No announcement yet.

Mixtape Monday: Luke Challenges Snoop; Cam'ron Leaves Mixtapes To The Grandmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixtape Monday: Luke Challenges Snoop; Cam'ron Leaves Mixtapes To The Grandmas

from mtv.com:

Artist: DJ Khaled

Representing: Miami

Mixtape: There isn't one. We're putting our traditional mixtape feature on ice this week for something a little different.

The 411: If you've been reading Mixtape Monday the past couple of years, you should know who DJ Khaled is. If you don't, just lissssssstennnnnn! He's one of the top-ranked spinners in the South and is especially grande in the town he's set up shop in now: Miami. During VMA weekend, Khaled was spinning at some of the big parties and doing what he does best: introducing new records to a crowd that isn't familiar with the future hits. Here, Khaled tells us about some of the records everyone partying in Miami is now up on.

Joints To Check For:
    "Naomi" by Dre of Cool & Dre. "This is Dre's very first single, and it's produced by Cool & Dre of course. It's a real sexy look. It's dope because it doesn't sound like anything that's out. It's great because he's representing Miami. This record has a lot of hype out here. The ladies love it. The chorus goes, 'Walk it like a chick named Yomi' and it's gonna have Naomi Campbell in the video."

"Chickens on My Tip" by Dela. "The dirty version is called 'Bitches on My Di--,' " Khaled said. "It's real 'hood. It's a ride-out beat. It's coming off this label called Strictly Business out of Miami. It's a Spanish dude, rapping. I was in the studio and he was playing music in there and I heard that song. I said, 'Let me get that. Let me do what I need to do to make that a smash.' It's a Southern anthem."

"Conceited" by Remy Ma. "Scott Storch did the beat. Her flow is real different, sh-- is crazy. It's a real catchy record. It's sexy and cocky. She's ripping it down like she always does. I think it's gonna be her biggest radio record ever. When I say 'radio,' she's still going to get a lot of play but still have credibility in the club and streets but reach an audience that doesn't know Remy."

Don't Sleep: Other Notable Selections This Week
    All Access DVD - "Street Credibility Vol. 4"
    Big Mike & DJ Keyz - Collabo Edition Pt. 18 (Beanie Sigel)
    DJ B-Lord's Down South Dope
    DJ Buddha's Caribbean Connection Vol. 4
    Cutmaster C's Hood News: Mase Edition
    DJ Muggs and DJ Warrior's Mash-Up Radio Vol. 2
    P. Cutta's Street Wars 13.5
    Wiz Hoffa & Mz Hoffa's Mr. & Mrs. Hov

'Hood's Heavy Rotation: Bubbling Below The Radar

AZ - "The Come Up"
    Sheek Louch featuring Jadakiss, Beanie Sigel and Fabolous - "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye" remix
    Juvenile - "What's Happenin"
    Newz featuring Ja Rule - "I'm Ready"
    Ol' Dirty Bastard featuring Busta Rhymes - "Where's Your Money"
    Kanye West - "Crack Music"
    Kanye West, Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, Rhymest - "We Can Make It Better"
    Tony Yayo featuring Jagged Edge - "Project Princess"

Celebrity Favs

Luther Campbell loves competition, whether it was battling other DJs back in the day to see who could make the most noise with Miami bass, or today on the field, coaching his team of youth football players. Uncle Luke says he's itching to lead his crew of youngsters into a hip-hop Super Bowl against Snoop Dogg's squad of adolescents or any other rap-world coach with a team. "That's something that I really want to happen next year," Luke said at his home in Miami. "It's just so much red tape with a lot of these guys. I'm not sure if these guys are [coaching] for a Hollywood stunt or they are really in it. Because if they're really in it, we can put it on. We have venues here. We can have the teams. We'll have a battle of the bands and put on concerts during the game. I think it could be a good thing. Have MTV or someone put it on and show the game in its entirety. And then we'll have the afterparty."

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground

On Thursday in Brooklyn, New York, Killa Cam was putting down the pen he uses to sign all those million-dollar deals and picking up a gun for a good old-fashioned exchange of bullets, Val Kilmer style.

"We're doing an eight-minute shootout scene similar to 'Heat,' " Cam'ron explained on the set of his movie "Killa Season," which he's starring in and wrote. (Click here for photos.)

The movie won't come out until next year, about two months after his Killa Season LP hits stores in the first quarter. But in a few weeks, Cam said, he'll drop a mix DVD that encompasses videos for five or six of the records off his album and some clips from the movie.

"Everybody does mixtapes, but I'm going the video level," he explained. "The [mixtape] market got so flooded. You walk outside and a n---a's grandmother got a mixtape out like Nana's Mixtape. It's not even no more fun, you have to take it to the next level. I think this will be a good way, but [I] also may have wanted to shoot a video for it, but the song may have been too hard for an MTV or VH1 or BET programming because of the drug content or gun content. This is a good outlet. It's going to be a little more extreme."

Cam described his "Killa Season" mix DVD as a "gangsta musical." "It's more or less like what R. Kelly did, but it's not to one song, it's five or six different songs and it's not even going to be built for TV."

"Killa Season" the movie, as the king of Harlem tells it, is in the vein of "Menace II Society" or "Boys N the Hood" but takes place on the East Coast. Cam will star with a bunch of young actors he has under his wing. He said he hopes to have a full roster of thespians singed to his entertainment company just like he has rappers signed to his Diplomat Records.

Two musical artists he's eyeing right now are the Young Bloodz's Sean Paul and Mystikal.

"I been talking to L.A. Reid for Dip Set/ Def Jam South," Cam expounded. "Right now I'm talking to Sean Paul from the Young Bloodz, which may be our [next] artist if we get the paperwork right. I been talking to Mystikal the past two or three months. He goes up for parole in November. So I'm talking with Jive to get a Dip Set deal over there with Mystikal. But it's all in the works."

Cam has about 16 songs he's satisfied with for his new album and plans to record close to possibly 20 more before he wraps up.

It's been so long, people may forget that Trick Daddy actually got his start in music alongside Luke on the record "Scarred." Trick hasn't forgotten his roots at all. In fact, he's going back to his Miami bass foundation on a new album he has in the works.

"Well, my last album, Thug Matrimony, to be honest, I think it's kind of pretty," Trick said recently in his hometown. "Though I got a lot of different fans, I got a lot of different markets, I think it was kind of pretty. But this new album, now I'm going back to ... doing bass music. Me and Luda redid 'Throw That Deep' by Luke. Me and Jacki-O we did 'Move Something.' "

Another person Trick Daddy Dollars is hoping to collaborate with is Jay-Z.

"Pac is dead, Biggie is dead," he began to explain. "They trying to lock a lot of us up, eliminate a lot of us. But if I don't do a record with Jay-Z, I don't think I was ever successful in this, because he's the next big thing. He's the man now. I don't think nobody's made more money actually being a rapper than Jay-Z has made. If I don't do a record with Jay-Z, then I ain't nothing. All this was a waste."

There is no word yet on the title of Trick's LP or when it will be released.

also be on the lookout for:
    DJ Whoo Kidd - G-Unit Radio pt. 13

Comment

^ yeh...lol at luke

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Bynarden, Today, 05:09 PM
      0 responses