Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [March 21] White Mom Claims IHOP Discriminated Against Her

I thought this was Interresting
    A Lower Merion woman claims she's a victim of racial discrimination after a visit to a local restaurant.

Karen Gotlieb, 38, told NBC 10 that she took her daughter and three of her daughters' friends to an IHOP restaurant on City Avenue in Bala Cynwyd.

Gotlieb claims the waitress demanded she pay before being served. She said after prepaying $40 for her meal, she noticed other patrons being served without prepaying.

"I said, 'You want me to pay for my meal before I eat it?' I said, 'Do I really look like someone who needs to skip out on a bill for a few rooty, tootie, fresh and fruities?'" Gotlieb said.

"Anytime a guest has a comment about any of our restaurants, we take that seriously and we will do a full investigation," said Mark Brower, IHOP regional director.

"As a white suburban mom, I would never consider myself a target for discrimination like that," Gotlieb said.

IHOP representatives also said they've been serving people in Bala Cynwyd for quite some time and they've always treated their customers fairly.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/8159714/detail.html
    I'm a monster on the block

i wonder if the three friends of her daughter were black, maybe thats why dey discriminated her.

still fcked up though
    Originally posted by HoaX
    50 it's over. you arent the best and never will be, your candle is about to burn out

Comment

some comments made on the article
      I know exactly what she means. I am a woman of color. My husband and I went to the exact same IHOP and was asked to pay before we order. When I questioned that policy, I was told after a certain time in the evening customers had to pay in advance. I also witnessed patrons that were not made to pay first. I have not and will not ever return to that IHOP in Bala Cynwyd and I made it clear to the manager that the policy was not ethical and discriminatory.
      Sheila Smith
      I can vouch for the discrimination this lady experienced with IHOP. As a bi-racial, light skinned person, I also experienced discrimination at IHOP from a rude waitress who happened to be African American. Little known fact to most of America, the prejudice and racial door swings both ways. It's been my experience mostly all of my life to deal with prejudice from African Americans.
      Are you kidding me?! First of all I can't believe NBC10 even found the time to run this story. Ms. Gotlieb has just had her first reality check with the way the world really works for people of color. Everytime this happens to us where are the camera's then? Puh-leeze! Secondly-boo hoo. So you maybe had to go out of your way for something? Big deal. Being a woman of color I have to go out of my way EVERY day of my life for white people. I don't get mad or call the news station. Grab some tissues Ms. Gotlieb. No one cares that your feelings were hurt at IHOP of all places. If this is what your life consists of maybe you need to find something else to fill the shortage of worthwhile things to do during the day.
      GOOD FOR YOU MRS. GOTLIEB FOR SPEAKING OUT. IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT SOMEONE SPOKE OUT ABOUT RACISM NOT ONLY BEING ABOUT BLACK, CHINESE OR HISPANIC. A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT WHITE PEOPLE ARE VICTIMIZED BY RACISM TOO. MOST WHITE PEOPLE CHOOSE TO IGNORE IT AND PASS IT OFF AS IGNORANCE.
      Wrong lord paul!Those lady's were victims of racial hatred. Finally someone has come forward about a racial problem where the white person has fallen victim. You got it all wrong bud. We always hear about how the black man is discriminated upon, and now YOU see that racism is a two way street. Does it exist? Yes! But you need to take a step back and realize that it is not just a "Black Thing." This goes on in many cultures. I am so sick and tired of hearing people say ignorant comments such as "Now you know how we feel." We all go through it. And those kinds of negative comments won't allow for their ever to be peace among all cultures.
      Lordpaul

As a Black American I have pre paid for meals on more than one occassion. Welcome to our world Ms. Gotlieb. If only for a day, you experienced the racism the occurs quite often in our everyday life. Could you imagine your children dealing with that kind of racism every day of their young lives? Well I can. What Ms. Gotlieb experienced was just a tip of the racist iceberg Black Americans have faced. Deal with it Ms. Gotlieb
      some of the above are referring to this comment^
      I'm a monster on the block

Comment

damn,ihop is my fav resturant,i love their western skillets
        mr. poop chute banger says....
        Homeland Security Advisory System
        http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/progra...ease_0046.shtm
        is wrestling fake?
        http://www.wimp.com/fake/

Comment

LMAO at those comments, some people think that discrimination against whites are rare... Those people needs to be shot

Comment

haha... btw how do u spend 40 bucks at Ihop they pretty cheap lol...
            ~*And to the fans, I'll never let you down again, I'm back I promise to never go back on that promise*~

Comment

Yeah. Racism should only matter when it's against minorities. When white people go through it, who gives a fuck?

Those stupid middle-aged women run around thinking that just because they get discriminated, it makes them "better" people because they go through it everyday. That's the same ignorance that causes it. Fuck.
              I'm pre-disastrous, I fuck shit up before it happens
              Like blown engines of Airplanes with snorin' captains

Comment

[quote/]Are you kidding me?! First of all I can't believe NBC10 even found the time to run this story. Ms. Gotlieb has just had her first reality check with the way the world really works for people of color. Everytime this happens to us where are the camera's then? Puh-leeze! Secondly-boo hoo. So you maybe had to go out of your way for something? Big deal. Being a woman of color I have to go out of my way EVERY day of my life for white people. I don't get mad or call the news station. Grab some tissues Ms. Gotlieb. No one cares that your feelings were hurt at IHOP of all places. If this is what your life consists of maybe you need to find something else to fill the shortage of worthwhile things to do during the day.[quote/]
                dumb ******

Comment

Racism like that does swing both ways but more often than not you just hear about it with black people. I've had it directed at me alot but the worst was one time we had a basketball game out in Belle Glade and they wouldnt let me in cuz they said this wasnt my place until they found out i was on the team that was coming out to play against them. alot of times happens when i go to restauraunts too, theyre not just like "hey cracka why dont you get the fuck out," its usually something like, i think that the restaurant down the block would suit you better or usually something along those lines. whatever though, shit happens.
                  This is why people need to go to college.

Originally posted by Dirty F

this n*gga think you can major in "business"!

Comment

I would never skip out on a bill for rooty, tootie, fresh and fruities

i love those things

Comment

I said, 'Do I really look like someone who needs to skip out on a bill for a few rooty, tootie, fresh and fruities?'" Gotlieb said.

LMAO
                      Da 'Cuse is in da house!!!!!!!

Comment

Wtf is "a few rooty, tootie, fresh and fruities"

Comment

Originally posted by Emc OnTheRocks
                          "As a white suburban mom, I would never consider myself a target for discrimination like that," Gotlieb said.

hurts doesn't it?

Comment

i go through shit like this pretty often. people locking their car doors on me, holding their purses tighter, etc. not as big, but it happens more often to me. it reminds me of the movie CRASH
                            EXIT_OUTLAWCRY7 ENTER_C.R.Y.
                            "put it out, let the streets talk no promo/a real man shouldnt have to say no homo" -jadakiss
                            R.I.P. Proof and Special K

Comment

i've only ate at ihop once

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Cokiger, 10-24-2021, 06:16 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes