HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

04/05/06: Brand New Busta Rhymes Interview! Talks Aftermath, "The Big Bang" Plus More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04/05/06: Brand New Busta Rhymes Interview! Talks Aftermath, "The Big Bang" Plus More

Busta Rhymes: The Biggest Bang
    Wednesday - April 05, 2006
    Jessica Koslow

Just weeks before the shoot out at his video, Busta Rhymes talks about his seventh studio album, executive producing Raekwon’s next album and why he’s still one of the hottest artists in the game.

First off, you cut off your locks.
    It was time. It was a 3-4 hour process to do my hair. I was getting tired of that shit. There’s too much going on in the day for me to be losing that much time out of my business day to maintain what my hair should look like. The energy wasn’t feeling right no more. I got tired. This hair is reminding me of a lot of shit that I done got past. I ain’t in that space no more. It was like, old skin on a fucking reptile sheds. I had to shed. I got a lot of good happening now so I’d rather re-grow my shit while this good is happening so I can trap all this good energy in my head and carry that shit around. I’m going to grow it back eventually. Not right now cause I like the breeze in my shit.

And you’re more muscular these days.
    I like the stay in shape thing which is something I always did here and there because the energy on the stage is such an intense one that your cardio got to be right. Your stamina got to be right cause I like to shit on whoever I’m performing with. If we’re performing with somebody you’re not doing a better show than me. I don’t give a fuck what million dollar set you have, I’m going to smash you. That’s the goal that I always try to fulfill personally. We would always work out but it was never to the intense level that I started doing it lately. I guess I had a lot of time off recording this album this time. Three years recording. Before I went crazy because I never set out the game this long and it was sort of driving me crazy. I occupy myself with enough things to do productive so I don’t drive myself crazy. I always put an album out every year. I wasn’t used to not having a record out for 2-3 years. I’m sitting around watching motherfuckers getting money, headlining big venues, doing all these big tour dates and I’m just the sideline motherfucker just looking and shit. But I was able to comfortably take the back seat, which was real good for me because financially to make money you got to spend money. So when you go and do these shows you got to pay entourages, staff members. You breaking off a lot of people while you getting your bread. In the meantime, this time around I didn’t need to do that. So I was stockpiling a lot of money. I was able to be around shit that I could learn from and know how to outdo when it was my turn again. The gym was one of those things. Being able to sit back and focus and analyze how the game was transitioning was another one of them things. It helped me learn how to reapply myself when it was time for me. So now is that time. So I’m going to come back and show *****s a thing or two.

What’s been going on since you left J Records and signed with Aftermath?

I’ve just been making my album. I left J Records, which was one of the best things I ever did. Clive is an amazing man. His establishment is just horrible when it comes to hip hop music. He’s a genius for music but not hip hop music. I hope he can fix that because he got some incredible shit over there as far as hip hop is concerned that if he provides a little more of a nourishment and a support system and a fueling and food that people could feel good about running around championing that shit on a hip hop level, it could help a lot of dudes over there that need the help. After leaving them I just been taking time off, enjoying the family. I never had the chance to do that, rushing projects out every year. I ain’t never made an album and took this long to do it. I was able to experiment and try a million things that I always wanted to and couldn’t. Or that I always thought about doing but was a little shook about it because I felt it was a little too left for motherfuckers or a little too weird. And really assess it fully and live with it. I’m able to live with a record for two, three months and revisit it and change things and correct shit and make it better. And do as much as I feel I can do to it in 6, 7 months instead of just banging out a song in 1, 2 days and never getting to live with it because I’m trying to meet a deadline. This is the first album that a deadline was never even a factor in the whole recording process. Patience was my best weapon this time around.

I heard that Dre likes an artist to come in the studio and finish the track before they leave the studio.

That ain’t what it is with me. But it’s like that with Dre. He’d rather it happen quicker than slower. If ya’ll have a vibe and you go in there and bang out it’s the best shit for everybody. Because motherfuckers want to hear the idea sooner than later. When I first got with Dre and he produced “Break Ya Neck” and all of that on the Genesis album, we did five songs in a day and a half. The ideas were just spinning off so stupid and so quick. That was exciting to him, which connected to every other dot after that and which is why we ended up in the situation we are in now doing business together. Dre works at whatever pace you work at as long as the finished product is something we’re all happy with. He’s a patient motherfucker. You can see he takes 6, 7 years just to put out his own shit. You don’t get a Chronic every year. You get a Chronic every 6 (or) 7years. Patience is his biggest weapon. When you get his shit nobody can fuck with it. It don’t matter when he drops his shit. He knows he’s dominant in that sense so he never feels threatened by the way the game changes ‘cause he’s usually the one that contributes to dictating the change. I learned that in my situation, which was something I wanted to apply by taking three years to do my album. I wanted to see how much more powerfully I could make my record by being as patient as this motherfucker. If he does this shit all the time, it doesn’t matter who he’s fucking with, Eminem, Stat, Bishop, Snoop, NWA, 50, Eve, his own shit, Game. It’s like everybody comes out and does some astronomical in their first week and at the end of the project is some unbelievable scan. That ain’t no scam and there’s a certain method to that dude’s madness and I wanted to figure that shit out. I had to do the patient thing as much as it was killing me because I knew that was a part of the science: patience. You stumble over your best shit when you take your time. There was a lot of shit that wouldn’t have ended up on my album if I didn’t do the patient thing.

Are you executive producing Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Link II?

Absolutely. It’s going extremely phenomenal. I’m Rae’s biggest fan. That’s my executive producer credit. I’m not telling him what to do. He knows what to do. The most that I did was tell him was stop making albums and make another movie. That record, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was a fucking movie. They started off the album fucking making vows to each other that this was the last hooray. He was the larger than life hustler. They didn’t make another album like that to me. They made albums after but they wasn’t movies. That shit has a theme that was sewn and knitted so tightly from beginning to end to me that it was some shit that I personally miss. I don’t see that no more. Plus them two got to be some of the greatest slick talkers on the mic that I heard. Their analogies and the punch lines and the way they would compare shit to something to give you an example of what they’re talking about. Their analogies is some shit that when you get it it’s such a vivid picture that I think that shit is unstoppable greatness. I just want to see it. The game needs that kind of influence right now. We were blessed to get that in (the) Golden era. Now these motherfuckers, part of the reason their shit so trash, they don’t get those examples to look toward to see what they need to do. You got to do that same thing your way. You got to have that significant, obscure, genuine, stand alone shit that marks a moment in time that’s timeless and that’s when you get that classic title over your shit. Nas did that with Illmatic. Rakim did that with Paid In Full. PE did that with It Takes A Nation... KRS with Criminal Minded. Slick Rick with The Greatest Adventures... Dre with The Chronic and *****z 4 Life. Snoop with Doggystyle. Cube with Amerikka’s Most Wanted. Tribe with Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders. De La (Soul) with Three Feet High. None of those albums are from the now time. That’s the shit that bugs me out. These young dudes ain’t getting the guidance that’s needed. I just think it’s necessary. Raekwon, stop bullshitting. Whatever you doing, whatever you feel you going through, I’m offering whatever I can to offer you the inspiration needed to get back into your Cuban Linx mindstate, even if it’s one more time and you don’t want to ever do it again. Rae knows what he got to do. RZA knows what he got to do. I’m just the one that sparked the fire big enough to get everybody back on that focus to want to go there with it. Patience is your best weapon. That’s why they taking their time. There’s no reason to rush it. Motherfuckers waited this long for the Cuban Linx project, you can wait a little bit longer so you get it the right way.

You been doing any acting lately?
    I ain’t doing nothing with movies right now. My focus was my album. This whole situation with Aftermath and this being my seventh album and I completed it in 2005 and you add them numbers together and that shit equals 7 too. And I represent the Five Percent Nation of Islam and the number 7 represents God. So it all makes sense to me why 7 was the lucky number. I felt like all that mathematical shit wasn’t calculated that way by accident. I made it my business to focus primarily on that. Making it a Godly project. I wanted it to supremely supersede everything going on. Fuck being the King of New York. God creates Kings. That’s my outlook on this whole thing. Every opportunity that I got came after the music, movies, endorsements. There’s no need for me to chase that because it chased me once my records were hot. I never went to acting school and I ended up in 6 or 7 flicks. I never asked to be an actor. I made a lot of good money acting and I will continue to do that once I turn in my album. My album comes out and completely dominates every situation going on with music. Everything else spirals out of control after that, a domino effect. I want it to happen my way instead of it happening coincidentally or in a way that’s out of my control. I know exactly what I need to do and how it needs to get done. It’s like a reincarnation for me. When you fall off you say, I wish that I knew the shit that I know now when I first started. Motherfucker always say that when it’s too late. I’m able to say that, like I’m still growing. I haven’t even primed yet. It’s bugged to me that 15 years later I’m doing the biggest deal of my whole career on the #1 label in the game where there’s no need for them to sign anything unless it’s the hottest shit. Aftermath has dominated Hip Hop since they put out 'The Slim Shady LP' feel me? Which means that I’m one of the hottest shits going on 14 years later. For me, I’m getting the chance to do it with the 14, 15 years of know-how all over again in the best situation I could ever be in. I don’t have to say I wish I knew everything I knew now then because I know it now and I’m able to apply it in a new situation as if I am doing my first deal ever. This shit couldn’t get no better for me. I feel like I’m living a dream right now.

Hiphopdx.com
    Last edited by Rebel01; 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM.
    Aftermathmusic.com MySpace ! http://myspace.com/aftermathmusiccom
    You Must Go To : www.aftermathmusic.com www.aftermathmusic.info !!

i know dre is a legend and a great producer, but i bet busta gets tired of talking about him in every single interview he does
    April 11th, 2006 - Proof that the good die young

Comment

good read
      "Let no man seperate what we create"
      "Makaveli 1996"

Comment

fuck, his album should be out NOW
        I rap.

Comment

yeh good read

Comment

This album will not be that big, it will probably be pretty good though.
            Originally posted by SteWonYou
            sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
            Originally posted by Temerity
            understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
            Originally posted by Nianco
            Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

I'm not really a dre fan like everybody really is.
              Put the the bullets in the rocket my pockets is full of cream
              i hold the steam keep the steel in my hands like wolverine-Cassidy

Comment

Originally posted by dErTy kEvin
                i know dre is a legend and a great producer, but i bet busta gets tired of talking about him in every single interview he does
                he wont be if his album sells like crazy...then everything he said will prove to be really true.

Comment

I'll be coppin this. The finished product will be quality.

Just like GRODT and The Documentary.

Comment

he is right though! DRE IS ONE PATIENT MUTHAFUCKA! he has a plan with all his albums and he builds the hype like a bitch so you cant help but get a massive first week sales. How much we think busta is gonna do week 1 i'm thinkin 300,000?
                    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Comment

Cool, thanks 4 posting.
                      Build Big Muscles Fast

Foods That Will Kill Your Appetite

Comment

See motherfuckers like this have thorough & well thought out plans. Not to say other artists don't plan & market as strategically, but this fool was already a vet @ this shit. Just now he's in the best situation any artist could be in. He doin' what Rakim should've did. Even though Busta keeps his name in peeps heads, cuz like he said he drops an album every year so n*ggas ain't forgot about him.

If *****s go out & cop 50 Cent, I know they'll cop Busta.
                        http://www.myspace.com/brymstonemusic
                        Hit A N*gga Uppasu'm
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hdPyXH3E0M

Comment

nice read

Comment

hope the album is quite gully, fuck all the pop bullshit they are releasing lately, he want's to get on some RZA beat's
                            Wu-Tang Clan Aint Nuttin' To Fuck Wit'

Comment

Nice. Thanx 4 posting
                              Knew It Was Too Good To Be True!

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 05:25 AM
                              0 responses