[June 18 2008] 2 Muslim women denied seat near Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [June 18 2008] 2 Muslim women denied seat near Obama

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- A young Muslim woman said she and another woman were refused seats directly behind Barack Obama -- and in front of TV cameras -- at a Detroit rally because they wear head scarves.

Hebba Aref said Wednesday that she and Shimaa Abdelfadeel were among 20,000 supporters who gathered to see Obama on Monday at the Joe Louis Arena when the groups they were with were separately invited by Obama campaign volunteers to sit behind the podium.

But Aref said the volunteers told members of both parties in separate discussions that women wearing hijabs, the traditional Muslim head scarves, weren't included in the invitation and couldn't sit behind the podium.

Aref, a 25-year-old lawyer, said a member of her group was told by a volunteer that she could not invite Aref because of "a sensitive political climate."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton issued a statement saying such actions are "not the policy of the campaign."

"It is offensive and counter to Obama's commitment to bring Americans together and simply not the kind of campaign we run. We sincerely apologize for this behavior," the statement read.

Aref said she replied by thanking Burton, but requested Obama apologize directly to her and Abdelfadeel, as well as invitations to sit behind him at a future campaign event. Obama spokeswoman Amy Brundage said the campaign has apologized.

"He needs to take the matter seriously and send a strong message against any kind of discrimination," Aref said.

A message was left Wednesday morning by The Associated Press for Abdelfadeel.

Presidential campaigns routinely invite audience members they believe will enhance the image their candidate wants to convey on TV to stand behind the candidate at rallies.

Aref, who was born in the United States to Egyptian immigrants, said she had defended Obama during the primaries against a constant drumbeat of rumors that he was Muslim. Obama is a Christian.

Obama also has been careful in denouncing the links, noting that some rumors about him also have been insulting to Muslims.

"I don't want to be called something I'm not, but I felt like ... everyone was treating this accusation of being Muslim as though it were some sort of crime or sin," Aref said.

She was grateful that the group she was with at the rally, which included her brother, Sharif, as well as non-Muslim colleagues of his, declined the invitation to take seats behind Obama after she was refused.

Still, she said, it was difficult to hear a Obama's message of unity among races.

"As he's saying it, I'm thinking, 'Well, wait a minute, I was obviously ... profiled and discriminated against an hour ago."
    All the world is a stage

Lmfao
    OH HAI!

Comment

Wrong morally, of course, but a presidential campaign is like advertising a product trying to market to the largest target audience possible.

Comment

I understand why the campaign would do that. After all, like ^he said, it's like advertising and trying to appeal to the majority - and I do not know how many Americans are willing to tolerate religious Muslims yet. BUT, I think it would have been a real stand-up move from Obama if his campaign didn't do what they did, I mean it would have REALLY appealed to many people and other countries as well. Now this only worsens his public image infront of a certain, non-ignorant crowd imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Manar View Post
          I understand why the campaign would do that. After all, like ^he said, it's like advertising and trying to appeal to the majority - and I do not know how many Americans are willing to tolerate religious Muslims yet. BUT, I think it would have been a real stand-up move from Obama if his campaign didn't do what they did, I mean it would have REALLY appealed to many people and other countries as well. Now this only worsens his public image infront of a certain, non-ignorant crowd imo.
          Heres the thing, Obama has taken loads of pictures with islamic women before this incident but now people are trying to blow it up as if Obama is discriminating in the interest of political image in an attempt to make him lose votes. However since American's are so prejudiced this news will have the opposite effect and probably give Obama more votes in "christian" fundamentalist states.
          All the world is a stage

Comment

We have to also consider that Obama himself probably had nothing to do with the decision and was probably not even informed of such a tiny detail. He might have allowed it IF his beliefs are real. So can't count him out on this yet, but it's a bad look, mostly due to the decisions of his aides and THEIR ethics....

Peace
            Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
            Would you let the system
            make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

So what kinda people can sit behind him?

oh yeah the abercrombie and fitch guys.
              "I got love and assurance; I got new health insurance."

Comment

Originally posted by Bunble_B View Post
                So what kinda people can sit behind him?
                oh yeah the abercrombie and fitch guys.
                LMFAO!

Well at least we know there is no Terrorists here LOL!
                My Soundclick
                My Myspace... ADD ME!

Comment

I hope they paid for that advertising.....

Peace
                  Would you let the system

Comment

Racist!
                    I ain't a desperado I'm desperate to hit the lotto and meet a model who can put a smile on my face like Mcdonalds

Comment

good

Comment

Obama can't catch a break...first. he's aatacked by the media for supposedly being a Muslim...now, he's attacked because his volunteers denied seats to Muslims...the next headline will probably read: "Evil Muslim Obama Is A Bigot"

Comment

Stop the Muslim on Muslim crime, y'all.......Obama ought to know better than that......

Peace
                          Would you let the system

Comment

brown is the new black
                            Think, Act, Make & Spend Money Like A True Business Individual A.K.A. A Baller.

Business To Bling - The Realest Blog On Creating Wealth

Gold Plated Executive Gifts

Comment

Catch 22
                              GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
                              You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post