X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 25th - The Million Dollar Question

Joe Budden: The Million Dollar Question

By Nile Ivey, BET.com Staff

It comes to no surprise that Joe Budden is a very introspective individual. Conjuring up personal experience after personal experience, Buddenís delicate portrayal will easily entice any listener from the start. ď10 MinutesĒ, a ten minute ode to his personal trials and tribulations from his self titled debut, showcased Budden as a vivid story teller enabling the listener to walk in his footsteps. His highly admired, Mood Muzik, series, which drew critical acclaim from the New York Times, also heightened that experience. Now, Joe Budden has returned with an in-depth glimpse at not necessarily ďWhoĒ killed hip hop, but how and why itís been altered over the years.

What generated the ďWhoĒ series?

Joe Budden: Every basketball court and barbershop, people were having this discussion; who killed hip hop? This was way before Nas did the whole hip hop is dead thing. During this debate, I would always hear a different argument as to who was responsible for doing it and what instance led up to that. So I said, letís get into where it started, whoís responsible, and what played apart in doing so. I mean itís a conversation a lot of people can have, but everyone is to busy trying to be politically correct, that nobody will get in-depth about it. Me on the other hand, Iím unsigned, I donít mess with none of these rap dudes anyway and I rap better than a lot of them. If someone takes what I said to offense, Iím fully prepared to um, deal with it. I just felt like who better to do it and it was a great question.

Backlash in hip hop is something that comes quite often, were you hesitant in putting this out?

I wasnít afraid of any backlash and Iíve honestly havenít received any either. Again, when a lot of people drop music, especially when they name drop, theyíre name dropping for some type of exposure or shock value. I was never big on shock value. If Iím saying somebodyís name, itís not to disrespect them or to cast any negative light upon that person, itís strictly for the purpose of whatever record Iím doing. And in this record, in particularly, I felt it was necessary.

Weíre going to go through some of the stand out punchlines and quotes from part 1 and part 2 and I just want your intake on them. In part one, you said ďThe more dudes said they didnít write down lyrics/the more it started to sound like they didnítĒ. What made you really pull that out?

Well, you know B.I.G. started that whole thing then Jay carried it, then Wayne carried it and now everybody is saying that like itís the cool table in the lunchroom or something. Then you look at somebody like Wayne, Wayne goes in the booth, Iíve never seen him write so I donít know his process and sounds like heís just having fun. It sounds like heís not writing anything. A lot of up and coming rappers I speak to say the same thing; but they sound like shit. Thing is, Wayne can say whatever he wants on a record and get away with it, you other people canít. I mean, it just takes away from the art form. Everyoneís memory is not there to the point where theyíre doing whole albums together, itís just not happening

You said in another line ďA million Busta albums and heís still not mentioned with G.O.A.T.Ē. Now, at the end of the line you ad-libbed ďNopeĒ. Though I understand what you were saying, some may take it as a swipe at Busta RhymesÖ..

All Iím doing is raising the level of awareness for a couple of questions. The whole point of this project was to keep my personal perspective out of this record. If this was Joe Buddenís personal opinion on everything I spoke about, the record would go totally different because I can say some things about some people.

Is stepping outside your own box difficult?

I mean, Iíve been signed, Iíve been unsigned. Iíve seen inner workings and Iíve seen it when youíre not so much popular. Iím a fan first, so like I said this record is me speaking on behalf of a listenerís perspective. What I'm saying is facts! Busta Rhymes has put out 20 million records, been around since Leaders of the New School, Tribe Called Quest and people still donít say his name with the living legends. However, weíll put LL up there and everyone will point to his longevity. You got Busta whoís been around for ages and it doesnít happen. Itís not a jab or a swipe, itís a fact!

Does the line, ďThe second week show that the boyís number aint high/ I hate to break it to you numbers always lieĒ, live in the same bed in regards to Lil Wayneís first week sales?

No. I had the same conversation with my brother and he pointed out about 6 lines that he thought were directed at Lil Wayne and I said not at all. But because Wayne is so on fire right now, anything that I say pertaining to hip hop, if it can be attached to Lil Wayne, youíre going to attach it there. This situation has been going on way before ĎA milli, a milli, a millií. Some things to me are so obvious, that they obviate suspicion. And Iím not going to speak about Wayne, but I can always tell when people are buying records. I donít see how other people canít, a lot of this sh*t is common sense.

Were you directing a majority of your energy towards the fans on part 2?

Part one was directed more so toward the artist and part 2 was a lot less about the artist, but more so about the whole spectrum of the game.

ďIf rap was alive, weíd try to be the best rappers ever, not the best rapper aliveĒ. Explain?

When I wrote that line, I damn near jumped outta bed. I said Ďoh man, thatís dope.í Itís so stupid, dudes is so stupid. Best rapper alive, what does that do? Its a million rappers that arenítÖ.especially when the greatest emcess, BIG, Pac, Pun are not alive. So what, youíre just going to be the best of the crop, when the cropís not even that good?

When you mentioned, ďItís too simple, they canít think we really deep/I just heard Chris Brown over the ďA MilliĒ beat", were you insinuating the complexity of hip hop has died down?

I think that the people out there, and then Neyo followed that with his own freestyle; I just think that a lot of people out there donít appreciate rap music. They honestly donít feel itís hard to do. I feel like 60% of the people think they can write a rap. Everyone I hang out with tries to write a rap. Iíll put them in the booth and they tell me they can write a rap and Iíll tell them, can you write a rap that people will actually want to listen to you? The complexity is not there anymore. I think weíre being taken for granted.

How far do you intend to go with this ďWhoĒ series?

I was going to stop at four parts, but I might go longer and play devils advocate. I might want to represent the side that says hip hop is alive and well. Iím not necessarily saying that itís dead, but if it is dead, this may be the cause. However, a lot of people donít feel that way. A lot of people feel that hip hop is alive and stronger than ever. But the sales are the only argument they point to which is why I figure that part of the series may not be so long.

Source: http://www.bet.com/Music/musicnews_j....08.htm?Page=1

get 'em Joey
    Hip Hop

"I got guns that'll make you defy gravity"

Comment

yep, gotta love Joey

Comment

indeed
        Hip Hop

"I got guns that'll make you defy gravity"

Comment

yessss. at least 1 more part.. joe budden > *
          aka Fifty0550

Comment

werd
            Think, Act, Make & Spend Money Like A True Business Individual A.K.A. A Baller.

Business To Bling - The Realest Blog On Creating Wealth

Gold Plated Executive Gifts

Comment

Good Reaad !!!!!!!!! where is Danny is a big Fan of Joe Budden !!!!!!

Comment

Good read...

Joe Budden is the man of the hour. Such a great track what HipHop needed right now.
                Up in the Atmosphere with GOD in the cockpit

Comment

good read indeed.

Even though I think he lied when he said he wasn't takin' shots at Wayne.
                  D E S T I N Y F O U N D

Comment

ROFL at tha turk fuccin with joeys music but having DOJA in his avy

Comment

Originally posted by MC Squidge View Post
                      ROFL at tha turk fuccin with joeys music but having DOJA in his avy
                      lmao @ you thinking thats a big deal. Joey actually addresses your ass in this song.

"i swear some of these fans would put their whole life on the line
                      its like they can't like more than one rapper at a time"

Comment

but i like 50 Cent, Tony Yayo, Jim Jones AND Max B

u fail

Comment

Danny will be here to suck Joe Budden off any minute.

Comment

but hes asleep

Comment

Originally posted by MC Squidge View Post
                              but i like 50 Cent, Tony Yayo, Jim Jones AND Max B
                              u fail
                              Ok then why do you think its funny that someone likes The Game and Joe Budden? Shit makes no sense.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 02-13-2021, 08:19 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post nicklloyd  
                              Started by nfggfaetyf, Today, 01:43 AM
                              0 responses