Saigon put tha lid on "Cass Tha Trash"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saigon put tha lid on "Cass Tha Trash"

In the past few years, Saigon has epitomized the emcee record labels look to sign. Still on the grind, Saigon talks gully about record labels, punchline emcees and XXL Magazine.

Sai's name is on and everybody's lips when it comes to tomorrow's rap stars. Yet, despite countless mixtape appearances, well received singles and guest spots on songs with Mark Ronson, Sly Boogie and others- the gully emcee is still unsigned.

"I'm not following the pimp thing that is really big right now. The industry loves to focus on one thing at a time. If something is big they like to clone it and have everything sound like that one artist," Sai told SOHH.com via phone. "I turned down a lot of f#@$ed up deals. I already got a foundation. I could put out an independent album right now and move 100,000 easy. I was on the And1 mixtape tour. I'm weighing all my options."

This past January, Saigon was nominated alongside Lloyd Banks, Jae Millz and The Diplomats for Best Artist On A Mixtape at the Mixtape Awards. Sai didn't win the honor and he's unimpressed by his competition.

"I don't like too many artists. Like the Lloyd Banks and Cassidy. The punchline dudes. It's cool, but it doesn't move me, Sai explained. "The only dude that I liked was Big L cause he did it in a way, like Lord Finesse used to do it. Now everybody is doing that sh!t. I heard Cassidy's album and I was like, oh man... it's garbage.

According to Sai, labels haven't been the only ones fronting. After catching a break courtesy of The Source Magazine's Unsigned Hype Column a few years back, he befriended music editor Gotti, who has been one of his biggest supporters to date. Though XXL magazine routinely features unsigned artists, Saigon has never been profiled in the publication.

"XXL wasn't giving me no love because of my relationship with Gotti and their feud with The Source. And they know I deserved it," Sai revealed obviously frustrated before concluding his record deal theory.

Next up, he'll take time out of the booth to try his acting skills in the forthcoming "Rage And Discipline." However, don't expect Sai to go Hollywood. In the end, he's planning to get paid despite sleepy record executives.

"I put out a mixtape with Kay Slay and Whoo Kid two years ago and more people than ever before are ordering it now. I guess they had no knowledge and they're just now finding out," Sai offered. "I plan on cakin' off this year. I expect labels to hand me a huge sum of money."

Already posted but no biggie, glad to see more people are recognizing Saigon as of late.....
    I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by jhonydejws, Today, 12:11 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post jhonydejws  
    Started by MovirnHkrldea, Today, 12:04 AM
    0 responses