Water pumped from flood-hit city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pumped from flood-hit city

Engineers have begun pumping water from New Orleans after repairing a key breach in the city's floodwalls, eight days after Hurricane Katrina struck.

Rescue teams still hunt for survivors, amid fears the heat and lack of clean water mean time is running out.

Some evacuees are to be moved on to specially chartered cruise ships, which could be their home for six months.

President George W Bush has invited top US politicians from both parties to the White House to discuss the situation.

The response to Hurricane Katrina is expected to head the agenda for the US Senate when it reconvenes on Tuesday after its month-long summer break.

Two Senate committees are shortly to begin hearings into how the relief effort was handled, with Democratic Senator Hillary Clinton leading calls for a wider-ranging commission of inquiry.

In other developments:

* A state of emergency is declared in 10 states, enabling federal funds to be released
    * President Bush pledges long-term help in rebuilding in his second trip to affected areas in four days
    * Ex-presidents Bush and Clinton launch a disaster relief fund.

'Progress'

In New Orleans, the huge operation to repair its damaged floodwalls and levees is starting to show signs of progress, officials say.

Engineers have plugged the breach in the 17th Street Canal floodwall, the cause of much of the flooding, and are now beginning to pump water from the canal to reduce its unusually high level.

Work continues to repair damage to other floodwalls and levees built to keep out the waters of Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River.

Although levels of standing water are reported to be dropping in some areas, the operation to drain the city is expected to take several weeks.

Rescue teams continue to carry out house-to-house searches as they hunt for survivors who may still be stranded in their homes with dwindling supplies.

Workers are also for looking bodies, some of which are being put in refrigerated lorries and portable morgues before the identification process begins.

One New Orleans police officer told the BBC bodies were being tied up on poles to stop them floating away before the coroners could reach them.

"If we could have got there in time, or if the government could have provided what they should have provided for us, they could have made it in time and saved these families," he said.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin told NBC's Today Show that a figure of 10,000 deaths "wouldn't be unreasonable".

Speaking about the repairs to the flood defences, the Associated Press news agency quotes him as saying: "We're starting to make the kind of progress that I sort of expected earlier."

'Completely destroyed'

Officers have called for the several thousand people thought still to be in the city to leave while the clean-up goes on.

"There are no jobs. There are no homes to go to, no hotels to go to, there is absolutely nothing here," Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley said.

"We advise people that this city has been destroyed, it has completely been destroyed."

Thousands of people in Jefferson Parish, on the outskirts of New Orleans, were allowed back briefly on Monday to view the damage to their homes.

Efforts to house and feed the hundreds of thousands of people displaced from their homes continue.

Officials in Texas are to move some 7,000 evacuees out of the Houston Astrodome and on to cruise ships chartered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) for up to six months.

Priority will be given to the elderly and those with special health problems, the agency said, but conditions aboard will not be luxurious. Two of the cruise ships will be docked in Texas, while the third will go to Alabama.

The move marks a change of emphasis for the relief agencies, the BBC's Michael Buchanan in Houston says, with the focus switching to longer-term care rather than providing immediate shelter.
    No One Will Ever Understand Me, I'm Just Too Complicated...
    http://www.***************/forums/index.php
    UNITED 'TILL I DIE

That is good news for New Orleans but bad news for the Mississippi river and the enviroment, did they treat the contaminated water before pumping out into the river?
    Last edited by #1GROUPIEBITCH!; 09-06-2005, 07:29 AM.

Comment

i dunno all i know it what is in the article...
      No One Will Ever Understand Me, I'm Just Too Complicated...
      http://www.***************/forums/index.php
      UNITED 'TILL I DIE

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Dave Dirty, 02-02-2016, 02:29 AM
      6 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Amarett