• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/20/06 - Former Guantanamo Detainees Tell of Abuse, Humiliation

Updated: 2006-03-20 20:05:59

Former Guantanamo Detainees Tell of Abuse, Humiliation

By FOSTER KLUG

ap

WASHINGTON (March 20) - Tarek Dergoul spent two years detained at the U.S. prison camp for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Much of it, he says, was spent in isolation.

During interrogations, he told an audience gathered Monday at George Washington University, he was forced to watch as Americans stepped on the Quran, wrote slurs on its pages and threw it in a toilet; his beard was shaved and his eyes sprayed with pepper-spray.

"Guantanamo was a shambles," Dergoul said by video-link from London. "It is creating, as they say, terrorists. ... It's doing no justice for America; there's no information being extracted."

A U.N. report last month said America must close Guantanamo, which the United States has refused to do.

Shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the United States, the Bush administration established the detention center as Joint Task Force Guantanamo at the U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay. It currently houses more than 500 prisoners mainly taken in the aftermath of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan to roust al-Qaida fighters and the radical Islamic Taliban militia government that hosted them.

The Cuban site was chosen for the center because President George W. Bush determined the detainees were terrorists and not prisoners of war. By being on the only U.S. military base in a country without diplomatic relations with the United States, the administration reasoned, the prisoners could be held outside the U.S. judicial system. Only a handful has been charged.

The government has denied some previous reports of abuse of the Quran, specifically that a copy of the Islamic holy book was flushed down a toilet. Newsweek, which published an item with the allegation that sparked riots in some Muslim countries, retracted the story.

Shafiq Rasul, who spent more than two years at Guantanamo, said he was forced to admit to appearing on a video with al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, even though Rasul had been working in England when the video had been made.

Interrogators, he said, isolated him for most of three months, shackling his legs and blasting loud music into his cell until he confessed.

"I was going crazy," Rasul said. "My mind-set was, I have to get out of isolation because I can't hack it no more."

Rhuhal Ahmed, another detainee, said his U.S. interrogators had no interest in protestations of innocence. "All they wanted to hear from you was that you are a member of al-Qaida or Taliban," Ahmed said.

Attorney Joshua Colangelo-Bryan spoke of trying to get more freedoms for a client who had been placed in isolation at Guantanamo and had tried several times to kill himself.

The U.S. military, he said, argued in part that the prisoner was not isolated because he had been interrogated 29 times over two years.

"Is there another case anywhere in the history of Anglo-American jurisprudence where it was argued that a person is not isolated, and in fact has meaningful interaction with other human beings, because he is interrogated?" Colangelo-Bryan asked.

Dergoul said he has recently struggled with conflicting feelings of elation at his freedom and remorse over the state of the prisoners still held at Guantanamo.

"It's nice to smell fresh air and to live free, but it's not so easy ... because our people are still there suffering," he said. "It stays on my conscience."

lmao i got bad repped for copying and pasting real news from AOL.com, you can go fuck yourself, i'm sorry you defend people who torture "arabs" just because of their race and country even though some of the individuals had nothing to do with terrorism only 10% did..it was reported in the news that they discovered 90% of the people tortured and captured were actually later found to just be innocent and people who were dragged off the streets by pissed off soldiers (and i'm not saying all soldiers are corrupt) it has also been said that in order to gain "answers" fron detainies some of them would actually resort to raping their underage young children in front of them just to make them speak. Now this is the shit i get bad repped at for not being ignorant about, for not racially generalizing, and not defending? Whoever bad repped me is a sick pedophelic, murderous fuck who supports the torture of innocent people (not only guilty terrorists) and the raping of young innocent children who have no direction or fault. I hope whoever you are, DIES. Some of the people in these countries were terrorized by saddam himself and some of them AGREE with our actions over there in war so what would be the rightful reason to do this to people? If you sick racists hate arabs so much than why do you support a war where we're supposidly rebuilding their country just so that they can live free anyway yet at the same time you agree with the tortures but don't disagree with the choice to help their lives out? Lmao You people make no sense. These people live in a corrupt government where the GOVERNMENT mainly terrorizes people..but not as much the common people despite propagana...they live through a corrupt government only to be tortured anyway after having to go through a life of trama on top of it..it's like 9/11 and bomb central everyday over there you fucking idiots.
    Last edited by E-WiQ; 03-20-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

thanks for the article.......

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

Comment

I want to see the US Government held accountable for these war crimes and crimes against humanity in the International Court. Guantanamo is bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
          I want to see the US Government held accountable for these war crimes and crimes against humanity in the International Court. Guantanamo is bullshit.
          So my dad was just down there a few months ago, he's an 1-star admiral in the navy, (in charge of all naval commands on the east coast) they walked him around the prison and he said the guys in there, need to stay in there, he said they don't speak much english but do understand "MP" which is Military Police, and they would say "MP MP MP", point to their shoulder and then making a slit your throat jesture towards them.

The world makes it seem those guys are "good" which is total bullshit, if we let them go, it would be the biggest mistake ever. Do u know what the first step is when it comes to Integrating prisoners? You strip them naked and sit them in a chair. You do whatever it takes to make them talk. They are POWs not refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by Pukin Dawgs
            So my dad was just down there a few months ago, he's an 1-star admiral in the navy, (in charge of all naval commands on the east coast) they walked him around the prison and he said the guys in there, need to stay in there, he said they don't speak much english but do understand "MP" which is Military Police, and they would say "MP MP MP", point to their shoulder and then making a slit your throat jesture towards them.

The world makes it seem those guys are "good" which is total bullshit, if we let them go, it would be the biggest mistake ever. Do u know what the first step is when it comes to Integrating prisoners? You strip them naked and sit them in a chair. You do whatever it takes to make them talk. They are POWs not refugees.
            You mistake me.

I'm not saying, they're all good people. There is a distinct possibility some are being wrongfully accused here. But "doing whatever it takes" to make people talk, that sounds criminal. I thought we were above terrorists who torture people?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
              You mistake me.
              I'm not saying, they're all good people. There is a distinct possibility some are being wrongfully accused here. But "doing whatever it takes" to make people talk, that sounds criminal. I thought we were above terrorists who torture people?
              When they try to kill us in battle, thats when you can throw torture out the window.

Comment

i think if you are 100% sure that the prisoner is a terrorist you can do whatever to them to make them talk. terrorist believe theyre doing the right thing and it's impossible to get something out of them just by sitting them in a chair. to the dude who's dad is a amiral youre right about letting them all go would be mistake but i know theres alot of innocent people.

Comment

you guys talk about other human beings like they're animals. we should be trying to understand each other...

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

Comment

Originally posted by E-WiQ
                    lmao i got bad repped for copying and pasting real news from AOL.com, you can go fuck yourself, i'm sorry you defend people who torture "arabs" just because of their race and country even though some of the individuals had nothing to do with terrorism only 10% did..it was reported in the news that they discovered 90% of the people tortured and captured were actually later found to just be innocent and people who were dragged off the streets by pissed off soldiers (and i'm not saying all soldiers are corrupt) it has also been said that in order to gain "answers" fron detainies some of them would actually resort to raping their underage young children in front of them just to make them speak. Now this is the shit i get bad repped at for not being ignorant about, for not racially generalizing, and not defending? Whoever bad repped me is a sick pedophelic, murderous fuck who supports the torture of innocent people (not only guilty terrorists) and the raping of young innocent children who have no direction or fault. I hope whoever you are, DIES. Some of the people in these countries were terrorized by saddam himself and some of them AGREE with our actions over there in war so what would be the rightful reason to do this to people? If you sick racists hate arabs so much than why do you support a war where we're supposidly rebuilding their country just so that they can live free anyway yet at the same time you agree with the tortures but don't disagree with the choice to help their lives out? Lmao You people make no sense. These people live in a corrupt government where the GOVERNMENT mainly terrorizes people..but not as much the common people despite propagana...they live through a corrupt government only to be tortured anyway after having to go through a life of trama on top of it..it's like 9/11 and bomb central everyday over there you fucking idiots.
                    Originally posted by midwestwitch
                    If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

Comment

Originally posted by NyTe^CRaWLeR
                      you guys talk about other human beings like they're animals. we should be trying to understand each other...
                      not happening. any other religion than muslim to them is a enemy. if you heard of the danish comic scandal the islamitsics say with a sraight face that they wont accept people who believe in wrong prophets to do that. why is it that we should keep trying to accept them when they dont want to regonize and accept our religion and believes?

Comment

Some Americans need to talk and they dont...I dont see them being tortured! Or does this "whatever it takes to get them talk" rule go only for others? That's what I thought...

I am The Exorcist. Thou have bewitched.

Comment

some guy who went to my university is giving a little talk to the students about how he was captured and interrogated..after he took a trip to Pakistan to work with kids. He went to Guantanamo.
                          Cain is for Charlie, and Delta is for Cain

Comment

The UN has to step in now and do something about the base because anyone who appears to have connection with any terrorist is called a terrorist which is just bullshit, we went to Florida 2 years ago and police did so many searches on my dad even though the metal detector didnt go off and they made us wait 8 hours, and we're sikhs, ma dad doesnt wear a turban or have a beard so obviously the US arent educated enough to hold randomers at bases just because they assume
                            Buddhism is the shiiiiittttt

When Buddha can't help, I ask , What would BARNEY STINSON do ?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story."

Comment

i dont think 2ce about this shit for the simple fact i agree wit dudey whos dads in the navy these guys are not jus puled of the streets and are innocent they deserve to be there..........and yeh the muslim religion is fucked go ahead an make my rep bar more piru then ever cuz i dont care i speak my mind..there prophet himself was a terrorist he belived in taking up the sword to spread the word of allah how can u belive in a religion based on those principles...........and dont say the shit aint literal cuz as long as the amount of ppl who take it literal still exist in these great numbers fuck islam end of story.
                              FORZA NERAZZURRI!!
                              Il Biscione č arrivo3;-)3

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by vibration, Today, 12:21 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes