Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 15 - No charge of murder in death of Proof

April 15th,2006

Mario Etheridge, who allegedly killed hip-hop star and Eminem's best friend Proof in an 8 Mile club, was charged Friday with gun felonies but not with the slaying, as the Wayne County prosecutor urged those who may be looking for payback to lay down their guns.

I am making a personal plea to the public to let the legal process take course," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a prepared statement. "We do not want people taking the law into their own hands. The worst thing that could happen now would be to compound this situation by having more senseless deaths."

Etheridge, 28, is charged with carrying a concealed weapon, which carries a maximum 5-year prison term, and discharging a firearm inside an occupied building, punishable by a maximum 4-year term. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Detroit's 36th District Court.

Michigan law allows anyone to use lethal force to protect himself or another person from a deadly attack

Etheridge's lawyer, Randall Upshaw said Etheridge has "a clean record, no priors and no allegations of anything" and was licensed to legally purchase a handgun.
    Originally posted by Tone Riggz
    Akon has dry humped a teenage girl, tossed a kid off stage...i think for his next feat, he should diamond cutter Tito Jackson...

I guess they've found out bender didn't brandish his firearm first...that is, if he even had one...knew SOHH wasn't reliable source.
    ------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
    I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

Comment

Mario Etheridge, who allegedly killed hip-hop star and Eminem's best friend Proof in an 8 Mile club, was charged Friday with gun felonies but not with the slaying, as the Wayne County prosecutor urged those who may be looking for payback to lay down their guns while the homicide investigation continues.

"I am making a personal plea to the public to let the legal process take course," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a prepared statement. "We do not want people taking the law into their own hands. The worst thing that could happen now would be to compound this situation by having more senseless deaths."

Quoting Gandhi, Worthy added: "An eye for an eye for an eye would make the whole world blind."

Etheridge, 28, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, which carries a maximum 5-year prison term, and discharging a firearm inside an occupied building, punishable by a maximum 4-year term. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Detroit's 36th District Court.

Etheridge's lawyer, Randall Upshaw, said the charge "is very, very ridiculous."

"If he discharged the weapon wrongfully and killed someone, charge him with a homicide or an assault," Upshaw said. "If he didn't discharge it wrongfully, don't charge him."

Police say Etheridge shot Proof, whose legal name is Deshaun Holton, early Tuesday morning at the CCC nightclub after Proof allegedly shot Keith Bender, 35, in a fight over a pool game. Proof, 32, was a best friend of Eminem and a member of the D12 rap group.

Michigan law allows anyone to use lethal force to protect himself or another person from a deadly attack.

Bender, who is Etheridge's cousin, remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Upshaw said Etheridge has "a clean record, no priors and no allegations of anything" and was licensed to legally purchase a handgun.

But as the charges indicate, the ability to buy a handgun does not make it legal to carry one in most circumstances. Although Michigan has greatly eased regulations, a permit is still generally needed to carry a handgun in public places.

Upshaw said the shootings have the potential to provoke retaliation.

"When people have friends, there is always a concern," he said. "Reputations are what they are and some people feel reputations are to live and die for. We have some concern that some people have pretty harsh reputations."

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, said the case is not closed: "We're still conducting an investigation in the homicide of Mr. Holton."

Upshaw said the gun charges were just a means "to keep a tail on" his client.

Bringing the relatively minor charges can be a way for authorities to hang onto Etheridge, who had been in custody since surrendering to police Wednesday afternoon. David Griem, a former state and federal prosecutor, said investigators were up against legal time limits that would have forced them to release Etheridge if he wasn't charged.

In most circumstances, police must bring charges within 72 hours or face a court-ordered release of a suspect.

Such limitations are watched closely in Detroit, where police are under federally mandated changes due to past cavalier treatment of homicide suspects and witnesses.

Eminem -- who drew upon Proof's encouragement in his transformation from Marshall Mathers, a white suburban kid hanging out in the black Detroit music scene, to an international cross-cultural figure -- issued a statement lauding Proof's contributions.

"Right now, there's a lot of people focusing on the way he died," the statement said. "I want to remember the way he lived. Proof was funny, he was smart, he was charming."

Proof's funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Fellowship Chapel, 7707 W. Outer Drive, Detroit. A viewing will be at Swanson Funeral Home, 806 E. Grand Blvd., Detroit, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday.
      Originally posted by midwestwitch
      If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

Comment

thats effed up... he's gona die anyway... its fuckin detroit
        THEY SCARED TO DEATH, THEY SCARED TO LOOK, THEY SHOOK...
        CAUSE AINT NO SUCH THING AS HALF WAY CROOKS

BATTLES:9
        WON: 9
        KO'S: 9

Comment

that mutha fucker should get more years in prison only 9 years in prison !?!?? WHAT? fucking bull.
          Last edited by d12oh0lic; 04-15-2006, 08:29 PM.
          Rest In Peace, Big Proof
          1973-2006

Comment

Originally posted by d12oh0lic
            hell yeah. that mutha fucker better die. only 9 years in prison !?!?? WHAT? fucking bull.
            ok its stupid quotes like this that make you people look ignorant and stupid...how would u feel or what would u say had the tables been reversed and Proof lived and bender died?? and his family or friends came on here saying fuck proof he's a dead man,he's gonna get it"???

Not to mention if proof didnt die..he should get life in prison as well if not at least 10-15

Here ya'll go endorsing violence, yet its the same bullshit violence you're all hoping for that got Proof killed...2 wrongs dont make a right....fucking hypocrites....what your sayin is.."its ok to kill or resort to violence as long as i like you or long as i'm a fan of your music"

half ya'll are probably the same dumbass's you find in school who wont fight nobody but go around hypin shit up in order to see something for your own entertainment,you could care a less about what the outcome could be or whos involved...ya'll remember the kids in school who'd go on saying "he said this about you or so and so said you were a pussy" talking mad shit or shoving somebody into another in hopes of seeing somebody fight..fucking instigators
            Last edited by Splackavellie; 04-15-2006, 01:45 PM.
            Originally posted by Tone Riggz
            Akon has dry humped a teenage girl, tossed a kid off stage...i think for his next feat, he should diamond cutter Tito Jackson...

Comment

True .. ^ it seems like people don't even read the articles, but just skim through or don't read it at all ..
              Originally posted by midwestwitch
              If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

Comment

Honestly, this will seem fucked up, but whatever. I'm a fan of Proof. I don't give a fuck about the other dude. I don't give a fuck why Proof shot him, that dude got in a fight with Proof, and his cousin killed Proof. I hope Proofs family, boys, sqaud, whatever beats the shit out of/kills Mario. If my friend/family was in the same situation I wouldn't care if they were trying to rape that person, if they killed my people, I would be out for blood.
                "Post count reset due to freeposting"
                -Admin

Every minute, my style switches up,
                they said a real man won't hit a girl well
                I ain't real cause I beat bitches up -Big L

Comment

Fucked up,props .

Comment

i think its kinda of fucked he only well get 9 years if its max but i doubt he well get max but i got money he iant gonna be around long just a feeling i mean it would be really fucked if he got killed but shit like this leads to that ya dig

I Love Axis and His Friend W.e his name is i forgot!!
                    http://thereallastforces.com/
                    http://thereallastforces.com/Forum
                    ^^ These links dont work i am Sorry That they dont WORK!!

Comment

"Violence just creates more Violence"
                      Dallas Cowboys

Derty PuDge

Los Angeles Lakers

Comment

I would imagine, once it's all said and done, if he doesn't serve hard time. He's going to take flight elsewhere.

Comment

Hes going to get the death penalty If you know what I mean

Comment

Eye for an eye.
                            Vitamin Water, Ladies and Gentlemen...Vitamin Water.

Comment

fucked up.....
                              NO MERCY - DECEMBER 7TH

R.I.P. - Big Proof
                              October 2, 1973 - April 11, 2006

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by kafi87o, 05-28-2021, 07:37 AM