April 21, 2010 - Police Order New Probe Of Carl Williams' Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 21, 2010 - Police Order New Probe Of Carl Williams' Death

Victoria Police have all but conceded outside elements may have been behind the bashing murder of underworld killer Carl Williams in prison.

Taskforce Driver was set up on Wednesday to "investigate the circumstances" of Williams' demise as rumours abound that police corruption and Williams' alleged connection to an ongoing criminal matter had contributed to his murder.

A fellow inmate has been charged with Williams' murder, but police deputy commissioner Ken Jones says there are "ramifications and complications" from the killing that mean an inquiry beyond a straightforward homicide investigation was needed.

"I think given Carl Williams' significance in organised criminality it would be a very brave chief that would say this begins and ends with the incident in the area where Carl Williams died," he told reporters.

"(Chief Commissioner) Simon Overland's determined that we leave no stone unturned to make sure whatever complications and ramifications beyond the incident that we uncover them and deal with them.

"Nothing's ruled in or out, it's not specifically about corruption but we have an open mind, the investigating teams will have as much time and space they need get to the bottom of this."

Victoria's police corruption watchdog, the Office of Police Integrity (OPI), announced on Tuesday it would oversee the murder investigation.

Williams, 39, died around an hour after being bashed in an unsupervised exercise room in Barwon Prison's top security Acacia unit at lunchtime on Monday.

Victorian corrections commissioner Bob Hastings could not explain on Wednesday what happened immediately after the attack or whether any prison officers saw the incident on CCTV.

Mr Hastings said "I can't comment" at least 13 times when asked by reporters how Williams was murdered 10 metres from guards in the state's most secure maximum security unit.

He also refused to respond in detail to claims Williams lay dying for up to 25 minutes before prison guards became aware of the incident.

The alleged killer, who can't be named for legal reasons, and a second inmate Tommy Ivanovic, who has not been charged, were with Williams at the time.

A police source told AAP both men had refused to answer questions from homicide detectives.

The source said the men's silence and Williams' involvement in ordering some of Melbourne's most brutal underworld killings meant he had many enemies who wanted him dead and the task of finding out if anyone else was involved would be difficult.

"There are also people that can rest easier with him dead," the source said.

Mr Hastings conceded it was possible corruption may exist among prison staff after it emerged there had been a critical 25-minute delay in getting to Williams.

There have even been suggestions investigators should check the bank accounts of prison officers to see if there have been suspicious or unexplained recent injections of cash.

"I would hope I don't have corrupt staff but it's like the rest of the world, there may be people that are corrupt," Mr Hastings said.

"The people I have spoken to and dealt with haven't given me any indication of that."

Taskforce Driver is now the fourth separate investigation into Williams' murder, adding to those being conducted by the homicide squad, the state Coroner and Corrections Victoria.

Williams was serving a life sentence with a minimum of 35 years for ordering the murders of four gangland rivals.

He was convicted in 2007 of the murders of Jason Moran, Lewis Moran, Mark Mallia and Michael Marshall and was implicated in half a dozen more slayings as he fought to maintain control of Melbourne's drugs trade.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...illiams-death/

Damn.. SHANKED

Comment

Corruption, no doubt.

Comment

I love the way you aussies call it bashed or a bashing

Comment

vic police are all dirty c*^ts! rat bag pricks. I have no sympathy for the fat boy: live by the sword, die by it. To be honest, surprised it took so long.
          "I just dance the way I feel"

Comment

Carl wasn't too bad, he was only cleaning up the shit of society anyway.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Lurker07, 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post Allanmathew  
            Started by Kiryanvasez, Today, 05:05 AM
            0 responses