HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5/24/08 - Dr.Dre's Former Right Hand Man Interview (The reason why Game vs 50)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/24/08 - Dr.Dre's Former Right Hand Man Interview (The reason why Game vs 50)

3 part interview with Dr. Dre's former right hand man (50/Game/Al Sharpton/Detox/Rakim/Death Row & more)

"DX: Anything that nobody knows about that you can bring up?
    BW: Snoop’s first album [Doggystyle]. A lot of people don’t understand that the album was never finished. They were demanding that album so much that it came to a point where the distributors said, "We’re going to cancel our orders if you don’t get this to us." In 48 hours, Dre mixed the album and did all of the skits. So they had to record all of that and it was done in 48 hours straight. For me, that was the most phenomenal shit in the world. You could just see a line of Hennessy bottles in the studio. You saw lobster and stuff everywhere. But nobody touched it. Everything for that 48 hours was all about music. I remember that Dre laid on the sofa for about 15 minutes and Snoop looked up and saw him laying down. All I remember is Snoop with a pool cue hitting the sofa saying, "Come on Dr. Dre! Get your ass up! You gotta mix my album!” So in a 48 hour period we went from mixing the album from top to bottom, putting the skits in and getting it out there."

"DX: I’ve heard Dre uses his car to test a record's sound. Is that true?
    BW: It has to bump in the whip. When he mixes a song, he always rolls with it in his car. For Dre, that’s his peace of mind. It’s just him and the song. Then we used to hit a spot called the Red Rock on Sunset Boulevard. Like an old dingy white people spot, you wouldn’t think we’d ever be there. We’d go to the upstairs area that had its own bar. And we would always play music up there. People would come up from all different nationalities. We’d test music that way also to see what they would be jamming to."

"DX: Explain the atmosphere of the now infamous Source Awards incident.
    BW: I’ve been to hundreds of award shows. But [The Source Awards] was by far the number one. It had a stigma where some shit was going to go down. But it also had some excitement to it. You know how they have an intermission in between filming? Usually it would be quiet at other award shows. But here? You heard “fuck Queensbridge,” “Brooklyn!” You would hear all of this conversation “Wu-Tang!” and you’d hear people saying, “Fuck them west coast *****s,” and we’d be like, “Aw shit. It’s going to be some shit up in here!” We started the show off with everybody locked in cells like they were stranded on death row.

When Suge walked up on that damn stage and said what he had to say about Puffy; The whole crowd erupted. It was about to be some shit. I looked around and said “Man, how the fuck are we going to get out of this spot.” You know how there’s chaotic tension? Where you feel like something may jump off but it doesn’t? It had that feeling. It took us to the point where we thought the whole arena was ready to throw down but it never got past that point."

"DX: How did you get out of there that night with all that hostility?
    BW: We stuck out like a sore thumb. We are looking like L.A. *****s. I came out of the arena looking for that limo and all I could see was a sea of east coast brothers hollering, “Fuck Death Row! We gonna catch them *****s!” I’m hoping one of them doesn’t find out I’m from Cali. I find the limo and I go back to get Dre. So we walk outside and things changed. They were now like, “Fuck Death…oh that’s Dr. Dre, man! He’s cool. Ya’ll go ahead on then. That’s Dre. Fuck them other *****s though!"

“We got to the (1995 Death Row Christmas Party) and it was not a good look. It was a straight up hood rat convention. All the top-shelf drinks were on the second level, so we get to steppin’, but we heard some odd noises as we got to the top of the stairs. And who revealed himself but Suge, clearing everyone out of the room…

In comes Tupac with Suge’s boys and a dude from Puffy’s camp. Tensions had risen even higher since The Source Awards. Tupac was accusing Biggie of having set him up and shot prior to his prison stint…It was a hectic time, so if you’re in Puffy’s camp, why be at a Death Row party?…They sat dude down in the chair and just started punchin’ him in the grill. Blam, Blam, blam.
    ‘Where’s Puffy’s mom live?' Suge asked.” – pg 77

DX: So back to 50 Cent and Game. How real was this beef?
    BW: Game and 50 wasn’t cool with that situation from jump. Jimmy Iovine was the one who was the brainchild of putting Game in G-Unit because that gave G-Unit a bigger presence on the west coast, plus Game had a bigger buzz on the east than the west at the time. So that way Game could ride with G-Unit and vice versa. Just for bigger album sales.

But you gotta understand that Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo were soldiers for 50. Game already had a deal with Aftermath. Game already had his own people. Game and 50 are very similar in their ways, and never really did like each other. But they understood the game. 50 gave Game a few of his songs for Game’s album and those were Game’s biggest hits. [50 Cent] did the hooks. But 50 wanted Game to be a soldier and Game did not want to be a soldier. That’s just the way it was. 50 wanted to be the boss.

You gotta think about the timing of all this. At one time, everyone was talking about Game. 50 was pushing up his album. All the beef stuff was a little orchestration of jealousy.

The video for “This Is How We Do” was supposed to be like this: one side of the street would be Cali and the other side would be New York. 50’s on one side and Game would be on the other. 50 didn’t want to do the video. Reason why? [50 Cent said] “Game wasn’t on my level if people see me and Game doing a video together they will think that he’s on my level.”

Full Interview:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/featur...-advocate-pt-1

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/featur...-advocate-pt-2

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/featur...-advocate-pt-3

Comment

Nice little read, thanks.
      D!M-SHADY
      RIP PROOF

Comment

50's an asshole, that's what happened.

Comment

props

Comment

If Dre and Snoop finished Doggystyle in 48 hours, why the fuck is Detox taking so long?

Comment

I read the whole interview....good read....all I gotta say is I wanna hear that Helter Skelter shit!

Comment

detox is taking so long because:

1) dre wants his last album to be a classic, so I think he's obsessed with trying to make it just that..

2) nothing to rap about

3) like bruce said, he doesn't even want to put the album out..

Comment

^i think the 1st 2 are right, but if he truely didnt want to, he wouldnt....

that was an awesome read...some great quote that really sum up a lot of shit

Comment

lol 50 is such a bitch, booohooohoo Game aint on my level, well nigguh now he destroyed ur carreer, kthnxbye

Comment

i read this earlier and found the book for cheap online, hopefully it aint complete trash. good interview, gives some proper insight

Comment

Nice read, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ty View Post
                          detox is taking so long because:
                          1) dre wants his last album to be a classic, so I think he's obsessed with trying to make it just that..
                          2) nothing to rap about
                          3) like bruce said, he doesn't even want to put the album out..
                          Yeah. I think that he's just having trouble getting all the shit he wants to in there, and having the right theme to the album. I know at first he wanted to do the opera or orchestra thing, then he scrapped that. He prolly scrapped a bunch of shit just brainstorming & shit...i mean he prolly did a grip of songs and then scrapped it. I think he's tryna get the album to have that flow like Bruce Williams was talking about also. It's gonna take time to do the Hip Hop Masterpiece.

Comment

man it would be nice if the tracks in Dre's vault ever leaked. good read.

http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.ph...hp?ref=4635428

Comment

I didnt even know that Dre and Ice Cube had done any tracks for the Helter Skeltter album. I hope those tracks get released some day.
                              Originally posted by CWCooper810
                              I can be called a "stan" or what not, I even have a backwards E tattooed on my back.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 01:17 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by gbnttorfda, Today, 01:12 AM
                              0 responses