u.k. cause i know we have different dates for releases

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by oneshotc0, Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oneshotc0  
                              Started by oneshotc0, Yesterday, 10:01 AM
                              0 responses