April 13 - Proof's death may not lead to charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 13 - Proof's death may not lead to charge

A 28-year-old man suspected of fatally shooting the rapper Proof met with Detroit police Wednesday afternoon as authorities revealed that the musician -- a close friend of Eminem -- apparently shot first, critically wounding the suspect's relative.

A police spokeswoman said that if Proof was shot in self-defense or to protect someone else, the person who pulled the trigger may not be charged.

Wednesday's developments came a day after hip-hop fans around the world poured out their grief at word that Proof, 32 -- whose real name is Deshaun Holton -- was shot and killed, with many commentators characterizing him as another victim of urban violence.

Although he never reached the heights of fame scaled by Eminem, he was a worldwide ambassador for Detroit rap, a member of the group D12 and depicted in Eminem's movie "8 Mile."

Authorities questioned Mario Etheridge, 28, of Detroit, whose lawyer acknowledged Wednesday that Wayne County authorities were looking to charge his client in the shooting early Tuesday at the C.C.C. nightclub on 8 Mile. Police said that according to witness accounts, Etheridge is a bouncer at the club.

Etheridge is a cousin of Keith Bender Jr., 35, of Detroit, who was shot in the face in the incident. Bender remained in critical condition at St. John Hospital and Medical Center on Wednesday.

Etheridge's lawyer, Randall Upshaw of Lathrup Village, maintained his client did nothing illegal.

"The understanding of every witness we've spoken to is that Proof pulled out a weapon," Upshaw said. "It was Proof that shot the first shot. Proof shot Keith in the face. And Keith was unarmed."

"Mario is not a criminal. How many criminals do you know who turn themselves in?" Upshaw said.

Neither Proof's family nor Bender's returned telephone calls seeking comment Wednesday.

According to police, Proof was shot and killed after he pistol-whipped and shot Bender following a fight at the club about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, more than two hours after the C.C.C. was required to close for the night.

It was not immediately known what sparked the fight or who was initially involved.

Proof was shot three times in the head and the chest, according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office. He was pronounced dead at St. John Conner Creek Village in Detroit on Tuesday morning.

A manager at the C.C.C. club who was there at the time of the incident said the atmosphere was friendly before the fight.

"The incident that occurred happened rapidly and was totally unforeseen," said Lamont Bryant, 38, who has worked at the club for two years.

But that characterization contrasted with the one offered by Upshaw, who said Proof was seen fighting with several people in the club that night.

Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens said that if Proof was shot by someone trying to protect himself or another, the shooter may not be charged.

Authorities spent Wednesday trying to round up more than 40 people they said they believed might have information about what happened at the club that morning.

Although music insiders described Proof as warm and genuine, the rapper had a history of run-ins with police -- including a 2004 arrest by Dearborn police on suspicion of assault and a 2003 conviction for disorderly conduct. He was acquitted in 2003 on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon in Detroit.

Information on funeral arrangements was not released Wednesday.

SOURCE
    Originally posted by midwestwitch
    If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

I already read that. Its fucked up
    Bless it
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Respect isnt something that is given, you have to earn it.

Comment

If he was doing his job Proof would be in hospital with gunshot wounds and a stable condition.. Its MURDER.. nothing less noble or right
      Nothing is true, everything is permitted

Comment

if thats the case, then it makes sense

Comment

i still dunno if i can believe shooting an unarmed man in the face for no reason other than a fight .. i mean there were tonnnes f people around, you can't kill someone and get away with it ..

i think if proof did it was accidental .. but who knows ..

hopefully the truth will come out in the end ..
          "Why would I save a world, I no longer have any stake in?"

Comment

when i read the article yesterday saying how they think it went down, i had a feeling they were gonna say the shooting was outta self defense.

its fucked up, but its prolly whats gonna happen.
            "You wanna be the one in control
            You wanna be the one who's alive
            You wanna be the one who gets old
            It's not a matter of luck - it's just a matter of time

Comment

Twice in the head and twice in the chest/stomach area
              sounds like an execution to me, not self defense.

Comment

fuck, what has he gone and done....

Twice in the head and twice in the chest/stomach area
                sounds like an execution to me, not self defense.
                Interesting

Comment

this still duznt explain a motivation...all we keep hearing is that a fight orientated altercation took place and then it skips to proof poppin the first shot. but noone considers that something could of happened in that fight that noone saw or heard who werent close enough...coulda been a threat..coulda been anything and proof simply could have felt threatened or scared but was the quickest slinger thinkin he would get out of the situation fine because it was protection...its possible that this dude got shot by proof FOR A REASON..and now is playing the innocent "turn myself in" role because the most important witness...Proof...is dead and now this guy can make him look bad.

Comment

Seems odd that Proof would star in a short film about stopping street violence then go out and commit it over a pool game.. Why do people patronise him by treating it like the man didnt hav a shread of intelligence? Cmon..

Comment

If even if Etheridge didnt mean to kill Proof, he's dead now, he actually killed him, whether he meant to or not doesnt matter now!

He should be charged
                      http://i2.tinypic.com/vdpq1w.jpg

Comment

If the guy that shot Proof doesn't go to jail, he will be killed. There's a lot of Proof fans out there.
                        Steelers+Penguins+Panthers=Pittsburgh
                        HAIL TO PITT

Comment

fucking joke

there was no need to shoot him 4 times
                          true ^

Comment

Hey we dont know, anythin coulda happened. its a tradgedy
                            Chesterfield F.C
                            R.I.P- Steve Irwin

R.I.P Heath Ledger

Comment

I hope his limbs are torn off.. voice box cut out and his balls are ripped off so he can live as a slug for the rest of his life and think about the difference between 1 and 4 shots.. and how if given a second chance he would proceed

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Campt1971, Today, 03:51 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Campt1971  
                              Started by RachelHelmik, Today, 01:43 AM