Interview with Young City AKA Chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Young City AKA Chopper

Since Diddy dismantled Da Band, you haven't heard much from the energetic young rapper from New Orleans, Young City aka Chopper. But rest assured he's still around, hustling and doing his thing.

After "Making The Band," Young City was the first artist to sign with Bad Boy South and is currently in the process of preparing his debut album, which he revealed to BallerStatus as being named New Jack City.

This interview was conducted just weeks before the unfortunate Hurricane Katrina tragedy. We have learned that Young City, along with many other New Orleans' residents have lost their homes, and we wish them the best of luck and hopefully can keep their heads up through the whole ordeal.

But as you read on, you can see that this young emcee has a lot going on, and hopefully this recent tragedy doesn't slow his momentum too much, as he prepares to re-introduce himself back to the world as the solo artist he has always wanted to be seen as.

BallerStatus.net: Can you tell me a little about your earlier achievements? Basically before Da Band, the stardom and the world got to see you.

Young City: Honestly, I've been hustling. I was in the streets doing my thing and in the neighborhood rapping. I was getting a lot of recognition from that, mainly from the Cash Money fellas.

BallerStatus.net: You now have two videos shot and in circulation now. Tell me about them both. How were the shoots?

Young City: They're both for the song "Lil Daddy." The first is with me solo and the other is with Lil' Wayne, Jody Breeze and myself. Everything was excellent, immaculate (laughs).

BallerStatus.net: If there was one part of making the video that you found particularly difficult?

Young City: Honestly, I'm a natural with it, cuz. I can't even tell you any difficult parts. All I can say is that I did two videos in one day and the "Lil' Daddy" single is so hot. It's just so crazy. At the end of the day, I had cramps all over my body. You know, I never let them see me sweat, feel me?

BallerStatus.net: Has your album been titled yet? When's the release date?

Young City: Mmmm Hmmm, [it's called] New Jack City! The release date is sometime late this year. It's called that because I am the new jack in this game and my name is City. I got something to prove, ya feel me? Real talk.

BallerStatus.net: Tell me about the album, producers/guest appearances.

Young City: I got DJ Toomp, he did "U Don't Know Me" by T.I. I got Mannie Fresh. I got Diddy and them, of course. The Hit Makers and the Hit Men. I got Track Starz, Track Boyz. I got Chingy, got T.I, got Lil' Wayne. I did over a hundred songs, but we're going to release a minimum of 21.

BallerStatus.net: Damn, with all of that -- not withstanding the skits and fillers -- you can make that a double album.

Young City: (laughs) Not really, just a point to prove.

BallerStatus.net: Coming from New Orleans, how did you hear about the audition for "Making The Band?" What did you think once you were chosen, and how has your life changed?

Young City: Honestly, I did not know about no band. I was scraping up money hustling. I was catching Greyhounds going to different cities, trying to get record deals by myself. Sometimes I didn't have any money. I was acting like I was a runaway kid, trying to get that pardon (free pass). I'm a teen now, at that time I was really, really young. At that time, I met a guy named Jay Jackson and he took me under his wing. He took me to Baltimore and began teaching me how to become a man at the same time. I was writing, doing my thing -- getting frustrated at times. I was a quitter. I went back to New Orleans, said "F--k rap. F--k this. F--k that." I was not being patient, knowing that it could be a weapon and a virtue. I went home, seen a lot of my homies get killed in the process. A lot of them get locked up -- I didn't want to do that, did not want to be in that world. I was so caught up, a product of my environment. I couldn't play basketball, even though I was good at it. I did not want to go that route, you could get injured.

I did not have a high school education. I did not have too many ways of getting out, besides going to somebody's house or doing what I could do. [Jay] ended up calling me and like I said, he was teaching me how to become a man at the same time. I was hearing what he's saying; hearing what someone is saying and listening is two different things. I was 14 or 15 years old. Time came and I went back to Baltimore. It's hard to trust muthaf--kas. I ended up trusting him to the fullest. I don't have no daddy; I'm my daddy. I take care of me. I trusted him like my dad; put all of my trust in him. I trusted, I watched and soaked up so much. I went back down to New Orleans, [and] I was different this time. Luke holla'd at me, but I did not want to get down with Luke. He's the "shake yo ass" man. I was taking my career seriously. No offense to my dawg Luke, that's my peoples. I wanted to be down with the Cash Money's and things like that. When I thought again, I said that I want to get down with a label from New Orleans and the South and get down with a label from the East Coast. If I'm from the South and get down with an East Coast label, I'd be phenomenal. Instead of being down with a South label and being a statistic -- that was my goal.

Jay called me one day and said that there is this thing up here, an audition. I asked him for what, he said a record deal. I knew right there that ni--as couldn't f--k with me in rhyming. -- I had that attitude. I did not want to do it though, I procrastinated. They had it in Baltimore for like 2 or 3 days. He brought me up top and the last day I finally got out there. I got in the line, I didn't want to -- he made me! He said don't turn anything down but your collar. I trusted him, I told him that if this does not go right, don't expect me to ever believe anything you say. He said "Trust me. All I ask you to do is trust me, you gotta trust somebody." When people looked at me, they could already tell that I had something. When I made it to the front and went in, it was made ever since. The thing with "Making The Band," you have to be 18 or older. I didn't tell them my name or age, just got on stage and rapped. When they found out how old I was, we had to make changes, ya feel me? That's how it went down. It was not a career thing for me, more like a boot camp/college. This is the real deal. Now it's graduation!

BallerStatus.net: Now you got this mixtape bubbling and I hear about this pork skin business that you have. How hard is it for you to continue moving forward and not get pulled to the left or right, speaking about the other ventures? Tell me about the pitfalls and how you're handling avoiding them.

Young City: Ah man, yeah...I sold about 216,000 [pork skins] the first day. That's me, I'm Young City! I love working under pressure. That's how I succeed, that's how I work. I love being busy, hate being home. I hate it when I am home. I love working. This is my job; it's how I do it. It's my livelihood; I love getting paid for what I do. I love working overtime, love being on the phone and love being in front of the camera. Honestly, when it comes down to it, if you didn't f--k with me then, you can't f--k with me now. I can't say that people aren't going to envy you -- sh--, your own damn mama will be jealous of you. You got to expect that. At first, you have to feed everyone with a long spoon. My mom and I had a bad relationship at first, but everything is all gravy now. We've been through a lot. No matter what, your mama is your mama and you only get one of those. My daddy, he's a crackhead! F--k that punk! He was never really around anyway. I love him though, for bringing me into the world. We from the streets, you know how that go. Ni--as is gonna envy you. I feel like this, you can say what you want behind my back, but you're not going to say it to my face like a man! Anytime you see somebody make an error, big or small, you got to fall back.

BallerStatus.net: I'm sure that you've been to lots of places and met lots of influential people in hip-hop. I know that you mentioned Jay (his manager) as someone that you accepted guidance from and put your trust in. Can you name someone else, not including Puff that may have come to you on the humble and hit you with some words of encouragement or advice?

Young City: Honestly, I'm going to tell you just like this: you want me to keep it real with you, right? GOD, period! Nobody else but Jay Jackson. I don't give a f--k about any record label, record deal or money! Loyalty is everything to me. That's one dude that saved my life. I've done been shot, cuz. I went through the sh--, man. I'm real to the bone and I'm not even out here trying to act hard. I gets money, I grind. He's the only one. All I got is Jay and my mama. I'm Chopper/Young City -- the prince of the south. You'll be able to tell, once I give you this album.

BallerStatus.net: A lot of people, not from the south, weren't really exposed to the New Orleans rap scene from the beginning anyway. Personally, I can say that I got my first taste when I would buy these hip-hop publications and see these colorful ads plastered all over the pages -- mostly from No Limit and Cash Money. I think that for the most part, we got to listen to the music when Juve dropped. He came out and was aggressive with his. Others came out and were flashy, but not as lyrical. Where do you fall and what would make the 2 million plus people that supported Da Band's album go out and show you equal love?

Young City: I'm Chopper/Young City first and foremost. I got this mixtape out, check it out. You'll see that I'm not bullsh--in.' I'm not going to sit up here in this interview and give you any type of fake sh--. Homie, I'm Young f--kin' City. That band sh--, yeah it was cool -- they sugarcoated a lot of things man. I guess that goes for everything. The first time around they give you a f--k you contract. The 2nd time, your stupid ass should know better. In New Orleans, ask Wayne, ask Baby, they'll tell you. I'm that ni--a, period! The only person that I take my hat off to is Weezy. Besides him, I'm that ni--a! That's in New Orleans, that's for the South, period! I'm going to show the world that I'm the real deal. Puff submitted, Kevin Liles submitted, Lyor Cohen submitted, Bad Boy submitted, Warner Brothers submitted, and the whole world is going to submit. I'm lyrical! I'm that ni--a. I can prove it to you, if you don't believe me!

BallerStatus.net: What's the most exciting thing to happen to you, since the fame and stardom came?

Young City: Free Jewelry, free this and free that! A lot of this, a lot of that, you know how that goes.

BallerStatus.net: Can you tell us about the concept of the video "Lil' Daddy?" I hear that they're many guest spots in it. For the most part, we've been getting glimpses of you in other people's videos. Most notably you were last seen in the 8Ball & MJG video "Forever." Many people are not really familiar with Chopper or his creative mind.

Young City: "Lil' Daddy" is mainly an introduction -- here I am, Chopper. I'm back! As a matter of fact, I never left. I just had to get that band sh-- dusted off. I introduced myself and let them know that I am coming real hard with it, undeniable. [The video] is showing my street, where I am from. I'm bringing it back to that "Ha" with Juvenile, period! I'm hitting them with the "Ha" with the '05 "Ha!"

BallerStatus.net: The track is off the "Hustle & Flow" soundtrack. How did you first get on the soundtrack? How did you hear about it?

Young City: Harve Pierre out of the whole Bad Boy. Me and Puff, we cool, everything is alright, but Harve and I have a certain type bond. When I signed this deal, I wanted to make sure that I had certain rights and I owned mine. I wanted credit and to be recognized. I got to be mentioned. Don't short me! If you're not going to mention me, help me! You're not going to put me on the shelf on some U.S.D.A frozen meat sh--. If you do that, I can make my own moves and go independent. I can go to another label. It's nothing personal, that's just called business. That's what it is. That's the thing with me, cuz. They mentioned me and heard the joint "Lil Daddy." They all went crazy over it. For the soundtrack ("Hustle & Flow"), they wanted nothing but Atlantic [Records] artists. You know that Chopper/Young City had to be a part of that.

and heres a link to his single for those that havent heard it

Code:
    http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GM6UPI8DQJQ00H476WHN949NT
    GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
    You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

he a bitch
    fuck livin positive cause negativity spreads faster

pissin off/on people

Originally posted by danielno8
    on his nuts? i think YOU just like to sound cool by talkin like eminem.

Comment

^what he said
      "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

No he's not you two hate anything thats not G-Unit.

Comment

^and u hate everything that is g-unit
          "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

^^ Because the music is shit...I have a reason you don't.

Comment

i'd cop his album...he got some producers on there...toomp mannie fresh track boyz ..damn

Comment

Originally posted by CT9
                ^^ Because the music is shit...I have a reason you don't.

nah muthafucka , u know damn right that if that chopper bitch would sign to g-unit u'd hate on him
                \
                btw take that fuckin psycho out of ur avy

Comment

Na Bizzy has way more talent than everyone in G-Unit n if Choppa sign to G-Unit I dont know how much I'd like his music but I'd still think he's funny. I'm not even really a big fan of his music I just thought he was funny on MTB

Comment

Originally posted by CT9
                    No he's not you two hate anything thats not G-Unit.
                    and u base this on what?
                    fuck livin positive cause negativity spreads faster

pissin off/on people

Originally posted by danielno8
                    on his nuts? i think YOU just like to sound cool by talkin like eminem.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:56 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Deborahlanker  
                    Started by Bookman, Today, 09:23 AM
                    0 responses