ABC, NFL Say Kanye West Can Perform At Season Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC, NFL Say Kanye West Can Perform At Season Opener

The NFL and ABC have decided to keep rapper Kanye West as a performer in the season-opening sho, despite media criticism of comments West made during a live NBC telethon to raise money for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

West appeared on “A Concert for Hurricane Relief” along side other celebrities. While West was at the podium with comedian Mike Myers, he deviated from the script and criticized the United States government’s response to African-Americans after the hurricane, which left hundreds of thousands of people displaced.

West concluded his unscripted comments by saying “[President] George Bush doesn’t care about Black people.” NBC quickly cut away from West and censored West's speech out of the West coast rebroadcast which aired three hours later.

West will perform as scheduled with Maroon 5 at the Los Angeles Coliseum during the league’s opening show, which will air on rival network, ABC Thursday (September 8).

A spokesman for the league said that West had expressed his opinion and that performers were selected for entertainment purposes and not their political beliefs.

West’s performance with Maroon 5 will be taped 20 minutes before the NFL opener and will be then be mixed into the live broadcast.

The NFL is producing concerts in Los Angeles, California, Detroit, Michigan and Foxborough, Massachusetts and will also feature Trisha Yearwood, The Rolling Stones and Green Day.

Both ABC and the NFL has tried to avoid controversy since Janet Jackson’s infamous breast incident on CBS.

ABC also came under fire because of a sexually charged “Desperate Housewives” introduction staring The Eagles’ Terrell Owens and ABC's “Desperate Housewives” star Nicollette Sheridan.

The Eagles and ABC later issued apologies for the spot. The NFL Opening Kickoff 2005 takes place Thursday, Sept. 8 at 8 p.m ET.

SOURCE
    Originally posted by midwestwitch
    If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

but if a famous white guy said that jesse jackson or some other high black leader is a racist towards whites, then the dood would be killed by the media and other blacks about that persons comments. i mean, it is true, bush doesn't like blacks, but u don't say that shit on tv when u are on trying to help a situation. all he did was make it worse. peece
    "I know that my plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth?" - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by RETURNOFTHEKING
      but if a famous white guy said that jesse jackson or some other high black leader is a racist towards whites, then the dood would be killed by the media and other blacks about that persons comments. i mean, it is true, bush doesn't like blacks, but u don't say that shit on tv when u are on trying to help a situation. all he did was make it worse. peece
      Quit comparing it is not even the same thing. Stop trying to even compare what any famous white guy would say. The fact is that some famous white guy didn't say it and you are making a big fucking issue out of it. He (West)was speaking his mind and whether you agree or not that is how the man was feeling at the time and that needs to be respected. Walk a mile in that guy's shoes and then come back and tell me how it feels to be him. I couldn't tell you how it feels to be a black man in this (amerikan)society, but I can tell you that it disgusts me when white people assume I am in their racist little club just because of my skin color. Or that anyone could assume that I hate them because of their genetics. If I hate you it is because you're an asshole and deserve it.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."

John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by Meowomon
        Quit comparing it is not even the same thing. Stop trying to even compare what any famous white guy would say. The fact is that some famous white guy didn't say it and you are making a big fucking issue out of it. He (West)was speaking his mind and whether you agree or not that is how the man was feeling at the time and that needs to be respected. Walk a mile in that guy's shoes and then come back and tell me how it feels to be him. I couldn't tell you how it feels to be a black man in this (amerikan)society, but I can tell you that it disgusts me when white people assume I am in their racist little club just because of my skin color. Or that anyone could assume that I hate them because of their genetics. If I hate you it is because you're an asshole and deserve it.

It needs to be respected? I dont think the event's purpose was for everyone to state their own opinion on national tv. This isnt the time for people to be pointing fingers, there are people out there who still need help, the time will come when we can look back and figure out what went wrong. Kanye should have saved his stuttering speech for another time.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Meowomon again.
          Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
          Would you let the system
          make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

whatever...can't wait for the season to jump off

Comment

Originally posted by Meowomon
              truth, whites are mad
              Back like Cooked Crack

Comment

You naive fucks, do you even watch the news? Everytime a black athlete mentions something about race the media completely bashes him and makes him look like a bad guy. (Barry Bonds, Jermaine O'Neal...a few examples)

Stop trying to turn it around act like there's there's some sort of double standard conspiracy and whites getting oppressed by the media.

Not to mention there's all sorts of right-wing psychos spouting off in every direction about this shit(Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly) and I don't see you crying about them.

Comment

white man says fuck blacks, he's racist. black man says fuck whites, and he's a leader. look at jesse jackson. simple as that. end of story. i get bitched at for saying something about someone having an opinion?? wasn't my thread an opinion? and i get bitched at? u fools are gay. and its always the white people on this board that always sticks up for comments about blacks. my post was nothing more than the truth. and how are u gonna talk about bonds being bashed by the media. bonds get bashed cause hes a fucking prick that makes him out to be the victim all the time. his racist comments only fuel that fire, not start it.
                  "I know that my plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth?" - Socrates

Comment

white man says fuck blacks, he's racist. black man says fuck whites, and he's a leader. look at jesse jackson. simple as that. end of story. i get bitched at for saying something about someone having an opinion?? wasn't my thread an opinion? and i get bitched at? u fools are gay. and its always the white people on this board that always sticks up for comments about blacks. my post was nothing more than the truth. and how are u gonna talk about bonds being bashed by the media. bonds get bashed cause hes a fucking prick that makes him out to be the victim all the time. his racist comments only fuel that fire, not start it.
                    U are totally right. All these white people sticking up for black people are total idiots. Black people dislike white people just as much as white people dislike black people. Black people can get away with saying shit about white people but if a white person says something about a black person they are racsist. Its a bullshit double standard.

Comment

wow u dont understand the social structure in america do u? last time i checked white people were an overwhelming majority and have it the best in america compared 2 all other ethinicities, people like u r fuckin idiots, itd be different it it was exactly 50% white and 50% black and evryone was treated exactly the same, then i guess ud be right, but for rigth now in the real world, ur a fuckin moron

and kanye west didnt say ANYTHING negative about white people at all, he just said that george bush was racist, thats it, whats wrong with him having an opinion on ONE single person,
                      Last edited by Dirrty aka ST; 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM.
                      FREE XBOX360 it really works, I did it for a free ipod, just sign up and complete the FREE audiobooks 1 month trial. Absolutley free.

Comment

Originally posted by young stunna
                        All these white people sticking up for black people are total idiots. Black people dislike white people just as much as white people dislike black people. Black people can get away with saying shit about white people but if a white person says something about a black person they are racsist. Its a bullshit double standard.
                        wow ur an idiot, ur saying evrysingle black person dislikes white people exactly as much as each other? and also what do white people hav 2 be mad for? some black people dont liek white people from personal experiences and the way they were treated by them, maybe some dislike them for wrong reason, but u guys r so stupid thinkin evry thing is all equal and fair in america, ur fuckin morons, seriously
                        FREE XBOX360 it really works, I did it for a free ipod, just sign up and complete the FREE audiobooks 1 month trial. Absolutley free.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
                          You naive fucks, do you even watch the news? Everytime a black athlete mentions something about race the media completely bashes him and makes him look like a bad guy. (Barry Bonds, Jermaine O'Neal...a few examples)

Stop trying to turn it around act like there's there's some sort of double standard conspiracy and whites getting oppressed by the media.

Not to mention there's all sorts of right-wing psychos spouting off in every direction about this shit(Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly) and I don't see you crying about them.
                          yeah seriously, why the fuck would u complain if ur white anyway? u gota be kdding me
                          seriously, how r u being discrimitated against unfairly if ur white? (by teh way im white)

even if u were being discrimintaed against unfairly, its nothing compared 2 what evry other ethinicity has had 2 face in americas history

Comment

Originally posted by young stunna
                            U are totally right. All these white people sticking up for black people are total idiots. Black people dislike white people just as much as white people dislike black people. Black people can get away with saying shit about white people but if a white person says something about a black person they are racsist. Its a bullshit double standard.

Wow, you get it. You're right. There is a double standard. And there are triple standards. It's ok to tell a blond joke, but don't make a joke out of a black chick with blond hair unless you are black or one of the varying tones of brown, sienna, sepia whatever. But hey that's life. There is a double standard about everything. Do you really believe that all black people dislike all white people and vice versa? You live in a really small space.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."

John Lennon

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by pdumbgukogqw, Today, 02:18 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post pdumbgukogqw