3-24-06 Jon Conner - A New Beginning [Mixtape Talk.com]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-24-06 Jon Conner - A New Beginning [Mixtape Talk.com]

This Is My Boy If You Wanna Order A Copy Of The Mixtape Please Get @ Me And I'll Hook It Up!!!

He's been working on his craft for 10 years. He can rap, write, produce, scratch, arrange, sing and engineer. He has written and recorded over 500 songs. He can freestyle off the top of his head for hours. Who is he?? Rich in the knowledge of the past, no longer considered the future, he is the present. He is the now. HE is JON CONNER!

Mixtapetalk.com: Alright Jon, let's talk about the new mixtape you have out, titled Gladiator; what can fans expect to take away from this?

Jon Conner: Hopefully, a respect for me as an emcee and the product I put together. I worked on this cd for 6 months. I feel this is my best work to date. It's a mixtape but I treated it basically like an album and rocked over the hottest instrumentals I could find and mixed in a couple original Big Boyz Beatz to show how we get down.

Mixtapetalk.com: How different is this from anything else you released in the past?

Jon Conner: Well, first off when I set out to work on "Gladiator", I had just gotten out of a 2 year recording contract and was back to square 1 again., and was broke. On top of that, the marketing done for my project, I felt, was wrong and left people with the wrong impression of who I was as an artist. So, I felt I had a point to prove. I was really motivated to do this mixtape, because now as the CEO/President of Big Boyz Beatz and COO of Hellaware Ent. I have the freedom to control the marketing of my music and reap the rewards from my hard work.

Mixtapetalk.com: You also have Jae Millz on here representing, what's the relationship between the two of you?

Jon Conner: Jae and I used to record with the same producer in Teaneck, NJ named D Moet. I used to run into his crew 'Wanna Blow' when our sessions overlapped. I reached out to him for my album and when my label didn't drop the album I ran with the song on "Gladiator".

Mixtapetalk.com: Okay, you're signed to hellaware records, how did that come together for you?

Jon Conner: Well, actually I'm not signed as an artist. I co-own Hellaware Ent. with my business partners Steve C. and Illson. So we will be dropping albums but any Jon Conner project will come out under my own terms. I have my list of labels and executives I'm hoping to do business with, and if I can't entice them we will drop my album ourselves. We already have turned down a couple distribution situations, because we believe in the material and know what numbers we want.

Mixtapetalk.com: Now, you're also a producer and songwriter, why did you choose to start rapping?

Jon Conner: I was a rapper first. I started producing, because I had no one who could make the beats I needed. I started writing songs because I want to eat... [laughing].

Mixtapetalk.com: Do you feel that since you are very versatile it separates you from a lot of other up coming artists?

Jon Conner: I hope so [laughing], because it feels like everybody raps nowadays. I have worked on my craft religiously for 10 years. Hopefully that comes through in the music. I'm very big on the traditions of hip-hop and respect the history of the game. I worked hard on establishing my own sound. I feel I have achieved that.

Mixtapetalk.com: For someone that has not heard you, what can they expect to hear when listening to your music?

Jon Conner: Good production, thoughtful, clever and insightful lyrics, my pain, my struggle, my happiness, and basically my life because I express what I am feeling through my music.

Mixtapetalk.com: You have been in the game for 10 years, what are some of your ups and downs?

Jon Conner: My ups have always been the love of making the music, and the good people I have had the opportunity to work with that helped me become the artist I am.

My downs have always come from the business of selling records. Not too many people have ever shot straight with me and wanted to keep me uniformed and unaware of opportunities that came my way for selfish reasons, that have helped keep me underground. I hold myself to high standards and work a lot of hours, and being away from my family has definitely been a down side to my career. (Shout to Lil Jase and Janie)

Mixtapetalk.com: Is it safe to say you have next, when you been in it for so long?

Jon Conner: I am starting to sense that it is my time. I feel I have earned it. I finally grew up and realized I can do this myself. I don't need anybody to tell me to get to work. I outwork the mules [laughing].

But, things seem to be lining up for me lately. People that I met in the business throughout my travels have new positions and remember me, have reached out. I have worked with many up and coming hot emcees that showed loved and dropped a verse on Gladiator. I am selling beats and working in the industry. You could say I have already made it because for me running a successful business is a reality in my life. And, now that I took control of my own career, I've stepped up my game. I think people I do business with sense that I'm serious, and that I can hold up my end of the bargain. So it's been a good year.

Mixtapetalk.com: Are you working on an album?

Jon Conner: I have started working on 3 albums. My solo album (Art of the Deal), my group album (Welcome to De La) and my album with D Goode (Untitled). I am just recording as much heat as I can and when it's time to drop an album I will collect all the songs and pick the best.

Mixtapetalk.com: What other projects do you have coming up?

Jon Conner: Right now Journalist is recording his new mixtape at my studio. We have a joint together on Gladiator. Journ is serious. I have "Game of Life" droppin soon plus a blend cd by Dj Lt. Dan and hosted by Lil Skrilla. We have Illson's "Beast of the East", Nick Boots and J City's "Young and the Reckless", -Versus- "The Juggernot" and "Mr Hellaware" Steve C. presents De La Warr mixtapes all dropping over the next 3 months.

Mixtapetalk.com: Anything else you want to say to our viewers?

Jon Conner: Yeah, I wanna thank all the fans that support me and buy my mixtapes. The people who show love and buy the cd's at the car shows. The people that came out to all the shows we tried to throw. All the good feedback and messages on Myspace and www.HellawareOnline.com encouraging me to keep doing my thing.

Every cd I ever dropped I learned something. I felt as if I always did something wrong. Some people didn't like my previous cd's artwork, so we got Miami Kaos. Some people said I didn't have any features, so, we went and got Journalist, Joell Ortiz, Jae Millz, Grafh, Bossman, Maino, and Ace Leone. They said I needed a Dj to host my mixtape so we got 2 (Lil Skrilla and Dj Lex "The Silent Killah"). "Gladiator" is the first cd I've made as the CEO/President of Big Boyz Beatz Inc. so you know I had to make myself look good [laughing].

http://mixtapetalk.com/features/mic_check/3_06/jon.php

i wanna interview this dude for the PurelyHipHop.Com Main Site

this dude is good, i have a few songs
    www.datpiff.com/profile/seanmcdevitt

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:00 AM
    0 responses