(1-9-07) New York has been put six feet under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1-9-07) New York has been put six feet under

OSWEGO, New York (AP) -- New York's governor declared a disaster in Oswego County, where five straight days of lake-effect squalls have dumped nearly 100 inches of snow, and even more snow was forecast through the weekend.

The heavy snow started sweeping in off Lake Ontario late Sunday and has pounded the area almost relentlessly since then.

"Oswego is like right in the middle, so every time it goes by us, we get a little bit of snow -- actually, a lot of snow," said Oswego Mayor Randy Bateman. "At certain periods of the day, the wind just keeps it right over us. Dumping and dumping." (Watch how parts of New York are digging out of the snow )

"You know, it was neat when it started because we hadn't gotten any snow in December or January," Bateman added. "It's getting old now."

Gov. Eliot Spitzer declared a state disaster emergency Thursday, authorizing all state agencies to help assist municipalities and residents in the storm-wracked region. The cities of Oswego and Mexico had declared their own emergencies, kept schools closed most of the week, and restricted all nonessential travel.

Parts of the county were getting as much as 3 inches of snow an hour Thursday night, said Dave Sage, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. On top of that, high wind was creating whiteout conditions.

By Friday morning, the town of Parish had gotten 94 inches of snow. (See a map of forecast lake-effect snow through Saturday morning)

"They'll get more tonight, probably enough to eclipse 100 inches over seven days," weather service spokesman Jon Hitchcock said Friday. (Read lake-effect snow alerts for New York)

More than a week of bitter cold and slippery roads have contributed to at least 20 deaths across the northern quarter of the nation -- five in Ohio, four in Illinois, four in Indiana, two in Kentucky, two in Michigan, and one each in Wisconsin, New York and Maryland, authorities said.

Tennessee and northern Alabama were getting a taste of the wintry weather as well Friday morning -- sleet and freezing rain iced over roadways, and some precipitation was turning to snow.

In Oswego, water main breaks and an animal ice rescue were adding to the challenges for city workers, Bateman said.

"Unfortunately, the forecast is for the same through the weekend," the mayor said. "Hopefully, it won't be as intense. But if it is, we'll just clear it as the snow stops and wait for it to start again."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/02/0....ap/index.html
    http://www.myspace.com/skittlestony

Heh Americans... A flake of snow falls and all hell breaks loose
    JIM JONES

JOEY

BISHOP

"I smoke a blunt to take the pain out and if I wasn't high I'd probably blow my brains out."

Comment

I thought it was Vh1 New York....the story you posted is actually too bad
      GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
      You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

hey fucker, 6 feet is alot more than you think, it's snow and it's fucking cold, and i don't know where your from but 6 feet of snow covers the door's in america, so people can't go to work/school, imagin bein stuck inside for so long, cuz that snow don't melt fast enough, and then that shit gets harder, it takes a few weeks

i live in iowa by the way, and i'v seen to much fucking snow for 1 lifetime, i have a bad back from falling on some rocks when i jumped in a lake, so it hurts like hell to shovel snow to

Edit: to doobag
        Last edited by Yorfa_Kingdom; 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM. Reason: had to fix it
        http://www.myspace.com/skittlestony

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bsdfiswew, Today, 08:40 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post bsdfiswew