HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good article on Eminem,upcoming white rappers including a female.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good article on Eminem,upcoming white rappers including a female.......

Don't call these rappers 'Vanilla Ice'

By JIM FARBER
    DAILY NEWS FEATURE WRITER

Poverty, K-Mo, and Sarai (below) are part of a new movement of white rappers to appear after the success of Eminem.

On last year's "Eminem Show" album, the world's most popular rapper rhymed a snide prediction: "A concept that works/20 million other white rappers emerge."
    He may be off a bit in his math, but Eminem's forecast of a white rap invasion seems to be coming true.

Thirteen years after the thawing of Vanilla Ice, and three years after Eminem himself became the most famous rapper in hip-hop history, a new wave of caucasian emcees is swelling.

True, there have long been isolated pockets of palefaced rappers - from the Beastie Boys and Third Base to Bubba Sparxxx and Haystak. But the next few months will see the largest wave to date, including Stagga Lee, Poverty, K-Mo, DF Dub and the first white female rapper, Sarai (promoted by her label as "Feminem").

At the same time, other white rappers are busy trying to land solo deals, including the Italian MC JoJo Pellegrino (who has been aligned with the respected rap management company Violator), Kain (an associate of Puff Daddy), and the Jewish rapper Reuven Ben Menachem (a one-time collaborator with the Wu-Tang Clan).

The most obvious impetus for all this is the nearly boundless success of Eminem. "If a label can sell even half of what he has with one of these artists, they're going to do more than okay," understates Mike Saunders, program director of the New York hip-hop station Power 105.

But Poverty (né Tom Ferris), 23, believes Eminem's success has made it harder for caucasian rhymers. "If you're white and you rap, people see you as just another Emimen, no matter what you do," he says.

As The Source's music editor Jerry Barrow puts it, "Eminem has set the record so high in terms of sales and skills, it's unfortunate for any of these other guys."

On other other hand, Vibe music editor Erik Parker thinks non-black rappers have an advantage, since "it's still different enough. But they would have to be really exceptional to be taken seriously."

In general, observers feel there's no longer the level of suspicion toward white rappers who came in the wake of Vanilla Ice and Marky Mark (who has since turned to serious acting under his real name, Mark Wahlberg). Their less-than-credible work in the early '90s hampered the efforts of white artists for years. Even now, you have a movie like "Malibu's Most Wanted" (opening tomorrow), which counts on the audience's belief in white hip-hoppers as hacks for its laughs.

Still, Saunders says that in the real world "there's no racial barrier - there's a talent barrier. You can be the blackest of black rappers and have no skill, or the whitest of white rappers and sell a million."

Poverty feels such open-mindedness extends more often to black audiences than to white. "I get more love from black people. I think white people are scared of liking what they do when it comes to rap. They wait for blacks to like it first. When Vanilla Ice came, white people liked him and then when he got no respect from black people, they felt tricked."

The rapper says his label didn't realize he was white when he submitted his demo tape. When they found out, he says, they had to consider that in their marketing.

"It's harder to prove your credibility," Poverty says. "When you're in the rap game, people check out where you're from and what you've been through."

Which explains why Poverty's promoters have played up his history as a homeless child who grew up with little parental supervision, surrounded by drugs and prostitution in Portland, Maine.

"Rappers still need to be authentic in their stories," says Parker.

They also need to bring fresh influences to the fold. Parker thinks white rappers "can tell stories to white kids that black artists can't."

But he also says it's a mistake for white rappers to make too many specific references to their skin color. "They should focus on delivery and lines," he says.

Poverty agrees. "I talk about my life situation, not my race."

Regardless, there lingers some muted worry in the hip-hop community that white rappers could change the complexion of the genre. "The danger comes if people accept white rappers without knowing the history of the form," Barrow says.

But Parker feels it's unlikely hip hop will ever suffer the fate of rock 'n' roll, which often ignored its black pioneers to become identified as an overwhelmingly white art form. "Hip hop's history is too welldocumented for that."

In fact, Barrow believes the form is now established enough to absorb as many different points of view as possible. "No one person - or even a group of people - can speak for the totality of hip hop," he says. "It's way bigger than race. Now, it can be anything."
    My President Is Black

Thats cool man, I'm interested in seeing if any talented white rappers are gonna come up. A female white rapper thats gonna be interesting! Is that girl Sarai the bitch that roles with foxy?
    GoodGameTV.com

Comment

good shit.. thanks
      Thank You. Post Again. Just Not Here. The End.

Comment

yeah a white female rapper is gonna be dope
        ILL HAVE HER DOWN LOADS QUICKER THAN BROADBAND

Comment

im not sure i didnt know Foxy had another girl down with her

i dot know about marketing her as Sarai aka feminem.........that could lead to some shit for her.....people not taking her serious......shes already not gonna be taken serious so to be called Feminem i dont know........we'll see what happens but i really dont see a white rapper gaining credibility for quite some time specially a female.............hard already for females get respect so i mean come on a white female???
          My President Is Black

Comment

good article, thanks for postin

Comment

Deeeaaaaamn!!!!!

This chick Sarai looks like a TASTY piece of ass!
              Check out http://www.saraimusic.com/

She's got a mouth on her too. Sounds like Lil' Kim.
              Last edited by Diggity; 04-26-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

hahaha yeah thats same pic daily news had but i couldnt post it......she reminds me of foxy back in the day.......her single is wack to me but the bitches gonna love it.......same way they did with no scrubs because thats what her songs like.....one of those female anthems
                My President Is Black

Comment

Re: good article on Eminem,upcoming white rappers including a female.......

Originally posted by clearlexus

the first white female rapper, Sarai (promoted by her label as "Feminem").

and the Jewish rapper Reuven Ben Menachem (a one-time collaborator with the Wu-Tang Clan

They also need to bring fresh influences to the fold. Parker thinks white rappers "can tell stories to white kids that black artists can't."

But he also says it's a mistake for white rappers to make too many specific references to their skin color. "They should focus on delivery and lines," he says.

But Parker feels it's unlikely hip hop will ever suffer the fate of rock 'n' roll, which often ignored its black pioneers to become identified as an overwhelmingly white art form. "Hip hop's history is too welldocumented for that."

i doubt that...i heard of invincible before i ever heard of sarai...

remedy?

i agree with that...there shouldn't be too much focus on one's race; that is a problem that often pigeonholes many hispanic rappers (of course pun was the exception)...

i still think that rap can go down the same path...remember who's running these majors, and also remember that money is their main concern...

"pack ya bags" is horrible...
                  Last edited by Tone Riggz; 04-17-2003, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Nah I don't see a white female working for awhile. White females in the music industry are directly associated with pop stars with digital voices and digital noises behind them. So for some blond chick that looks like any other pop princess to have a sucessful rap career is highly unlikely.

And there will never be more than 3 white rappers at a time in the mainstream business that are sucessful. Maybe not even more than 1. Even though I listen to 6 white rappers it will still be impossible for them as a whole to be more sucessful than black artists.
                    Posterpedic Mattresses

Comment

what about old house of pain ? :| and btw,
                      go to www.raceunited.com check artist name Shi 300. dope.

and bout remedy, dont like his style very much, tho "Never Again" is dope.

and white rappers can tell storys

--------------------->>> ME
                      S#!THAPPENS.

Comment

SHE JUST SOUND AIGHT

PERSONALY I DONT THINK SHE'S NOTHING SPECIAL SHE JUST SOUND LIKE A NORMAL RAPPER SHE'S NOTHING PROL;IFICAL
                        SAY WHAT YOU SAY BUT I AINT FUCKING LISTENING

Comment

thanx for that, as long as rappers uphold the tradtional culture of hip hop and respect it's background then it doesn't matter what ever your race or gender or whatever.
                          You'll read anything won't you?

Comment

wit her first check may she go get sumthin to eat. cuz she boney as hell lol i hope she got some fierce lyrics to make up for her looks cuz she aint dat fine if u ask me
                            CRYSTAL [email protected]
                            Presents...

-- The Finest Collection Of Independent MCs To Date --
                            *The Rap Killers Be Here*

.:CC Roster:.
                            :::> Zen :: ALphA-OmeGA :: Urban AKA :: dirteminded82 :: Cutty :: verbal assult :: Kritikal :: Teknique <:::

Comment

she got hot production...

...and a hot ass

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:56 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes