X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [08/08/08] John Edwards admits to affair, denies fathering child

Edwards admits to affair, denies fathering child
    By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer 13 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday admitted to an extramarital affair while his wife was battling cancer. He denied fathering the woman's daughter. Edwards told ABC News that he lied repeatedly about the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter but said that he didn't love her.

He said he has not taken a paternity test but knows he isn't the father because of the timing of the affair and the birth.

ABC said a former Edwards campaign staffer claims he is the father, not Edwards.

Hunter's daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, was born on Feb. 27, 2008, and no father's name is given on the birth certificate filed in California.

Three weeks ago, the National Enquirer said its reporters caught Edwards visiting Hunter at a California hotel. In the interview, scheduled to air on ABC News' "Nightline," Edwards said the tabloid was correct when it reported on his meeting with Hunter at the Beverly Hills Hotel last month.

Edwards was a top contender for the Democratic nomination for president, pursuing his party's nod even after announcing that his wife, Elizabeth, had a deadly form of cancer.

He placed second in the Iowa caucuses last January but dropped out of the race a few weeks later. He has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential choice for Barack Obama. The former North Carolina senator was the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2004.

David Bonior, Edwards' campaign manager for his 2008 presidential bid, said Friday he was disappointed and angry after hearing about Edwards' confession.

"Thousands of friends of the senators and his supporters have put their faith and confidence in him and he's let him down," said Bonior, a former congressman from Michigan. "They've been betrayed by his action."

Asked whether the affair would damage Edwards' future aspirations in public service, Bonior replied: "You can't lie in politics and expect to have people's confidence."

In 2006, Edwards' political action committee paid $100,000 in a four-month span to a newly formed firm run by Rielle Hunter, who directed the production of just four Web videos, one a mere 2 1/2 minutes long.

The payments from Edwards' One America Committee to Midline Groove Productions LLC started on July 5, 2006, five days after Hunter incorporated the firm in Delaware.

Midline provided "Website/Internet services," according to reports that Edwards' PAC filed with the Federal Election Commission.

Midline's work product consists of four YouTube videos showing Edwards in informal settings as he prepares to make speeches in Storm Lake, Iowa, and Pittsburgh, as he prepares for an appearance on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and travels in Uganda in 2006.

Edwards' PAC following the six-figure payment with two smaller payments totaling $14,461, the last on April 1, 2007.

At the time Hunter was compiling the videos in mid-2006, Edwards was preparing a run for president.

Hunter's name appears on credits in the four videos as director and cameraman.

Episode One of the four videos captures a conversation between Edwards and an unseen woman as the two chat aboard a plane about an upcoming speech in Storm Lake, Iowa.

Cutting between clips of the speech and the conversation with the woman, Edwards touches on his standard political themes, declaring that government must do a better job of addressing the great issues of the day, from poverty and education to jobs and the war in Iraq.

"I want to see our party lead on the great moral issues — yes, me a Democrat using that word — the great moral issues that face our country," Edwards tells the crowd. "If we want to live in a moral, honest just America and if we want to live in a moral and just world, we can't wait for somebody else to do it. We have to do it."

SOURCE
    Well I think it's pretty safe to say that he's not gonna be picked to be Obama's running mate now. lol.

I heard Genji's is having a lunch special tom!!!
    OSU BASKETBALL #1 28-2

Comment

Had he won the Democratic nominee this would have handed the presidency to Mccain.

http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.ph...hp?ref=4635428

Comment

well they published pictures of him with the child so he'd be stupid to keep denying it

Comment

Originally posted by eto'o9 View Post
          Had he won the Democratic nominee this would have handed the presidency to Mccain.
          Yeah, that's what I don't understand. I'm watching CNN and they're saying that evidently everyone in his campaign and his family knew about this affair. He's an idiot for still running for President and keeping his name on the veep list for Obama. Stuff like this always comes out. Did he honestly think that no one would find out?

Comment

just goes to show everything thats dark comes to light eventually.

and on that note, rick ross should follow suit.
            Rhyme & Reason
            Follow me on Twitter: @Eyerone
            #classreunionmuzik
            Check out my newest freestyle: Eyerone "Can't Tell Me Nothin" http://bln.kr/14VV/

Comment

Everyone has affairs, men aren't faithful, Obama and McCain are getting blowjobs from 18 year olds behind their wives' backs. This is no big deal.
              Originally posted by VIPeterson
              Billy, She was 11 when you were 16. Let it go
              Originally posted by Lisa
              billy you're def. sexier than i. sorry that went without mention.
              Originally posted by Dash8dyOne
              Side note, we r blessed for somone like eminem. Real talk!
              I can't be tamed

Comment

Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday admitted to an extramarital affair while his wife was battling cancer.
                grimey.

Comment

Edwards: Who's the faggot now, Coulter?

Comment

Sad
                    GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
                    You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

Comment

LOL at him running to the mens room when being confronted by photographers tho...and it's obvious he's the father of Rielle's kid why else would he be paying visits to the child. I can picture fox news trying to tie this to Obama...ie:

O'Rilly: see this is proof positive that obama would take this country in the wrong direction,just look what he's done to john edwards he's adopted the same poor promiscuous behaviour that's common amongst african-americans..smh..pinhead.

and then we'll get ppl posting on here saying.."what's the big deal?...he's simply saying what the liberal media is scared to say"

Comment

Fail

Comment

oh so what. Why not let the guy bang other girls?? his wife is still eating, his kids are still eating. there are waaay way wayy worse problems.

shit jfk banged every chick in sight! all the old time presidents and A LOT of current politicians and men in positions of power do whatever the fuck they want.

I guess the difference these days is the hyper media that blows shit up and finds out everything
                            "Heavenly father i'm a soldier!, i'm gettin' hotter cuz the worlds gettin colder.-2PAC
                            Rest. In. Peace. Bitch. I dash every last one of you haters with hot grease bitch - Chalie Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Shawtee View Post
                              Well I think it's pretty safe to say that he's not gonna be picked to be Obama's running mate now. lol.
                              He said as soon as he withdrew his candidacy during the primaries he had no plans to accept any nomination as vice president.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Bynarden, Today, 05:09 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bynarden  
                              Started by Gornawil, 06-08-2021, 02:04 PM
                              2 responses