President Bush Just Now Returning From Vacation After Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Bush Just Now Returning From Vacation After Hurricane

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) -President George W. Bush will cut short a month-long vacation at his Texas ranch to return to Washington on Wednesday to help oversee a massive recovery effort from Hurricane Katrina, the White House said.

"Right now, our priority is on saving lives, and we are still in the midst of search-and-rescue operations," Bush said before addressing Navy sailors, Marines and veterans in San Diego.

"The federal, state and local governments are working side by side to do all we can to help people get back on their feet, and we have got a lot of work to do," he added.

Bush had been scheduled to return to Washington on Friday, but White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the president decided to return earlier because of the hurricane. Hundreds are feared dead in Mississippi as a result of the storm, and floodwaters have poured into low-lying New Orleans.

"The president's preference is to manage the response efforts from Washington," McClellan said.

In Washington, U.S. officials launched what they called "one of the largest disaster-response mobilizations in United States history." Hundreds of government trucks, Coast Guard aircraft and search and rescue teams were dispatched to the four worst hit states -- Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida.

Once back in Washington, McClellan said, Bush would lead an interagency conference call in the afternoon. He was expected to visit the devastated region later in the week.

Bush already has approved disaster declarations for all or parts of the four states to help them get government aid. Risk analysts estimated the storm, which struck on Monday, would cost insurers $26 billion, the most in U.S. history.

At the Defense Department, spokesman Bryan Whitman said a total of 7,503 Army and Air Force National Guard troops had been ordered to duty by governors in their home states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida to provide aid ranging from law enforcement and debris removal to medical care, power generators, ice and water.

Whitman said the Army Corps of Engineers and other active-duty military units were also prepared to provide any help requested by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and that cooperation was being coordinated through the U.S. military's Northern Command in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"Logistics and assessment teams are out and deployed in all four states and doing response planning in all of those areas," Whitman added.

While thousands of National Guard members from the four states are currently serving on active military duty in Iraq and elsewhere, Whitman said he saw no evidence that the governors did not have enough National Guard troops to provide adequate help.

"The numbers would suggest otherwise," he said, adding that a total of 31,740 National Guard troops were available for duty in the four states.

The Department of Homeland Security said the hurricane had proved to be "one of the most dangerous storms in U.S. history" and urged citizens to follow rescuers' instructions. It said it had deployed 23 disaster medical-assistance teams, 40 Coast Guard aircraft, 30 boats, 390 trucks to deliver supplies and dozens of trained relief and public-service workers.

Bush said, "This is a trying time for the people of these communities. We know that many are anxious to return to their homes. It's not possible at this moment."

Source: news.yahoo.com

One of the worst natural disasters in America's history, hundreds of casualties and this mother-fucker is on vacation?!?! Fuck Bush.
    Last edited by moemurda; 08-30-2005, 02:25 PM.
    Eminem, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Red Sox, & MoeMurda

Originally posted by TtodaA
    lol at moemuda's epic return including posting pics and mentioning Swizz
    Originally posted by The Happy Chemical
    this thread is legendary

yep that dumbfuck is here in daygo
    "Aiyyo God, here I come, tell 2Pac to wait up"
    ----Proof-----

Comment

lol .. wow .. how gracious of him
      Da 'Cuse is in da house!!!!!!!

Comment

fuck him
        -GiNa :]

Comment

do you expect the president NOT to have a vacation?
          99% of this forum is filled with morons.

Comment

I made a thread about Bush and his vacations in the debate/politics forum, don't know why I put it there.

Comment

he was just out here in dago yesterday...don't know if he's still here though

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
                I made a thread about Bush and his vacations in the debate/politics forum, don't know why I put it there.
                This is news not a debate, I wanted to make sure that everyone would be able to see how great our leader is.
                Eminem, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Red Sox, & MoeMurda

Originally posted by TtodaA
                lol at moemuda's epic return including posting pics and mentioning Swizz
                Originally posted by The Happy Chemical
                this thread is legendary

Comment

I don't like him much but I don't think there was much he could have done anyway.

Comment

I wish he would choke on another piece of pretzel...
                    I'm an angel.. Honest
                    The horns are just there to keep the halo straight

Comment

Good.

He was on a vacation, he came back when the hurricane hit. I don't see why all of you are bitching.
                      I <3 JMart.
                      "The Craig Machine"
                      ^Buy it.

-Justine
                      Props to Kali for the avatar. RIP Proof.

Comment

someone bad repped me

"let me guess your white and rich.......hmmm... are you a republican?? do you have any family members in the military? no? oh ok i get it. asswipe=bluemnm01"

Ok, so me saying "so he isnt allowed to go on vacation" you assume

a. im white
                        b. im rich
                        c.im republican

well, i am white, i earned every penny i have and i dont vote.

but what does ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HIM GOING ON VACATION?!!?!??!

you need to go ahead and kill yourself for being fucking ignorant.. again my sig proves this forum is filled with fucking morons.
                        99% of this forum is filled with morons.

Comment

Damn I feel bad for Bush with all the shit he's had to go through during his 2 terms. The war in Iraq, 9/11 and now this. He's actually went through a lot of shit but yet nobody gives him any respect.
                          Originally posted by Ifbbita
                          as for this thread, I was thinking about buying a 500 Smith and Wesson Magnum. With hollow tip rounds, you can blast a hole through Jesus...
                          Fucking Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Styl3s
                            someone bad repped me

"let me guess your white and rich.......hmmm... are you a republican?? do you have any family members in the military? no? oh ok i get it. asswipe=bluemnm01"

Ok, so me saying "so he isnt allowed to go on vacation" you assume

a. im white
                            b. im rich
                            c.im republican

well, i am white, i earned every penny i have and i dont vote.

but what does ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HIM GOING ON VACATION?!!?!??!

you need to go ahead and kill yourself for being fucking ignorant.. again my sig proves this forum is filled with fucking morons.
                            Holy fucking shit, I get the exact same shit by morons: anonymous bad reps when I clear up facts.

It's funny the people actually think the president is some kind of superhero that can instantly teleport somewhere and fix things.

But, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have to realize most of this board are teenagers who gain their political beliefs through music like Eminem, Jadakiss, Immortal Technique, etc.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                            I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

Comment

Damn these San Diego beaches...lol 2;-{}2
                              Add 3,000 post to my stats Kain has been posting here since early 2003.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Steve--O, 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
                              52 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post OlmanGrand  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:52 AM
                              0 responses