Kazaa clamped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kazaa clamped

AN Australian court has ruled that users of the popular internet file-sharing network Kazaa were breaching copyright, and ordered its owners to modify the software to prevent online music piracy.

Federal Court Judge Murray Wilcox ruled that Kazaa's Australian owner and developer, Sharman Networks, had not itself breached copyright but had encouraged millions of Kazaa users worldwide to do so.
    "The respondents have long known that the Kazaa system is widely used for the sharing of copyright files," said Wilcox in his ruling in a Sydney court.

The decision follows a similar judgment in June in which the US Supreme Court ruled that file-sharing networks such as Grokster can be held liable if their intent is to promote copyright infringement of music or movies.

"The message is very clear for P2P services: It's time to go legal," said John Malcolm, chief executive of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). "Today's judgment shows that Kazaa - one of the biggest engines of copyright theft and the biggest brand name in music piracy worldwide - is illegal."

Peer-to-peer (P2P) networks distribute data between users instead of relying on a central server.

Sharman Networks said it was disappointed with the judge's decision, and that it planned to appeal.
    The consequences of the Kazaa ruling on illicit file-sharing are uncertain. Previous legal crackdowns on P2P services have usually only served to send users to other networks.

"Inevitably, when you have successes it drives people elsewhere," IFPI boss Malcolm said. "We know we're never going to completely eradicate this kind of piracy, but the progress has been remarkable."

VICTORY FOR MUSIC INDUSTRY

Australian record companies - including units of Universal Music, Sony BMG, EMI Group, Warner Music, and several independents - will now seek damages for hundreds of millions of illicit music downloads at a later hearing.

"The court has ruled the current Kazaa system illegal," Michael Speck, a spokesman for the Australian music industry, told reporters outside the court. "It is a great day for artists, it is a great day for anyone who wants to make a living from music."

Sharman Networks had defended the use of the internet to download music tracks, telling the court that file sharing represented a revolution in the way music was distributed and sold.

It said it could not control the actions of an estimated 100 million worldwide users.

Judge Wilcox said Kazaa failed to use available technology such as key word filters to prevent copyright infringement because it would have been against its financial interest.

He said that Kazaa's "Join the Revolution" website campaign did not directly advocate sharing copyright files, but criticised record companies for opposing file sharing.

"It seems that Kazaa users are predominately young people, the effect of this web page would be to encourage visitors to think it 'cool' to defy the record companies by ignoring constraints," Wilcox said.

Wilcox ordered Sharman Networks to modify the Kazaa software with filters to protect copyright.

"If Kazaa cleans up its act and does what the court has ordered it to do, stop its illegal business, then they have an opportunity to be part of the music industry," said music industry spokesman Speck.

A growing number of legal online music services such as Apple's iTunes, Napster, and RealNetworks' Rhapsody have grown in popularity over the past year. And a new generation of P2P services like Mashboxx are hoping to hoping to offer the advantages of file-sharing without infringing on copyright.

http://www.entertainment.news.com.au....html?from=rss
    When a man's heart is full of deceit, it burns up and dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul. From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse. A wrong that must be righted

oh well, i stopped using kazza awhile ago. The courts will always be 10 steps behind. But i do agree that you should go out and buy a cd if you like what you hear, if the cd is a one track hit then why the fuck would anyone waste money on it, quality music deserves my money
    If I can kick drugs, I can deliver a baby

Charlie RIP
    LOST

Comment

damn ive been wonderin y my kazaa hasnt been workin for the past month or so. it wouldnt pop up or anythin. o well gotta find a new site props on the info
      Quick witted, for every lyric spitted there are 6 critics
      Who wait for me to slip with it - eminem

Comment

good news

Comment

Originally posted by say wat u say
          damn ive been wonderin y my kazaa hasnt been workin for the past month or so. it wouldnt pop up or anythin. o well gotta find a new site props on the info
          it's probably just your computer...mine's working fine...
          One Be Lo / Discography
          Proof Discography
          Bugz
          VISHISS

Comment

Good riddance. I'm still trying to get rid of all the damn adware I got downloaded onto my computer cuz of that shitty program.
            Originally posted by dErTy kEvin
            Man if I ever saw you in person.....geez
            [email protected] internet thug piece of trash.

Comment

I stopped using kazza like a year and a half ago. It sucks mega donkey dick. Lime Wire and Torrents all the way baby.
              LOL @ You

Comment

Originally posted by Depth
                oh well, i stopped using kazza awhile ago. The courts will always be 10 steps behind. But i do agree that you should go out and buy a cd if you like what you hear, if the cd is a one track hit then why the fuck would anyone waste money on it, quality music deserves my money
                i agree cus whats the point of buying an album when ur only gunna listen to a song or to..i will buy the cd if most tracks are worth the money

Comment

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml
                  My other aliases:
                  justp1ayin
                  West
                  Masai
                  On The Shelf

Originally posted by Nasen
                  i seeth for a minute
                  Originally posted by Derty JaSoN
                  i have no clue who was de-re whatever

Comment

Originally posted by kelsi'dean
                    I stopped using kazza like a year and a half ago. It sucks mega donkey dick.
                    ^ agreed
                    Starring at the world through my rearview

Comment

People who use Kazaa don't deserve a computer. They are practically ruining their PC by running that shit program.
                      "Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile."
                      - Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Originally posted by kelsi'dean
                        I stopped using kazza like a year and a half ago. It sucks mega donkey dick. Lime Wire and Torrents all the way baby.
                        Thats whats up

Comment

Originally posted by Dublo7
                          People who use Kazaa don't deserve a computer. They are practically ruining their PC by running that shit program.
                          ^ Lol I don't use any of these music downloading programs. I'm too afraid of catching a virus or something.
                          Minnesota Vikings needs in the offseason

- QB

- Re-sign Sidney Rice

- Defensive Backs

Comment

Ares is the best right now ...

Comment

People were getting busted for using KAZAA so I quit using it and started using WinMX

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ultraketoxusa, 11-30-2020, 12:16 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post noahharry  
                              Started by sharklea3, Yesterday, 11:37 PM
                              0 responses