X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sheek Louch Interview

smh, haters fall back

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paying dues is a vital part of any hip-hop artistís career, and perhaps no one knows this better than the Lox. The Yonkers trio have been through it all: from counting Benjamins with Bad Boyís Puff Daddy, Ruff Ryding alongside DMX and the crew, and now almost ten years later repping D-Block while maintaining their own successful solo careers.

But Sheek Louch is perhaps the three-man teamís most misunderstood member. If Jadakiss is the baby-faced front man, and Styles is the conscious-minded gangsta, then Sheek must be the trioís low-profile businessman. Aside from rhyming Sheek is also the founder of D-Block Entertainment, as well as the manager of several artists including Lox protťgť Jae Hood. Balancing the workload in-and-out of the lab is an arduous task, but with years of industry experience on his side Sheek handles his business one day a time.

With the 50 Cent/Jadakiss situation in the not-too-distant past, a D-Block collaborative album on the way, and Def Jam Recordings possibly signing the Lox, Sheek sat down with NobodySmiling and laid it all on the table.

NBS : As far as the Lox are concerned, it seems like Styles has lately been addressing a lot of social issues in his songs. Meanwhile Jadakiss is also getting more and more personal with every album. From that standpoint, where do you see yourself at right now?

Sheek : Definitely, I opened up a whole lot on this album, letting you know where Iíve been, why I wasnít here, this-and-that, just everything. And I touch on different topics, like in the Black community, going to jail, just different stuff, man. Itís a surprise. And weíre grown, definitely, weíre getting older and weíre seeing things different now.

NBS : Hailing from Yonkers, how does that give you a different outlook on the world in comparison to other rappers?

Sheek : Yonkers is something else itself, man. Itís not Brooklyn, itís not Harlem, itís not Queens. Y.O. is, I mean you know, ďthe home of Mary Blige, DMX, and the Lox.Ē We got our own way of things, our own language, our own slang, but we fit in just like wherever else. We could hold our own anywhere. A lot of people got our style now, you know what I mean, as far as rap that me, Jada, and Styles came in with. Now theyíre using that, but we were one of the first to come with that little slick shit, you know?

NBS : Whatís going on with D-Block, because that seems to be more of your business side in the industry.

Sheek : Yeah, Iím definitely one of the business dudes of the crew. I try to be there on the business side of everything. I stay in the studio Ďtil late hours; even if Iím not working on myself, Iím working on something else. The lineup coming up is my album on September 20th, itís called After Taxes once again. We got the D-Block compilation album. We started that already, everybody and their mother is trying to get on that Ė
    itís called No Security, thatís coming for Christmas. We got Jae Hoodís album piggybacking off of that right there Ė heís coming in February, itís called Tales From The Hood. Right now the Lox album is up in the air, itís called Live, Suffer, Celebrate. Yeah, we started that. We got Jay-Z trying to buy the Lox as we speak, as well as Diddy bidding for that, you know what I mean? Weíre grinding man, thereís a lot of things going on, you know?

NBS : So how has the transition been from simply recording in the studio to now having to take care of the managerial part of the music? How do you juggle the two roles?

Sheek : Itís crazy because before I would do something and it was easier, Iíd just tell my manager to find out whatís going on. But now I gotta get up and find out where that vinyl is, I gotta stay on certain people, I gotta call. My calls donít stop all through the day and at night. As well as besides my own stuff, making sure the well-being is good amongst the rest of my crew, as well as Jae Hood , and paying attention to things that I probably wouldnít have paid attention to before. Thinking about myself, itís bigger than that right now. I canít sleep, I canít lay around and say, ďEhh, somebody elseíll do it,Ē because it ainít like that in this world. Itís a big boy world, you know, word up.

NBS : Now I hesitate to call it beef because it never reached that level, but whatís up with the whole 50 Cent situation, and whereís it at right now?

Sheek : I donít know, man. Iíve been mashing him every chance I got, I ainít gonna lie to you. I got a joint on my album called ďMaybe If I Sing,Ē and I think thatís the nail in the coffin, if you want the truth. Itís crazy, itís sick. But I mean, itís like you said, it ainít really no beef. Nothing ever occurred, no guns popped off, itís straight hip-hop right now. We was really getting at each other for nonsense, you know, the whole thing about Jada did something with Ja-Rule, bigging up New York, and [imitating 50 Cent] ďanybody who does something with Ja Iím mad at,Ē you know? That silly shit. So you know, it ainít really nothing. Theyíre taking their shots, theyíre saying stuff back at us, weíre saying it back, but I think weíre winning right now. Not saying as far as weíre shutting down his businesses and his money, but on that street buzz where if he ever tried to get at us Ė I donít think he expected all of this.

NBS : Do you see it going any farther than where it is right now?

Sheek : Nah, I donít think the shit is gonna go too much farther. Unless they Ė like, it seems heís just falling back, he ainít really getting into it the way he wouldíve went into it with Ja. And I know why he ainít getting into it that much, you know what I mean? Not even saying so much physically, but lyrically, getting at the Lox is a whole different ballgame, you know what I mean? But I think itís kinda, itís on but itís dying down a little bit. Weíre just smacking him on the head for opening yaí mouth with these dudes, thatís it.

NBS : Now youíve been in the game for a minute. I canít even place my finger on the year, because itís been quite a whileÖ

Sheek : Yeah, like almost ten years since Bad Boy, manÖ

NBS : What are some big lessons youíve learned throughout the whole process?

Sheek : Umm, dealing with these lawyers, definitely. Watching, just sitting Ė you know, whatever people got to say about Diddy Ė just watching and learning his moves, how he goes about his day, sitting in the studio for hours when everybodyís going home. And he used to tell us like, ďYoí man, yíall got nowhere near the money I got, and Iím the last one in the studio!?Ē Just him being there with all that money, he donít gotta be there, you know what I mean? And just learning and meeting with these people, and taking meetings for our own label now, itís a whole Ďnother ballgame, man. You gotta be on point, you gotta always ask questions, and ask it again, and ask it one more time if you ainít sure, you know what I mean?

NBS : So do you see yourself always rhyming, or do you ever plan on stepping back and doing other things aside from that?

Sheek : Nah, Iíll definitely step back, man. I wanna put the insight that I got right now into these new, young boys coming up. Grab some artists, some female singers, you know, this is a movement, this whole D-Block thing. Weíre trying to branch off and get into clothing and all that. But itís gonna start right now with this new indie situation with Koch, us getting eight dollars a record. Thatís something crazy, so you know, weíll see.

NBS : Talk about your upcoming album, and what listeners should expect from it.

Sheek : No doubt, the new album is called After Taxes . I called it that just as a comparison as to what things really are after everythingís said and done. At the end of the day, that ainít the right number, this is the real deal, this number here. I stepped up lyrically from my last album. Not saying my last joint wasnít crazy or whatever, but I just took it to a whole Ďnother level. New things in my life have occurred. I talk about, you know, I just had a new baby boy, a brand new sonÖ

NBS : Congrats, man.

Sheek : Yeah thank you, man. So that was different, looking at life different, you know what I mean? Production Ė I reached out to my boy Vinny, a new up-and-coming producer. My boy Havoc from Mobb Deep . I got Alchemist on production. I got Red Spyda, good looking out, I love you. I got Divine. I got Rockwilder. I got some people this time. I reached out to my brother, I got Funk Doc Ė Redman on this. I got my mans Ghostface and Raekwon on there, on some real hip-hop shit. I got Carl Thomas on a joint. Lilí Scrappy. I got this joint on the street right now called ďKiss Your Ass Goodbye,Ē we just shot the video to it, and we just finished the remix also with me, Jada, and Young Jeezy. So itís crazy, man. And this albumís got a lot of different concepts on it, that street hardcore shit that people know the Lox for. And Iím grinding, man. Iím back at yíall, you know what Iím saying?

NBS : Is there anything else you want to mention real quick?

Sheek : After Taxes, baby. Midwest, West Coast, Bay Area, Down South Ė hold your boy down! Itís coming September 20th. Itís called After Taxes, and I gave you my all. D-Block for life!
    Back like Cooked Crack

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SamueleRiley, Today, 02:24 AM
1 response
0 likes
Last Post kmonahan  
Started by torchketousa, Yesterday, 11:24 PM
0 responses