Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

i'm sorry, but i can't believe shit like this is happening in the year 2003:

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"
    "a lot of truth is said in jest"

I wonder if anyone posts here that goes to that school...fuckin idots!

Comment

fourdub lives in that area.......
      "a lot of truth is said in jest"

Comment

Yeah I believe it .Sad but there are parts of GA that you make sure youre ass is out of when the sun goes down .
        Your signature can not be longer than 200 characters.
        ^this is stupid .

Comment

Georgia got some of the most racist shit
          Pour salt in the wound...

Comment

Originally posted by DJ GreenLantern
            fourdub lives in that area.......
            Nah Atlanta is a whole lot bigger than you think .and isnt really in the middle of GA but kinda north west of it
            People still call blacks Colored in some places .Even here on Staten Island .Its in their system
            Your signature can not be longer than 200 characters.
            ^this is stupid .

Comment

the fuck.... what year are we in?
              Originally posted by Made N Hell
              you cant be born with a disease idiot
              - LMAO wtf? how do people like this even find their way to this message board? 2;-{}2

Comment

Damn......what the hell.....??
                WOOOORD FAM

Comment

thats gay shit

Comment

Well I'll be damned, aint dat some shit? :: psssh::

Comment

oh....my.....god.... what a bunch of retards
                      AIM: watch dees81

http://www.myspace.com/famousandflame

Comment

Originally posted by trekei
                        Yeah I believe it .Sad but there are parts of GA that you make sure youre ass is out of when the sun goes down .

hah you speak the truth man. Georgia still has areas where if you see a pick up truck with a confederate flag rolling behind you on a dark road you better watch your ass. Dunno if any of you've ever heard of Stone Mountain. I know Koko, has. Stone Mountain (the actual mountain) used to be where the KKK held meetings and shit. Now its an amusement area or whatever. For years we've been having debates on getting the confederate flag off of the Georgia flag. The confederate flag used to be the state flag. It reperesents hate and racism. We got it to change BUT they still had it on the flag in a corner. I think we just got it passed to have it taken compeletly off. Atlanta has become a big ass mixing pot for all races and shit. Of course you still have your racist, but they are out numbered so they arent a threat. It's crazy cause we still have alot of the old historical places like downtown Stone Mountain, and downtown Lithonia. If you ride through these areas you get the feel of what everything was like back then cause we still have all the old store shops some of the old houses and shit. If your ever in GA. thats some good tourist shit. Every time I roll through I just imagine all the hate that used to go on. I imagine what it was like for everything to be segregated. Sometimes its like im in an old movie or some shit.
                        My lyrics are blueprints to money makin' - Tupac

Comment

that's scary to get that feeling i bet, fuck have you ever seen the movie "Rosewood", that made me think real hard about how bad blacks had it, and if you were white and you wanted to stand up for blacks in those community's or hide runaway slaves that were gonna get killed, then you would get it just as bad as them, I'm glad most of the states is different now but racism still excists everywhere in some form
                          click here to make money doing nuthin

Comment

well there places in America where blacks are very racist and the whites have to "Watch There Backs"

Comment

^^^probably not in vermont
                              click here to make money doing nuthin

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 09:09 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes